Some Just Will Never Have The Mindset

This is a discussion on Some Just Will Never Have The Mindset within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Excerpt From Newspaper Article. And by the end of the class, the man who was mugged decided carrying a firearm was not the right decision ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Just Will Never Have The Mindset

Administrator

Excerpt From Newspaper Article.

And by the end of the class, the man who was mugged decided carrying a firearm was not the right decision for him.

Willie, who wanted to keep his last name anonymous because of fear from the muggers who stole his driver's license, said he came into the class looking for a way to protect himself in the future.

After hours of instructors talking about the responsibility that goes with carrying a pistol, Willie was convinced he was not ready for a situation where he'd have to make the decision to use deadly force.

And since the jury ultimately decides whether deadly force was appropriate in each instance, Willie said he could not take that gamble.

"It's just not worth it," said Willie.
    "I don't know if I'll be able to make the right judgment."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Comments? Feel Free To Jump Right In.

I applaud him. At least he has the sense to realize now that it's not the right decision for him. Much better that than to foolishly tuck a gun in his pocket and only at the moment of truth realize that he isn't prepared to take a life.

Lead Moderator
    Last thing we need is untrained , unprepared people carrying guns they will not use if need be.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
    I applaud him. At least he has the sense to realize now that it's not the right decision for him. Much better that than to foolishly tuck a gun in his pocket and only at the moment of truth realize that he isn't prepared to take a life.
    Good comment, I agree.

Although I have no evidence to go on, it would not surprise me in the least if the article turned out to be a total fabrication. It sounds a lot like some sort of Brady Bunch fantasy.

But, people being how they are, it could be on the "up & up."

And since the jury ultimately decides whether deadly force was appropriate in each instance, Willie said he could not take that gamble.

"It's just not worth it," said Willie.
    "I don't know if I'll be able to make the right judgment."
    If Brother Willie really feels his own life is "just not worth it," I'd have to say that he is probably RIGHT.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Lead Moderator
    Just hope that some Jury isn't making a decision about the person that caused his death someday, especially if it was preventable by CC and training.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator
    I hold no animosity for the guy because he decided not to carry.
    It's his bacon that will get smoked and not mine.
    As illogical as his thinking seems to me - I also don't want anybody carrying out in public (anywhere near me) who feels that they lack the necessary judgment and is not willing make the commitment to carry 100% responsibly.
    It's sad to me that this person has relegated himself to Victim Status and feels that his "person" is not worthy of learning how to protect.
    But, I hope that Lady Luck gives him a free life pass.

Quote Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
    Ditto. I had a next-door neighbor that admitted he was too hot headed to have a gun around... He was an idiot in other ways, but I respected his intelligent choice in this matter. He knew that having a firearm in the house with him and his brother(they would get in fistfights with each other quite often, but would always make up) would be very UNWISE for *him*/his personality/situation.

Unfortunately, their are far too many idiots in the halls of power are far more 'educated' but not half as smart as this guy was about the issue. They know *they* can't be trusted to handle guns safely...

..so us peons shouldn't have firearms either...
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Assistant Administrator
    He obviously (it seems) has the wisdom to know it ain't for him but - it'll be a sad day if he is again attacked and then killed, because of being defenceless.

Just hope he ups his awareness a good few notches and so avoids trouble best he can.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Well, it's his choice and I applaud that. At least he's not like mentioned above those who will try to force that choice upon others.

I guess some people are born to be victims. It's said that criminals can some how "see" who are born victims and those people, when interviewed, have been victimized more than once.

Wayne

VIP Member
    It's rare, but it happens.

I've trained a few hundred people for CCW and every now and again someone would tell me that they weren't cut out to carry a gun and that they were very glad that they took my class and figured that out before they got a permit and started carrying. I was always glad that they figured it out as well versus potentially arming another BG because they weren't willing to do what had to be done.

I cannot grasp not wanting to defend yourself, but some people are like that. Most won't go take a class, so you don't hear about them much. I had a guy just last week tell me he didn't believe in guns. I was like, well they are out there whether you believe in them or not. He said no one but...blah blah blah I forget what else he said,but we've all heard it before.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by madmike View Post
    Although I have no evidence to go on, it would not surprise me in the least if the article turned out to be a total fabrication. It sounds a lot like some sort of Brady Bunch fantasy.

But, people being how they are, it could be on the "up & up."

If Brother Willie really feels his own life is "just not worth it," I'd have to say that he is probably RIGHT.

mm
    I'm not sure that is what Brother Willie said...

I would not want this person flying with me as copilot!
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

All kinds of people -- everybody can (hopefully) make decisions, whether good or bad for them. If this guy doesn't want to have to decide whether to defend himself with a firearm, fine by me. And, a good choice for him since he at least realizes it.

LTPhoon,

As to what he said, I can only go by the quote provided in the article in post #1. And that's how I read it.

In any event, it's a sad thing to read.

Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links