What do you say when you think someone spots you? Or worse, asks?

This is a discussion on What do you say when you think someone spots you? Or worse, asks? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wear a tuckable holster, and I carry at work. Normally I don't use it tucked but yesterday I had to. Whenever I've worn it ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: What do you say when you think someone spots you? Or worse, asks?

I wear a tuckable holster, and I carry at work. Normally I don't use it tucked but yesterday I had to. Whenever I've worn it before in the tucked fashion it has never been a problem but yesterday I caught a customer eyeing it. My question is, has anybody ever had someone (that doesn't need to know) ask what the clips are for? If so, what should you/I say? I am relatively new to carrying at all (since May of this year).

Disclaimer: This post is not meant to start a debate on how well tuckable holsters work or what you think I should use instead. Although helpful information regarding said topic is appreciated.

Carry gun: Diamondback DB9
    Holster: Parker holsters IWB

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm not aware that anyone has ever noticed, at least they haven't said anything. If they did ask if I was carrying, I'd reply, "Aren't you?"
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

You can be nice and say something like " They help keep my pants up, they are called keepers" or you could be straight to the point and say "None of your business" either way works, you just have to decide how you want to play it out....
    Bad Bob likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

It's a medical device...

If they push let them know that it delivers specific doses of lead for those in need!

Heard that one from someone here...

I'd give credit but I can't remember who.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Decoration!

I feel it's rather brazen if a stranger questions me as to whether I am carrying or not, so I may be in the minority and respond in a "none of your business" way ( as respectfully as I can). Having said that, I haven't ever had anyone ask.
    pir8fan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tropicoz View Post
    I feel it's rather brazen if a stranger questions me as to whether I am carrying or not, so I may be in the minority and respond in a "none of your business" way ( as respectfully as I can). Having said that, I haven't ever had anyone ask.
    Not so much being brazen asking if you're carrying, just curiosity "What are those metal clips?"
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

I just tell em it's for my PDA. Personal Defense Asset. LOL!!!!!
    "If you only knew the power of the dark side!" - Darth Vader

Quote Originally Posted by iguanadon View Post
    Not so much being brazen asking if you're carrying, just curiosity "What are those metal clips?"
    If its a fine lady, I'll be honest...since she's focused pretty close to my caboose!

VIP Member
    In my 17 years carrying, I've never been asked when I was concealing. Since I usually OC now, I have had a few people ask about it, the majority just being curious. My answer would depend on their demeanor. If they are just being curious, I'd probably answer their question truthfully. If they were being confrontational, I'd tell them "None of your **** business!"
    ericb327 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

if someone noticed mine they would be looking at my crotch, so my answer would be, "well, a better question would be why are you staring at my crotch?"
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tropicoz View Post
    Thank you tropicoz. It is none of a stranger's damn business--period/end of story. I would not even waste time responding.
    pir8fan likes this.

My friend and I were at coffee this morning talking about carry guns. He just got a Govenor. A fellow nearby overheard us asked if I was carrying though he never saw my P-238 pocket carry. This is Air Races time here in Reno and we are loaded with friendly strangers. I said, "Yes, this is an open carry state and to carry concealed you have to get a permit." He said their group was from Chicago and it is almost impossible to get a permit. I said, "Yes, I know, and the murder count is up to 320 a couple days ago." He said it was a sad affair.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

I had a couple kids ask once. Seems like it is always kids doesn't it? They said, "is that a gun?" and I said yes it is. They said "what kind?" and I said a Beretta 92. They said cool I use that on (some video game I have forgotten the name of)
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

OD*
    Tell them it's your colostomy bag, they'll leave you alone right quick.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links