school parking lots

This is a discussion on school parking lots within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; do they count as school grounds? not clear on this. i have been parking in the street and locking up the gun when i go ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: school parking lots

school parking lots

do they count as school grounds? not clear on this. i have been parking in the street and locking up the gun when i go in the school to pick up my kids because i was unsure of this.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

2. Remove Ads

If the school controls/owns the property, I'd say that's conclusive. Lacking knowledge of the ownership, I'd err on the side of assuming it's all the school's property unless you get clear posted indication it isn't (that is, the main and ancillary grounds, facilities, yards, walkways, driveways, and whatever else is inside the surrounding sidewalk/border that clearly isn't part of the school's presence).

Though, as you probably know, state statutes vary with respect to what consists of the lawfully allowable grounds and those elements disallowed. Be sure you know your own state's distinctions, in the statutes.

For example, some states allow lawful carry in the car or person in the driveways, so long as you don't exit the car. Some states allow on the grounds but not in the buildings. And some states don't allow lawful carry anywhere on the property, anywhere for any purpose, other than official school "events."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

In Wisconsin generally I believe they do not apply if you have a Wisconsin permit (if you do not both Wisconsin and federal laws prevent you from being within 1,000 feet of a school). If you have an out of state permit then you cannot even park on the street and lock up the gun when you pick up your kids. That's my read.

from the wisconsin permit application :

948.605 (2) FIREARMS ON SCHOOL GROUNDS No licensee may knowingly possess a firearm in or on the grounds of a school.
    so my question is to the definition of "school grounds". i would think the parking lot would fall into that category but like i said, i am unsure.

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    so my question is to the definition of "school grounds". i would think the parking lot would fall into that category but like i said, i am unsure.
    Read all of 948.605. It's in there.

Specifically, in the "Definitions" paragraph of 948.605(1), you'll find 948.605(1)(b) and 948.605(1)(c). That should define both grounds/property and "zone" for you, as it pertains to the statute.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

In South Carolina, school grounds includes the parking lot. We had our CCW laws amended recently (within the past couple of years) to allow CCW holders the ability to enter "school grounds" and not violate state law by doing so while armed... before the law was amended, we would have to go home and disarm prior to entering the parking lot... this includes day care facilities.

Honest? Don't test it. Illegal here as well, daycare and schools.

VIP Member
    Most places I'm aware of consider it part of the school grounds, unless separated from the school itself, for example the school is on one side of the street and the parking lot is on the other. Of course it would still come down to whether the school owns/leases the land the parking lot is on. When in doubt, err on the side of caution and consider it school grounds.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

a friend of mine is a cop. i sent him a message. waiting to hear back.

This is one Michigan got right. You can have it in the parking lot just not concealed in the building. My understanding is that was put in just for the reasons listed. What about when picking up your kids? You can lock it in the car to go into the school if need be. I have heard OC is legal in this case but have not bothered to research as I don't have school age kids and no real need to go to the school other than to vote.

When I received my permit many years ago in Ky you could pick up your child in the parking lot with your weapon concealed. I recently researched it and they must have amended things. Can anyone from Ky verify this or am I senile for remembering incorrectly?

GH
    My grandson goes to a church school in Milwaukee. When our concealed carry law came into effect the principal, Board of Education & pastors checked with the state because we have a lot of CCLers at that church. The State said it was a no-go on school property. Since that includes the parking lot & the fact that the school is attached to the church that means no guns in the school, church, parking lot or any of the rest of the land unfortunately. An exception was asked for & denied by the State even though this was private property. I (& many others) wonder if someone else in authority at the state was asked if he'd say it was okay. I take my grandson to school in the morning & therefore go unarmed. I know nobody at the school or church would blow the whistle on me if I "forgot" to disarm. I only get out of the car to let the grandson exit & besides, concealed is concealed.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I believe in FL is the same. I wish someone will explain this in detail for FL. Good topic.

Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    My grandson goes to a church school in Milwaukee. When our concealed carry law came into effect the principal, Board of Education & pastors checked with the state because we have a lot of CCLers at that church. The State said it was a no-go on school property. Since that includes the parking lot & the fact that the school is attached to the church that means no guns in the school, church, parking lot or any of the rest of the land unfortunately. An exception was asked for & denied by the State even though this was private property. I (& many others) wonder if someone else in authority at the state was asked if he'd say it was okay. I take my grandson to school in the morning & therefore go unarmed. I know nobody at the school or church would blow the whistle on me if I "forgot" to disarm. I only get out of the car to let the grandson exit & besides, concealed is concealed.
    yes my cop friend confirmed this. i park on the road and lock it up. was just trying to find out, my life would be easier if i didn't have to.

Check your state laws.

Here GA allows a permit carrier to have a posses a firearm while picking up or dropping off a student. It's a bit vague as it doesn't specify that you can or cannot enter a school while carrying. But convenient nonetheless. Now if only I didn't have to park across the street to go to the post office...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links