How long is too long to carry defense ammo

This is a discussion on How long is too long to carry defense ammo within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If a gun is dripping with oil to the point that it seeps into your primers, then you're using too much oil and not wiping ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: How long is too long to carry defense ammo

If a gun is dripping with oil to the point that it seeps into your primers, then you're using too much oil and not wiping it down enough.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Like I said, I have shot ammo that is 20 or so years old with no problems. I sent a note to Federal about it, I will be out of touch for a week (no computer) so next weekend I will see if Federal has anything to say about it. I will post their opinion on it.

I donít use oil on my guns, they are wiped down after lubing. Just for the record, I have put factory cartridges and my reloads, in water for several days and had no miss haps with them.

The cartages would have been chambered at random many times over the time I was carrying them, as I would go to an IDPA match or practice once a week just about every weekend for several years, before I bought some match/practice magazines.

Told you I was thrifty.
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

Quote Originally Posted by ntkb View Post
    Like I said, I have shot ammo that is 20 or so years old with no problems. I sent a note to Federal about it, I will be out of touch for a week (no computer) so next weekend I will see if Federal has anything to say about it. I will post their opinion on it.

I don’t use oil on my guns, they are wiped down after lubing. Just for the record, I have put factory cartridges and my reloads, in water for several days and had no miss haps with them.

The cartages would have been chambered at random many times over the time I was carrying them, as I would go to an IDPA match or practice once a week just about every weekend for several years, before I bought some match/practice magazines.

Told you I was thrifty.
    That's might be the issue right there. Way more likely a primer seating issue than the age of the rounds.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I rotate my stuff out about once a month.

Primer seating isn’t the problem, because they didn't go off with a second try they all had healthy dents in them. I think if they weren’t rechambered who knows how many times, it wouldn’t have occurred at all.

How long is too long to carry defense ammo
    Truth be known.....when the brass cases start to get pitted, and when the nickle plated cases start to get dark spots. If a fungus starts growing around the case neck/bullet...greenish or bluish.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I carry re-loads which I buy in 300-round lots, and run it periodically, so nothing gets old.
    You carry reloads as SD ammo? Not me. I'll practice, hunt & compete with reloads. But I WON'T carry reloaded ammo in my EDC.

As for how long is prudent to trust it? I've experienced a half-dozen FTFs that I can honestly attribute to "bad" centerfire bullets in tens of thousands of rounds. None of those were because of age. There's no rhyme or reason to it, but yearly rotation just feels better to me.
    lchamp likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    When I was a kid in the 60's we were shooting ammo left over from WWI. The ammo from WWII was better and that was 20+ years old. If you let oil get into your primers there is no safe time limit for your ammunition.
    I had that experience, ammo kept dry will last a long time. Too much oil is also a bad thing. Funny, a young man I know,who is a real gun nut, said he likes to shoot all his ammo every month before it 'goes bad', as he told me. I just smiled, if he has the money,go for it.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

No longer than a year...

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Truth be known.....when the brass cases start to get pitted, and when the nickle plated cases start to get dark spots. If a fungus starts growing around the case neck/bullet...greenish or bluish.
    I shot some old Sears rimfire 22 that was just as you describe above and every bit of it fired without fail. I wish I had taken pictures.
    mr.stuart likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Some questions.

HydroShok ammo. Can't imagine that time, alone, is what caused the misfires.

You said 5-7yrs since purchase. Any clue on the manufactured date?

If your gun fired plenty of other ammo without trouble, before and after the duds, then I would think it's likely those particular cartridges were to blame. If so, then probably something either got to the primers, or the primers were of a batch/lot that went bad within that time frame.

If you only fired those rounds and nothing else successfully before or since (during that range session), then it's entirely possible your gun's firing pin has some issue, or perhaps crud got in the way. When's the last fully-detailed strip and cleaning you've performed on that gun?

Did you fire the ammo successfully in some other pistol, that day?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I just don't like the Hydroshock personally, heard so many bad stories that rise basically from quality. Ever consider HST or PDX1 or GD?

I rotate mine out when I want to practice with it. Every 2-3 months, never had an issue with my HST in the Glock.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I shot some old Sears rimfire 22 that was just as you describe above and every bit of it fired without fail. I wish I had taken pictures.
    Well....just worse case scenario. Trying to establish a base here. What's acceptable and what might be over the edge. I've seen this movie myself, but not very often. It won't make the history channel even though it's impressive to us at the time. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Some questions.

HydroShok ammo. Can't imagine that time, alone, is what caused the misfires.

You said 5-7yrs since purchase. Any clue on the manufactured date?

If your gun fired plenty of other ammo without trouble, before and after the duds, then I would think it's likely those particular cartridges were to blame. If so, then probably something either got to the primers, or the primers were of a batch/lot that went bad within that time frame.

If you only fired those rounds and nothing else successfully before or since (during that range session), then it's entirely possible your gun's firing pin has some issue, or perhaps crud got in the way. When's the last fully-detailed strip and cleaning you've performed on that gun?

Did you fire the ammo successfully in some other pistol, that day?
    I ran through over 100 rounds that day on drills. I never meant to blame the ammo, as I stated earlier I think it’s because of rechambering, causing the primer charge to be displaced, so when the firing pin hits the primer cup there is no charge to get crushed and no bang.

I am reasonably certain contamination was not a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by FLArmadillo View Post
    I just don't like the Hydroshock personally, heard so many bad stories that rise basically from quality.
    Really like what? I know it’s not the latest stuff out there but I have done some comparisons and found it to be good stuff, of course it wasn’t scientific testing.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links