Defensive Carry banner

Research Help on CC Saving Lives

2K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  kerberos 
#1 ·
Recently all the Malco Theaters around me posted signs against concealed carry. I was pretty upset about this in general not just because of Malco but because there are so many places that don't allow it and in Arkansas you can be prosecuted if you ignore the sign. I'm trying to find real life stories or links where CC holders have used thier weapons to save lives or prevent a bad situation. I'm not looking for one on one or household stories but stories in public places like malls, resturants, etc. that I can use as backup or justification for CC holders to be able to carry their weapons more places. Seems like I remembered a story where a guy went into a mall with a rifle and then intent to harm people and a cc carrier saw him first and prevented a massacre. That's the kind of story that I would like to know about or if you have a link, would like that as well. It kills me that someplace like Malco would start posting these signs because of the incident in Colorado when that theater was posted and no sign or policy would have prevented the shootings but a responsible cc individual could have prevented so many from dying. I don't know how much good it will do but I'm going on a letter writing or education campaign to try and support my points.

Edit: Sorry meant to put this in the Concealed Carry section but clicked on the wrong thing and don't know how to move it.

#16 ·
I printed this out to read. It has a lot of interesting facts. However, reading through some of the quotes in the back of present and past leaders talking about prohibiting any gun ownership and confiscating and imprisoning or worse guns owners it really sent chills down my spine that we actually have politicians and individuals like this and that it is always a possibility.

#3 ·
Check Backwoods Magazine (online), for numerous articles written by Massad Ayoob. He's also got a book entitled The Ayoob Files, about situations people found themselves in.

John Lott's books might help you, if conducting research on justification. I'd suggest starting with More Guns, Less Crime.

#6 ·
Are they posted correctly?

Must state "carrying a handgun is prohibited" exactly and be at the entrance.

I'll check and see if the NE Ark Malco's are now posted as well.

It'll be better to fight this from both sides of the state.

There are a few other well-known members here from Ark. as well who would probably enlist.

#7 ·
If pilots had been allowed to CC on 9/11, thousands of lives could have been saved. Just a thought.

Google: Jeanne Assam, Tacoma Mall, Trolley Square Mall, Tyler Texas Courthouse shooting, Appalachian School of Law shooting, Pearl Mississippi school shooting.

#8 ·
Yup.

The surest way for BG's to have greatest likelihood of succeeding is to surround them with indifferent victims who have little likelihood of being able to do anything to stop them. And the surest way for BG's to fail is to surround them with determined citizens who have every ability to stop them cold.

Old school, baby. Old school.

#9 ·
Properly posted in Jonesboro...

Signs on every door.

They even go above and beyond and list the state statute number.

I took a few pix and I'll try to get them posted.

#10 ·
Appalachian School of Law
In seconds Odighizuwa had killed the school dean, a professor and one student. Three other students were shot as well, one in the chest, one in the stomach and one in the throat.

Many students heard the shots. Two who did were Mikael Gross and Tracy Bridges. Mikael was outside the school having just returned to campus from lunch when he heard the shots. Tracy was inside attending class. Both immediately ran to their cars. Each had a handgun locked in the vehicle.James Eaves-Johnson wrote about this fact one week later in The Daily Iowan. He wrote: “A Lexus-Nexis search revealed 88 stories on the topic, of which only two mentioned that either Bridges or Gross was armed.” This 2002 article noted “This was a very public shooting with a lot of media coverage.” But the media left out information showing how two students with firearms ended the killing spree.

Pearl High School
Luke Woodham was a troubled teen. He felt no one really liked him. In 1997 he murdered his mother and put on a trench coat. He filled the pockets with ammunition and took a handgun to the Pearl High School in Pearl, Mississippi. In rapid succession killed two students and wounded seven others.

What Woodham hadn’t planned for was the actions of Assistant Principal Joel Myrick. Myrick heard the gun shots. He couldn’t have a handgun in the school. But he did keep one locked in his vehicle in the parking lot. He ran outside and retrieved the gun.

As Myrick headed back toward the school Woodham was in his vehicle headed for his next intended target. Myrick aimed his gun at the shooter. The teen crashed his car when he saw the gun. Myrick approached the car and held a gun to the killer who surrendered immediately. There would be no further victims that day, thanks to armed resistance.

Edinboro, PA
Many people probably forgot about the shooting in Edinboro, Pennsylvania. It was a school graduation dance that Andrew Wurst entered to take out his anger on the school. First he shot teacher John Gillette outside. He started shooting randomly inside the restaurant where the 240 students had gathered.

It was restaurant owner James Strand, armed with a shot gun, who captured the shooter and held him for police.

Trolley Square Shopping Mall, SLC
The mall was a self-declared “gun free zone” forbidding patrons from carrying weapons. He wasn’t worried. In fact he appreciated knowing that his victims couldn’t defend themselves.

He opened fire even before he got inside killing his first victims immediately outside the front door. As he walked down the mall hallway he fired in all directions. Several more people were shot inside a card store immediately inside the mall. The shooter moved on to the Pottery Barns Kids store.

What he didn’t know is that one patron of the mall, Kenneth Hammond, had ignored the signs informing patrons they must be unarmed to enter. He was a police officer but he was not on duty and he was not a police officer for Salt Lake City. By all standards he was a civilian that day and probably should have left his firearm in his vehicle.

It’s a good thing he didn’t. He was sitting in the mall with his wife having dinner when he heard the shots. He told her to hide and to call 911 emergency services. He went to confront the gunman. The killer found himself under gun fire much sooner than he anticipated. From this point on all his effort was to protect himself from Hammond, he had no time to kill anyone else. Hammond was able to pin down the shooter until police finally arrived and one of them shot the man to death.

Virginia Tech
The Virginia Tech massacre was a textbook example of the failure of government. The killer was a deranged individual. People who dealt with him were terrified of him. He was reported to campus police several times. Professors reported him, students reported him, and the government bureaucrats who run the school said there was nothing they could do. They were stifled by regulations and rules at every turn.

They couldn’t tell the parents of the killer, that would violate regulations on privacy. They basically couldn’t do very much. The killer was sent to a mental institution by a judge. But the school had to let him back on campus, regulations you know. Regulations did exist to forbid firearms on campus. That disarmed the victims not the killer. Lot of good that did.

Santana High School (CNN.com - Suspect had talked about shooting at school - March 5, 2001)
Student John Schardt said the freshman boy arrested in the shooting was smiling when he allegedly emerged from a restroom in the school's social sciences building with a gun. (see video)
"He was looking around, smiling, with his weapon. He fired two more shots and went back in," Schardt said. He said authorities with guns drawn arrested the suspect in the bathroom.
"He had an evil kind of sadistic demeanor to him," Schardt said.
Authorities said the alleged gunman reloaded his .22-caliber revolver at least once.
Robert Clark was a parent, he was at the school, with his wife, to register his daughter for attendance when the shooting happened. He was also an off-duty police officer who was carrying a weapon. Jim Fotis, of Law Enforcement Alliance of America says that Clark: “courageously acted to save lives by confronting the armed killer, ordering him to surrender and preventing him from killing or harming countless others.”

Not Sure
Shawn Clark was an off-duty police officer when he was went to deliver some milk to a day care center. He expects children but finds a knife-wielding felon inside the building. Sure it wasn’t a shooting but a criminal with a knife can still kill a lot of kids in a very short time. Clark and the man fought, Clark shot him twice, still the man fled the scene but was apprehended soon after.

Utah guns in schools
Like many states, Utah enacted a concealed-handgun licensing law in 1995. Unlike most states, Utah did not make schools an exclusion zone for lawful carrying. Not only a teacher on duty, but also a parent coming to pick up a child from school, can lawfully carry a concealed handgun in a Utah school building — after, of course, passing a background check and safety training. (See Utah Code sect. 76-10-505.5. In 2003, the legislature expanded the law, by allowing principals to authorize firearms possession by individuals who did not have a concealed-handgun carry permit.)
After eleven years of experience in Utah, we now have exactly zero reported problems of concealed handgun licensees misusing guns at school, or students stealing guns from teachers, or teachers using their licensed firearms to shoot or threaten students. During this same period, we also have had exactly zero mass murders in Utah schools.

#12 ·
:SNIP: I'm not looking for one on one or household stories but stories in public places like malls, resturants, etc. that I can use as backup or justification for CC holders to be able to carry their weapons more places. :SNIP:
This approach may work on individuals who are not aware of the lives that have been saved or the crimes that have been prevented by armed citizens. If you are looking to influence the opinions of business owners you might be using the wrong logic. Most business owners are looking at their costs and not your safety. If ensuring your safety by allowing you to carry weapons might cost them more in lawsuits, insurance costs or lost business due to customers that do not feel comfortable around firearms then safety will be placed on the back burner every time.

Michael

#17 ·
This is a good point. However, what I would like to do is influence the laws and lawmakers so that the signs places try to post are worthless or non enforceable like they are in some states and so if I qualify for and obtain my license I am able to carry anywhere I go so as to be able to defend myself and family at all times. Ideally, I should be able to do this without a license unless I have done something criminal to justify taking that right away.

#13 ·
#19 ·
Got an email response from Malco...

><><><><><><><><><

Thank you for taking the time to comment about our no gun policy. After numerous discussions with the federal department of homeland security as well as law enforcement agencies, it was suggested by all that we post a no gun policy.

All other major theatre chains in the country have adopted a similar policy.

As always, we review our operating policies from time to time and make adjustments as needed.

Thanks again for your comments.

Sincerely,

Alan Denton

Vice President

Corporate Communications
><><><><><><><><><><

So if I'm reading this correctly; they posted because it was suggested by DHS?

That's disturbing.

Unfortunately, I don't have a direct email to respond to...

I think I may try to comment again on the Malco website and mention the Fox story about how the "gunbuster" sign
may have played a role in the Aurora shooters choice of target.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.