50 state ccw...

This is a discussion on 50 state ccw... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I have been looking around, and have not found an answer. I have a CHL for the state of Oregon. I currently live in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 50 state ccw...

50 state ccw...

So I have been looking around, and have not found an answer. I have a CHL for the state of Oregon. I currently live in Oregon.
    My goal is to get as many states covered for me to carry in. What would be the fewest states for me to apply for, in order to carry in as many states as possible?

For instance, if I get one in washington, I can carry in ND, TX, WI, OH, LA, AR, MS, VA.

Not a big deal, but if it's doable, I think it would be nice to have the options open.

2. Remove Ads

Florida's non-resident license would get you covered in a good many states that your Oregon license doesn't cover.
    FLArmadillo likes this.

I think Utah or Florida would be your best bet. I've got my PA CCW and I'm looking at getting a FL to open up everything I'd need, but my uncle is looking at the UT, which would open up a good bit of the country. From what I understand, getting the Utah one takes a bit of work since you have to take one of their approved classes.

Check out the USACarry map. It's pretty neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant48 View Post
    Florida's non-resident license would get you covered in a good many states that your Oregon license doesn't cover.
    That's what I did. I travel the I95 corridor quite a bit between ME and FL so I wanted to be legal all along the way (or at least as much as permissible by law). The FL permit gives me a lot of coverage, but some states such as SC, won't recognize an out of state CCW permit from FL, so you'd have to make an effort to obtain that particular states permit. NY and NJ are ridiculous, but that's a topic for another thread.

So florida and utah is my best bet then it sounds like. Is navada in there somewhere? I make yearly visits to las vegas, so having that would be a bonus.

Thanks for being so fast to respond!

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    Get the FL. It is valid in WA and most of the states in your area. It is a little more expensive but is valid for 7 years which makes it a good deal. Training is also much easier to obtain than for a UT.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

The easiest is to come up a d take the UT at Insight. The class is $145.00 and you can carry in 33 states

http://www.insightstraining.com/view...p?courseID=221

Sent via Mental Power

OR + UT makes for a decent combination.

It all depends on which states you want to travel to.

Be aware that some states do recognize out-of-state licenses but require that you be a resident of that issuing state in order for them to recognize it. Caution. Do your homework.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by tropicoz View Post
    That's what I did. I travel the I95 corridor quite a bit between ME and FL so I wanted to be legal all along the way (or at least as much as permissible by law). The FL permit gives me a lot of coverage, but some states such as SC, won't recognize an out of state CCW permit from FL, so you'd have to make an effort to obtain that particular states permit. NY and NJ are ridiculous, but that's a topic for another thread.
    You mean SC won't accept another states non-resident permit. They do have reciprocity with other states.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    OR + UT makes for a decent combination.

It all depends on which states you want to travel to.

Be aware that some states do recognize out-of-state licenses but require that you be a resident of that issuing state in order for them to recognize it. Caution. Do your homework.
    Ditto on the homework. Oregon + Utah is a great combo, easy to get and not that costly.
    "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Lewis

I took the Utah in Clackamas not long ago. Not that spendy and easy to get. And, they also had an option to add The Florida permit.
    "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Lewis

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    The states of Michigan, Maine, New Hampshire, South Carolina, Colorado and Florida will only honor resident permits from the states they honor. They will not honor a non resident permit from the states they honor.

If you want to read about all the little quirks in Reciprocity and how states honor other states permit/licenses you can read it Here
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/CreateAMapNotice.pdf
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

I have an SC CWP & a New Hampshire non-resident permit mainly
    for Al, Ga, Pa, Co ,,,,, Do wish there was a 50 state permit,,,,
    Ca, Ny, & IL would NEVER be included if THEY CAN STOP IT.

I have no idea why SC doesn't honor the AL license.

Really I wish they had a country wide license like the drivers license system where one would take a test and firing test and they're legal in all 50 states. This way we don't have to screw around with non resident permits and looking to see if you can go through a state without disarming yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Hudnall78 View Post
    So florida and utah is my best bet then it sounds like. Is navada in there somewhere? I make yearly visits to las vegas, so having that would be a bonus.
    IDK what it's like to get a permit in RI, but they are accepted in Nevada.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links