Carry and Indian Reservations

This is a discussion on Carry and Indian Reservations within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by RichB70 When I drive thru reservations I am very careful about speed and all traffic laws. Avoiding meeting the local LEO is ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 53
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Carry and Indian Reservations

  1. #16
    Ex Member Array scott_g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by RichB70 View Post
    When I drive thru reservations I am very careful about speed and all traffic laws. Avoiding meeting the local LEO is important as first step. Common sense and good behavior is always a good rule.


    Rich
    That's all find and dandy until you're (potentially) taken someplace on the rez against your will and they find your firearm(s). "Against your will" as in unconscious from a traffic accident, medical emergency, etc. Don't think for a SECOND it can't happen to you.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    VIP Member Array mlr1m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    okla
    Posts
    4,298
    This thread make has got me to thinking. In Oklahoma we do not have and never had Reservations. We have land owned and governed by tribes. If a Tribe buys a piece of land along the interstate and builds a store it becomes tribal land. These small parcels are under Tribal law. I wonder how many people walk into these establishments armed and not knowing that they just entered Tribal lands?

    Michael

  4. #18
    Ex Member Array scott_g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    This thread make has got me to thinking. In Oklahoma we do not have and never had Reservations. We have land owned and governed by tribes. If a Tribe buys a piece of land along the interstate and builds a store it becomes tribal land. These small parcels are under Tribal law. I wonder how many people walk into these establishments armed and not knowing that they just entered Tribal lands?

    Michael
    Same thing in the Prescott area of AZ with businesses on tribal lands. And, LOTS of people open carry in that area of AZ, as I see it all the time when I visit family. Never heard of anyone being arrested or detained for it, though. I guess the Yavapai either don't care or they realize how STUPID it would be to harass people about it because they'd lose a ton of business from people boycotting. That is a very pro-gun area with Ruger and Gunsite Academy right there locally.

  5. #19
    Member Array SFCDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    179
    I'm glad someone brought this up as I wondered the legality of this.

  6. #20
    Ex Member Array scott_g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by SFCDan View Post
    I'm glad someone brought this up as I wondered the legality of this.
    And, you'll never get a concrete answer, either. Too many variables...

  7. #21
    Member Array ken45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by scott_g View Post
    And, you'll never get a concrete answer, either. Too many variables...
    But of course, when we are traveling, we are REQUIRED to know what law applies....

  8. #22
    Ex Member Array scott_g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by ken45 View Post
    But of course, when we are traveling, we are REQUIRED to know what law applies....
    Good luck finding them all out, too... Since this thread is about Indian reservations, a lot of those so-called "laws" aren't even codified and/or written down. They're just passed on word-of-mouth and can change at any time. It's not like there's some internet database, such as handgunlaw.us, you can search for reservations/laws in every state.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; September 19th, 2012 at 09:45 PM.

  9. #23
    Senior Member Array sdprof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Near the Black Hills of SD
    Posts
    1,015
    Quote Originally Posted by scott_g View Post
    Good luck finding them all out, too... Since this thread is about Indian reservations, a lot of those so-called "laws" aren't even codified and/or written down. They're just passed on word-of-mouth and can change at any time depending on how "red man no like white man with boom stick" on his land that particular day. It's not like there's some internet database, such as handgunlaw.us, you can search for reservations/laws in every state.
    Here's a start: Tribal* Codes or Statutes
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

    I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

  10. #24
    Ex Member Array scott_g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    Yeah, you go have fun wading through all that unorganized information. Didn't see anything relating to firearms laws specifically, either, on a cursory scan.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; September 19th, 2012 at 09:49 PM.

  11. #25
    VIP Member Array multistage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NW Iowa
    Posts
    2,385
    I have many friends from my time in Montana who are Indian. Good men. Their land, their rules. Don't like it? Don't go.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; September 19th, 2012 at 09:50 PM.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

  12. #26
    Member Array ken45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    Their land, their rules. Don't like it? Don't go.
    So we give up the use of the Interstate Highway system? That kind of makes a mess of the United States.

    Ken

  13. #27
    Ex Member Array scott_g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by ken45 View Post
    So we give up the use of the Interstate Highway system? That kind of makes a mess of the United States.

    Ken
    Exactly. Apparently, someone doesn't get that sometimes it's unavoidable.

  14. #28
    VIP Member Array multistage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NW Iowa
    Posts
    2,385
    You are most likely OK on the interstate. I'm talking about when you get out of your car. Like it or not, they make the rules on their land.

    Most of those friends were with me when some old hippies had a public celebration for the old days when they protested the Vietnam war. We protested the protesters. All of us had fathers that served over there. The hippies cut the celebration short.

    As I said, good men. My apologies if my initial bark was irrelevant to the thread.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; September 19th, 2012 at 09:51 PM.

  15. #29
    VIP Member Array Richard58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Charlotte area of North Carolina
    Posts
    2,059
    Native Americans are the original holders of this USA, however the land probably changed hands plenty of times during wars between Indian tribes before white man or the Spanish were here. How long the USA will be here is any bodies guess. Things change through the ages and nothings new under the sun.

    Saying all this, there is a lot to be said abt living by the golden rule....
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

  16. #30
    Ex Member Array scott_g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    Native Americans are the original holders of this USA, however the land probably changed hands plenty of times during wars between Indian tribes before white man or the Spanish were here. How long the USA will be here is any bodies guess. Things change through the ages and nothings new under the sun.

    Saying all this, there is a lot to be said abt living by the golden rule....
    Nope. FAIL. The very first humans to enter and settle North America were NOT "Native Americans" because they weren't even from here. Go review your anthropology...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

az concealed carry indian reservation
,
can i carry a gun on an indian reservation
,

can you carry a gun on an indian reservation

,
can you have firearm in vehicle at reservation
,

carrying firearms on indian reservations

,
concealed carry arizona indian reservations
,

concealed carry indian reservations

,

concealed carry on indian reservations

,
concealed carry on navajo reservation
,

firearms on indian reservations

,
gun laws in indian reservations
,
guns on indian reservations
Click on a term to search for related topics.