How long is too long to carry defense ammo

This is a discussion on How long is too long to carry defense ammo within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I never worried about "aging ammo" when carrying/firing my DA revolvers. Now that I'm carrying autoloaders, I like to rotate out the actual carry ammo. ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: How long is too long to carry defense ammo

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I never worried about "aging ammo" when carrying/firing my DA revolvers. Now that I'm carrying autoloaders, I like to rotate out the actual carry ammo. That can get rather expensive, but every time I remove a live round (that has been chambered) from my carry gun, I set it aside for the next range trip. That is probably just paranoia, but so be it.

2. Remove Ads

Err, ahh have any of you ever checked the date of manufacture, against your purchase date?

Regarding 'reloads', that is 'all' that I trust my life to, now 89. While I did pick up a few scars, none were due to faulty ammo, You can be sure that I was hyper careful in sealing and handling of the components, Never have had a mis-fire, dud, or failure of any kind.

oops, sorry, in 1942, during WW-2, I scrounged up an ole S&W revolver from WW-1 issue, that handled the .45 ACPi cartridge nicely It seated on the lip of the cartridge, so didn't need the half moon clips that the colt did. Once in a delicate situation, it went plup, not BOOM.

Being of steely, cold nerves, despite the noise - 'yeah, of course', snicker - I opened the cylinder and peered down the barrel. Sure enough there was a round lodged in the throat of the barrel, far enough in to allow the cylinder to still freely rotate..

Finding a stick of suitable size I managed to clear the barrel. It turned out that the cartridge had had no powder, just the primer, prob 1 of a 100,000,000 chance, but it did happen to 'me', the most important guy in my world, sigh.

Don Jose de La Mancha
    FLArmadillo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tayopo View Post
    Err, ahh have any of you ever checked the date of manufacture, against your purchase date?

Regarding 'reloads', that is 'all' that I trust my life to, now 89. While I did pick up a few scars, none were due to faulty ammo, You can be sure that I was hyper careful in sealing and handling of the components, Never have had a mis-fire, dud, or failure of any kind.

oops, sorry, in 1942, during WW-2, I scrounged up an ole S&W revolver from WW-1 issue, that handled the .45 ACPi cartridge nicely It seated on the lip of the cartridge, so didn't need the half moon clips that the colt did. Once in a delicate situation, it went plup, not BOOM.

Being of steely, cold nerves, despite the noise - 'yeah, of course', snicker - I opened the cylinder and peered down the barrel. Sure enough there was a round lodged in the throat of the barrel, far enough in to allow the cylinder to still freely rotate..

Finding a stick of suitable size I managed to clear the barrel. It turned out that the cartridge had had no powder, just the primer, prob 1 of a 100,000,000 chance, but it did happen to 'me', the most important guy in my world, sigh.

Don Jose de La Mancha
    Great story Tayopo, I rotate my carry ammos every 3-4 months

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm just too dang cheap to put a "Use By" date on ammo. The last batch of WWII GI .30-06 ammo I fired last year still went bang. Several had split necks, but bang they went.

I only shoot up "old" SD ammo when I get something new I want to carry.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I also feel that my "modern day" carry ammo can stand the test of time. I do not feel my carry ammo will "expire" unless it is exposed to unusual conditions.
    Former US Army SFC
    LTC-Class A HC: MA
    AG License: RI
    LTC: CT

I shoot personal defense rounds after a year -- just to be sure and for the experience. They are different than range ammo.
    Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen.
    -- Jeff Cooper

Like others I only change my ammo when I decide to change to a different load. I'm not concerned whatsoever about it going bad, but I also don't believe in chambering, re-chambering. Who does that? Load your weapon and leave it loaded. If safety is a concern, put it in a safe or out of reach.
    lchamp likes this.
    “Our lives come from God. So does our right to defend them”
    There is only one gun law in this country, the 2nd Amendment. All else is bureaucratic nonsense that I choose to comply with or not at my discretion.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links