Flying Frontier from Grand Rapids MI to Phoenix with checked gun

This is a discussion on Flying Frontier from Grand Rapids MI to Phoenix with checked gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, I just got back visiting family in Phoenix. I brought my P229 and a box of Ranger T's in my suitcase and would ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JoeK

Thread: Flying Frontier from Grand Rapids MI to Phoenix with checked gun

Hi all,

I just got back visiting family in Phoenix. I brought my P229 and a box of Ranger T's in my suitcase and would like to give my 1st time observations.

1. Make sure you read up and understand how to fly with your checked gun and have a printed copy of the TSA and the airline's weapon rules in case you need to tell them. I also wrote "To open this case call me at __________" and I taped that to the outside of the gun case. When I first checked in at Grand Rapids I told the Frontier ticket agent I needed to declare a weapon in my suitcase and I needed an orange tag. She didn't speak or understood english very well so she told me I didn't need it and to just tell the TSA agents. I then told her I had a gun in my suitcase and I needed to get the orange tag. She finally understood the word "gun" so I got the tag.

2. I thought the TSA agent would automatically inspect the gun so I left the outside of the suitcase unlocked (my gun was still in the locked hard-sided case inside). I told the agent I had a firearm and he just sent it on it's way to be X-ray'd and by that time it was too late to get my unlocked suitcase back. Next time I'll lock the outside of my suitcase when I leave my house.

3. In Phoenix at the Sky Harbor Airport the TSA agent got a small rag and swiped the outside of the suitcase, the inside, and the gun safe and then she put the rag in a machine to analyze it for explosives. She didn't even look inside the gun safe itself. One thing she did was to put a 1" round orange sticker saying "TSA" and stuck it on the airlines tag on the outside on my suitcase handle.

That's about all of the high points from my first time flying with the gun.

I just flew back from Alaska and was surprised at how lax they were. Out of Alaska did not surprise me as everyone usually has a gun. No one checked to see if my firearms were unloaded, just filled out the form, put it in the cased and locked it. All the way back to Virginia, no problems. I was surprised to see my gun case come out on the carousel with my other bag and being able to just pick it up and walk out. I used to have to pick it up at the baggage office after showing my baggage claim reciept with ID. Not really complaining, but I was concerned how easy it was for anyone to pick up my gun case off the carousel and walk out with it.
    Is this the new norm? or was this an exception?
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

I'm glad you weren't hassled at any point in the process, but it is a little disconcerting that the firearm "flew by" the process without any real checks at all.

Why is that disconcerting? That's the way it's supposed to work!
    Mark IL NM likes this.

Links