Defensive Carry banner

Cool conversation with a Pharmacist

4K views 28 replies 24 participants last post by  SmokinFool 
#1 ·
So I drop off a prescription at a local pharmacy and the guy was really cool. Said it would be 15 minutes so I said I'd wait. I grab the latest edition of Guns and Ammo and sit in a chair and do some leisurely reading. In less than 15 minutes he calls my name so I go up to the counter and lay the magazine down as I'm signing and getting my wallet out. He says, "So, you protecting your second amendment rights?" Well, not knowing from the context of the statement where this may go I replied, "Just reading." He replied, "Better get what you need while you still can." I replied, "I'm well covered, and for me it is like American Express." He nods and says, "Stay safe my friend."

Cool interaction.

#2 ·
Good. Not everyone is out to get us.

#3 ·
^^yep^^^^^^^^^^^^

Lot more like minded people around if we just sometimes take the time to listen and get a pulse.

Reactions: ccw9mm
#4 ·
I know many Pharmacists that are "well heeled". They are like Jewelers, their stock is very attractive to the criminal element.

#8 ·
Four of my range buddies here are Physicians...can't hurt to have a Pharmacist in the mix!!! Another of them is a car guy. Now all I need is a lawyer and a landscaper and I'm covered!

Reactions: niks
#12 ·
My wife is a pharmacist and she carries a Kahr. :danceban:

#13 ·
My uncle is a retired pharmacist. He started carrying back in the mid 60's and still does. In fact he still has the Charter Arms .38 gun he started carrying.

Reactions: BugDude
#14 · (Edited)
I Open Carried into a pharmacy (large chain type) the day after a druggie armed with a knife tried to get narcotics; I was a little apprehensive when I walked up to the counter. The pharmacist looks at my holstered 5" 1911 style pistol carried cocked & locked paused a second then says "Where the hell were you yesterday"?

I just smiled and said "It was his lucky day".

He said "If the company would let me I'd have one on my belt and one under the counter".

Reactions: BugDude and Yetiman
#16 ·
My FFL holder is a Air Force Chaplin. Really nice guy.

#17 ·
Interesting topic. In a "past life" I was a pharmacist, worked my way thru med school doing pharmacy on weekends ( as well as help from the navy). At closing one Sunday, a guy was acting really strange. I asked him to leave. He came back next morning with a gun , stole quite a few drugs and pistol whipped the pharmacist. A few years later, as MD I got called to the ER late one night. Met 8-10 fine young gentlemen near the door. Wanted to know ... Hey man, you a docta? Said my wife was having a baby and really needed to go, and they let me. Took my NRA course a week later, then ccw. Never looked back

#19 ·
The medical profession is just like any other. It is not as anti gun as some news stories might lead one to believe. My doc is a Beretta guy. My son's is a Springfield Armory fan. Down here in Texas they are much more open about it than they were back in Maryland.

#20 ·
This Rph just picked up a LC9 yesterday with the intent to CCW. If I think like a criminal, the pharmacy I work at is a prime target hence my concern. I feel its not a matter of if but when. They can have the drugs but if things go sideways I hope I can defend myself and staff.

I just found out this morning the my wife's manager carries and even wears his CCW permit on a tether around his neck under his shirt. She is in medical sales.

#22 ·
I have been a pharmacist for about 10 years now. I have been robbed 6 times during that period. My current employer like most employers does not allow firearms at work. So there are a lot of pharmacist like me who secretly carry at work. knowing if anybody found out we'd loose our jobs on the spot. when i got my cwp i went with a few other people at work. so i know at least 3 of us maybe armed at any given time.

#23 ·
What a shame that your employer trusts you with the heavily controlled inventory, but can't trust you to defend yourself in the event something goes sideways.
I can't say much though. As an electrical engineer whose daily driver is a desk, I am also not allowed to carry at work. If my mouse ever goes rampant, I am screwed.

#24 ·
I was a partner in a company that installed and maintained telephone systems, our techs traveled the whole state, often out late, in city industrial areas etc. I encouraged them to get CCWs and carry, our lawyer advised against it because the injury or death of an employee would be covered by workman's comp and our liability would be minimal; if they shot someone, even if justified, we could be exposed to million dollar plus liabilities (pre stand your ground days). In short a dead employee is cheaper than a wounded criminal.

#27 ·
LOL. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I have a very close family member who is a Doctor of Optometry. Recently took a CCW class and is applying for his permit. He has a nice collection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.