Massachusetts non-res permit - What's the REAL scoop?

This is a discussion on Massachusetts non-res permit - What's the REAL scoop? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have my WV (res), NH (nr), PA (nr), and FL (nr) ccw permits. I would really like to get my non-resident Massachusetts. From my ...

Thread: Massachusetts non-res permit - What's the REAL scoop?

Massachusetts non-res permit - What's the REAL scoop?

I have my WV (res), NH (nr), PA (nr), and FL (nr) ccw permits. I would really like to get my non-resident Massachusetts.

From my initial research I know that I will need to apply to the Attorney General's office for a temporary license to carry that lasts only one year and costs $100.00. I don't like that a lot, but am ok with it regardless, so long as I am able to legally carry in MA.

I have heard so many different comments from different directions ranging from "it's almost impossible to get" to "if you have your home state ccw permit, it's easier to get your non-res permit than if you lived in MA and tried to get a resident permit".

I know that I have to list some sort of reason I am applying for the permit, and I have heard some say that "all legal purposes" is fine, while others say it won't do.

PLEASE, someone (anyone who is willing to respond) enlighten me!

Has anyone recently went through this process? If there has been a recent post on this topic, please excuse my ignorance and refer me to the post.

I haven't been on this forum long, but you guys seem so willing to help and so informed that it seems like the right group to ask.

Thanks for your help,

ccWV

2. Remove Ads

Hi
    I live in Mass. I don't know about Non-res. rules. But it can be near impossible to get your LTC. I could not get a LTC where I lived before From what i have read you have to call the state police. For non-res.LTC.
    All LTC's are [ALL LAWFUL PURPOSE], OR [TARGET AND HUNTING.]
    You cannot carry concealed with the later class LTC.
    You can try packing.org if it is working. It seems to be down alot latley.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Here's some straight scoop!

- Disclaimer, I know a lot about the MA LTC/FID issues, but focus on those for Residents. I'll admit where I am not as knowledgeable about the Non-Resident process, however I do have some resources to help fill in those gaps.

- LOTS of rumors about MA gun laws, licensing, etc. and many of them are just patently untrue.

- Packing.org had some horribly wrong info on it about MA, is not kept up to date and other than the links to State Laws and State departments, I would NOT rely on it for anything else.

- MGL Ch. 140 S. 131F & S. 131G covers Non-Residents licensing. http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131f.htm http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131g.htm

- The AG does NOT have anything to do with licensing, and that is a good thing or all licenses would be banned in MA!! The Firearms Review Board has been designated by Mass State Police to issue NR LTCs. Call them and they will send you the forms and instructions. From: http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopsterm...aqs&csid=Eeops

Q: Can a nonresident obtain a permit to carry a weapon in Massachusetts?

A: M.G.L. c. 140, 131F allows the Colonel of the State Police or his designee to issue a temporary LTC to nonresidents or persons not falling within the jurisdiction of a local licensing authority. Currently, the Firearms Record Bureau (FRB) has been designated to issue permits to nonresidents. The phone number of the FRB is (617) 660-4780.
    - Under reason, fill out "All Lawful Purposes". Best info is that this flies. It is my (limited) understanding that ALL NR LTCs are issued as LTC-A/ALP, but occasionally we hear unsubstantiated (nobody has ever offered proof) stories that they won't accept "All Lawful Purposes" or some other stuff. Like I stated, I've never seen or heard any first hand evidence to this effect.

- FRB will issue a LTC as long as you meet the statutory requirements, period! Residents have to go thru their local chief and this has led to 351 cities and towns making up their own requirements in addition to the statutory requirements. So, yes it is easier to get a NR LTC than for a MA Resident to get their LTC!

- As part of the initial application process, you need a MA State Police issued training certificate. Only certain courses qualify (including a number of NRA courses) and the trainer must pay a fee to MA to become a MSP certified trainer. I'm sure that there are many who live outside MA, just like I took my FL required training in MA from a FL certified trainer.

If you want more info on this topic, you can find it in the Gun Law subforum on NortheastShooters.com I am a Moderator over there and the forum focuses on issues affecting those of us in the Northeast region of the US.

HTH

Thank You

Thanks, Guys!

whitetrashfarm, thanks for the info on the state police v. AG filing!

LenS, thank you for the detailed guidance and site reference! I will check it out right away, find a proper course from a certified trainer, then apply.

For reference, I'll post my progress so others who are interested in their NR MA permit might gain an inside track!

Thanks again,

ccWV

Lew
    That is good news... I may do just the same. It would make it much easier to travel that way...
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

I have had mine for a couple of months.

Prety straightforward for me. Filled out the form, got printed, sent it in, waited about 8 weeks.

My reason was not "all lawful purposes". I have heard mixed things about it. I went into the real reason, in a short 10-15 word "paragraph". I do have a LTC in NH (home state), and DID have a LTC when I was a MA resident (a couple of years back), so I'm not sure if this helped.

That said, I also enclosed my NRA course (required), as well as some cert's for some of the other courses that I have taken. I did also indicate that I cary daily in NH.

Good luck.

M
    Ex-MA Hole on THR and TFL, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-MA Hole View Post
    My reason was not "all lawful purposes". I have heard mixed things about it. I went into the real reason, in a short 10-15 word "paragraph". I do have a LTC in NH (home state), and DID have a LTC when I was a MA resident (a couple of years back), so I'm not sure if this helped.
    That said, I also enclosed my NRA course (required), as well as some cert's for some of the other courses that I have taken. I did also indicate that I cary daily in NH.
    Good luck.
    M
    'All Lawful Purposes' alone does not work. They will not accept this. It is as was posted, you need to explain in a short 10-15 word statement, why you feel you need to carry.
    My NRA instructor made this point very clear in one of the classes I took a few years ago. He is a MA state Police Trainer as well as an NRA instructor. This was a nice plus, since I also received a MA state Police pistol certificate from his class.

I have obtained my MA NR License. Reason for carrying: I listed that I routinely carry large amounts of cash as I am in charge of payroll for my company. This was the truth.

At $100.00 per year. it's expensive, but worth it.

Good Luck!

I've had my ma non-res for the last couple of years, it's a pita to jump the hoops, but does not seem hard to get, issue-wise.

Links