firearms free zones

firearms free zones

This is a discussion on firearms free zones within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So this is kind of cliche, I am writing a paper for my ultra liberal english instructor, certain parts of his lectures have influenced me ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: firearms free zones

  1. #1
    New Member Array SSGAlex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    11

    firearms free zones

    So this is kind of cliche, I am writing a paper for my ultra liberal english instructor, certain parts of his lectures have influenced me to write about getting rid of firearms free zones.

    Has anyone read of or heard of any instructors or students at VA Tech or other school with shootings who had a CCW but was unarmed because of the law. If there was anyone who should have been armed like the Suzanna Hupp scenario in Killeen I would like to include it in my paper.


  2. #2
    Member Array .45acpguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    360
    Wow! Great timing for me to have some kind of answer for you!

    I just listened to this past week's Hour 1 (of 3 hours) podcast of Armed American Radio. I get all three hours because it is so well done. It is a weekly show.

    But now to your point: They had an all female panel of guests. One of them was in a bar with her husband and a persistent stalker came into the bar and shot her husband dead. She had a CCW but was unable--due to the law--to carry it on her in a bar. Due to her testimony, the law was changed so that those who have a CCW can now carry in a bar--but only if they do not consume any alcohol. There were other amazing stories by women. Please download this past week's shows--one will automatically download but on iTunes, you can opt to get the others as well--it was a very good week for me todo so.

    I hope that provides a big boost for your paper. Let us all know how it turns out.

  3. #3
    VIP Member Array livewire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    2,054
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGAlex View Post
    Has anyone read of or heard of any instructors or students at VA Tech or other school with shootings who had a CCW but was unarmed because of the law. If there was anyone who should have been armed like the Suzanna Hupp scenario in Killeen I would like to include it in my paper.
    Wasn't there a high school shooting where the Principal ran out to his truck and got his 1911, then restrained the shooter? I remember hearing about it in regards to allowing faculty with CCW to carry at high schools.



    Quote Originally Posted by .45acpguy View Post
    Wow! Great timing for me to have some kind of answer for you!

    I just listened to this past week's Hour 1 (of 3 hours) podcast of Armed American Radio. I get all three hours because it is so well done. It is a weekly show.Please download this past week's shows--one will automatically download but on iTunes, you can opt to get the others as well--it was a very good week for me todo so.
    ...
    I hope that provides a big boost for your paper. Let us all know how it turns out.
    Is it available anywhere besides iTunes?
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

  4. #4
    Member Array F350_6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    247
    Quote Originally Posted by livewire View Post
    Wasn't there a high school shooting where the Principal ran out to his truck and got his 1911, then restrained the shooter? I remember hearing about it in regards to allowing faculty with CCW to carry at high schools.
    No, that's just an internet rumor. He was only a vice principal at the time. Google Pearl High School shooting.

    Quote Originally Posted by SSGAlex View Post
    So this is kind of cliche, I am writing a paper for my ultra liberal english instructor, certain parts of his lectures have influenced me to write about getting rid of firearms free zones.

    Has anyone read of or heard of any instructors or students at VA Tech or other school with shootings who had a CCW but was unarmed because of the law. If there was anyone who should have been armed like the Suzanna Hupp scenario in Killeen I would like to include it in my paper.
    First off, you should expect to get a bad grade. You're not going to convince your professor his opinion is wrong by trying to argue the point with facts or logic, but beyond that, google Peter Odighizuwa. Just a stones throw from VA tech, but a different shooting stopped by armed citizens.

    There are also several books with these types of stories that your professor can discount as right wing jargon. Massad Ayoob has a couple of books full of these types of stories. A good read even if he might embellish just a little. Or look online here or at the recent news with good guy grandpas shooting bad guys in Florida.
    jblives2ride likes this.

  5. #5
    VIP Member Array livewire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    2,054
    Quote Originally Posted by F350_6 View Post
    No, that's just an internet rumor. He was only a vice principal at the time. Google Pearl High School shooting.
    Well played...
    Quote Originally Posted by F350_6 View Post
    First off, you should expect to get a bad grade. You're not going to convince your professor his opinion is wrong by trying to argue the point with facts or logic, but beyond that, google Peter Odighizuwa. Just a stones throw from VA tech, but a different shooting stopped by armed citizens.

    There are also several books with these types of stories that your professor can discount as right wing jargon. Massad Ayoob has a couple of books full of these types of stories. A good read even if he might embellish just a little. Or look online here or at the recent news with good guy grandpas shooting bad guys in Florida.
    The Concealed Handgun Manual comes to mind, they cite plenty of good stories, including the shooting in Killeen, Texas you mentioned that led to their CCW laws.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

  6. #6
    Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,249
    I can tell you from experience, you don't step on Superman's cape. No matter how well written, factually accurate or structurally put together, the man with the power will cut your legs off. He won't get mad, he'll get even. School rooms are not called guided democracies for nothing.

  7. #7
    VIP Member Array SmokinFool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,297
    I agree with the responses you've gotten so far. It may be a fun project for you, but don't expect much from the professor. As long as you go into it with the understanding that a poor grade may indeed result from it, and you still want to do it anyway, I say go for it.
    Last edited by SmokinFool; September 8th, 2012 at 01:53 AM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Array sdprof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Near the Black Hills of SD
    Posts
    1,129
    As others have noted, your prof may try to downgrade your paper because it treads on his sensitive toes.

    Don't let him do it. Check your college's policy manual for something along the lines of "Freedom of Education" - there should be something similar to:
    To secure student freedom in learning, faculty members in the classroom and in seminar should encourage free and orderly discussion, inquiry and expression of the course subject matter. Student performance may be evaluated solely on an academic basis, not on opinions or conduct in matters unrelated to academic standards.
    If your paper is grammatically correct and your points clearly articulated, the grade it receives should be apparent.
    Ionracas and undisclos3d like this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

    I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Array JJVP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    539
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGAlex View Post
    So this is kind of cliche, I am writing a paper for my ultra liberal english instructor, certain parts of his lectures have influenced me to write about getting rid of firearms free zones. Has anyone read of or heard of any instructors or students at VA Tech or other school with shootings who had a CCW but was unarmed because of the law. If there was anyone who should have been armed like the Suzanna Hupp scenario in Killeen I would like to include it in my paper.
    Amanda Collins a college student and CHL holder was raped at gun point at the University of Nevada. The rapist went on to rape and kill another student a few weeks later.

    Opponents of Gun-Free Zones at Universities Find Unlikely Hero in Nevada Woman | Fox News

  10. #10
    VIP Member Array livewire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    2,054
    Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    As others have noted, your prof may try to downgrade your paper because it treads on his sensitive toes.

    Don't let him do it. Check your college's policy manual for something along the lines of "Freedom of Education" - there should be something similar to:


    If your paper is grammatically correct and your points clearly articulated, the grade it receives should be apparent.
    While correct, you're being a little hopeful here... OP is going to have to challenge his retaliatory bad grade within the same system as the one that issued it.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

  11. #11
    VIP Member Array Crowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    West Allis WI
    Posts
    2,761
    One of the most asinine no weapons laws comes from the federal government......
    For national security reasons, guns cannot be carried into federal facilities within national parks. Notice of this rule will be clearly displayed outside all federal facilities. If you are unsure if a park building is a federal facility, look for a sign or ask a park ranger. http://www.nps.gov/yell/parkmgmt/upl...IMR_2-2010.pdf

    For national security reasons... Right, and pigs now fly non-stop to Rome.... Talk about a crock of ----......

    Truth be told the government (federal, state and local) should adhere to the 2nd amendment and allow weapons in there buildings. Banning weapons should only be for the rarest of circumstances rather than the norm.
    ericb327 and sdprof like this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

    Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

  12. #12
    New Member Array SSGAlex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    11
    Thank you for the responses I will check out the Armed American Radio and the concealed handgun guide. I know I could be setting myself up, but this is an argument research paper, and with this in limbo as part of a constitutional amendment in LA it is a valid subject. I have found some good news stories about college students on Students for Concealed Carry but nothing directly relating a disarmed individual and an active shooter.

  13. #13
    New Member Array SSGAlex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    11
    Thank you JJVP!

  14. #14
    VIP Member Array Eagleks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    7,860
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGAlex View Post
    So this is kind of cliche, I am writing a paper for my ultra liberal english instructor, certain parts of his lectures have influenced me to write about getting rid of firearms free zones.

    Has anyone read of or heard of any instructors or students at VA Tech or other school with shootings who had a CCW but was unarmed because of the law. If there was anyone who should have been armed like the Suzanna Hupp scenario in Killeen I would like to include it in my paper.
    I'ld point out, there are obviously no such thing as a "gun free zone" .... and that most mass shootings , etc. have all occurred in "gun free zones". Obviously they weren't "gun free" .... criminals don't care about the law, nor the signs, nor the concept, nor .... does it stop them from committing mass murder. So, they are useless in stopping any mass shootings, robberies, rapes or other similar crimes. So, "gun free zones" are only effective with "law - abiding" citizens, from which no one should be in fear of in the first place, as they aren't the ones out committing the murders, rapes, robberies, mass shootings, etc.

    So... really .... since when , has there been "no guns" ...... in "gun free zones" ..... never. They denote only .... "criminals" (mass shooters and murderers only) who don't care about the law...can carry a gun in them. All law-abiding citizens are expected to surrender themselves to being good victims.... because they won't be able to defend themselves.

    When .... has "any" law , prevented violence or someone from using a gun to rob, rape, or kill someone ? Chicago.... example # 1. Wash DC ... example # 2. California... home of the most serial murderers anywhere in the world...... example # 3.

    It's failed logic, built on the premise that only law-abiding people will follow it anyway.... so it's an instant fail.

    To your last question..... "yes" ... Aurora theatre in Colorado, had CC people in there who were disarmed due to the signage on the theatre.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

  15. #15
    VIP Member Array multistage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NW Iowa
    Posts
    2,464
    I'd agree. No such animal as a gun free zone, except to those of us who don't cause trouble anyway.

    While this is not a campus incident, not too long ago in a state that mandates an anti gun sign carries the weight of law (you know, a gun free zone), there was a pretty bad deal at a Batman movie. Seems some guy carried a gun (!) into a gun free zone and opened fire on innocent folks. Not really sure how that could happen, considering that the location was, after all, legally a gun free zone.

    Perhaps your professor is familiar with that story.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •