Defensive Carry banner

Minimum training needed before CCW?

3K views 29 replies 23 participants last post by  ccw9mm 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I would like to start CCW but I have no formal training on CCW tactics or handgun use. I have owned 1 semi auto .40 for home defense, which I sold to buy a tactical 12Ga instead. I have shot approx 100 total rounds through various hanguns in my 40 years. Not much experience in other words.

I will be purchasing a Ruger LCR 9mm soon with the intent to carry it at work to start. I work in a mom and pop pharmacy and I feel its just a matter of time before I have someone requesting medication without proper documentation and the threat of force to obtain it.

I have a very healthy respect for any firearm and I will be getting at least basic handgun training from a professional soon, however in the meantime should I go ahead and carry my new pistol? I would of course shoot the gun first to be familiar with its functions and traits.

Thanks

Eric

#3 ·
I will be purchasing a Ruger LCR 9mm soon with the intent to carry it at work to start. I work in a mom and pop pharmacy and I feel its just a matter of time before I have someone requesting medication without proper documentation and the threat of force to obtain it.
Nice wordplay :)

I would start with a 'basic safety' kind of course. Carrying a gun for quick presentation is a little different animal than your typical range trip, so a basic defensive pistol course might be good, but most ranges offer a free or cheap handgun safety and carry course. And if they don't 'offer' one, if you poke around asking, someone with some experience will usually volunteer to show you anyway.

Reactions: BenGoodLuck
#4 ·
That's pretty much an open-ended question. Some may feel not shooting your eye out is training enough, other may feel one should be SEAL qualified as a minimum.

My training came from the military, which doesn't necessisarily equate to CCW. I'd recommend searching for an NRA sponsored program in your locale. Then practice, practice, practice. If time and money are available, there are many "Self Defense" training programs throughout the country if one chooses to persue that aspect.

#5 ·
Most places that offer the CCW course also offer other basic and advanced firearms training courses. Talk to them and see if you could perhaps bundle some offerings with the end course being your carry permit class. IMO, it's a very good idea to take additional traing since the minimum requirement to get a CCW is almost laughable. A few of the people in my FL class had no business behind a barrel.

#10 ·
It is your right to carry a gun with out any training, but as a responsible person I think you should seek out some training. A basic class, then a more advanced class should get you started. You should never stop learning as it pertains to guns, how to work them, and when you should use them. Again, you do not have to do anything, but it is recommended that you do. IMO....

#11 ·
You don't say what part of AZ your in. If anywhere near one of the larger cities, contact the gun ranges and ask who/where NRA basic handgun courses are taught. As a minimum I'd recommend the basic and advanced course. Then go from there.

#12 ·
If I am not mistaken, you do not need a permit to carry in AZ, so there is no minimum requirement of training before you can carry. However, I think it is a good idea to get some training. I agree with archer51, at least get basic and advanced pistol training, then maybe do something like a 0-5 ft gunfighting class if you feel so inclined.

#14 ·
Well, here a man went in to a pharmacy... pointed a gun at the clerk and demanded certain meds (narcotics). The Pharmacist seeing this grabbed the shotgun and shot the robber. End of story.... 1 dead robber.... who's family told what a "nice young man he was".

So, if you are good with a shotgun, keep it.

If you want a handgun because you want to CC ..... go get training, and do a lot of shooting, familarization with the gun, etc. If you can't use it decently, it won't do you any good. If you don't use it safely... you are dangerous. The more you handle it and shoot it , the better off you are. Then..... after some instruction, shooting, etc.... you'll know where to go from there.

If you cannot shoot reliably ... you may be a danger to everyone around you or your customers. It's not a matter of throwing bullets out there everywhere.... you need some degree of confidence you can put them on target well. Even then, under stress you most likely will not be as good as you think you can be.

#15 ·
Well, it's like this:

Basic training is essential. That is to include handling and manipulation. Once you can handle a gun safely and shoot with a reasonable degree of accuracy, the fun starts. You will soon be unsatisfied with your skill level. So you will practice, and you will improve.

And you will remain unsatisfied with your skill level.

You will always want to be better than you are. That's the beauty of firearms. So you will seek advanced training, and improve.

But not quite to where you want to be.

And then one day at the range, when you have long forgotten your skill level at the beginning, you will pack your stuff in frustration, load your gun with carry ammo, and just before you grab your bag and leave, somebody checking his target downrange will walk back and tell you he looked at your target, and "that was pretty good shooting. Where did you learn how to do that?"

And that, my friend, is what training is all about. Welcome to the forum, and get yourself trained up.

#16 ·
I'd recommend a basic safety course and also a course on carrying concealed. Learn your's state's laws and practice a lot with the gun you will carry. At the range with live fire and at home with dry-fire. Always make sure when dry-firing to triple-check your weapon to make sure it's not loaded and keep the ammo in another room when practicing.

#18 ·
Your right to defend yourself doesn't have a "minimum training" threshold. FIRST, get your CCW and THEN attend as many training courses from as many well-respected training facilities as your wallet & schedule can afford. You don't have to shoot like an Air Marshal or have the tactics of a Delta spec-ops type to be a responsible concealed carrier. But a schedule full of Gunsite, Thunder Ranch & Lethal Force Institute will make you a very SKILLED concealed carrier.

#22 ·
To answer your question directly. I absolutely would carry it now. Here are my reasons why.

The actual chances of you needing to defend yourself with it in say....the next 6 months are statistically probably extremely low.

In addition to needing "hands on" firearm training you're also going to need to discover what "mode of carry" will work out best for you so now is a great time just to start working on that.

Just commit the basic firearm handling safety rules to memory and always abide by those.

If you will do that then you'll be at least perfectly safe to carry your handgun. Shop around for a high quality holster.

Once your handgun is on your person and you are carrying it. Do not fidget with it. Do not play with it...and do not show it to anybody. Put it on and leave it alone.

When you need to put it on and when you need to take it off - STOP - Think - remember your basic safe firearm handling rules - proceed.

In the meantime you can practice your draw and presentation at home. Unload the firearm. Check the firearm to make certain that it's clear. Put your ammunition in another room & practice.

The handgun is basically a simple mechanical device. Yes, it is certainly capable of killing. That is what it was invented to do.

Never forget that.

On the flip side of the coin it's not a commercial jet airliner where the pilot and co-pilot just got food poisoning and you're forced to "man the controls" & land the plane with absolutely no flight experience.

It's a fairly simple and uncomplicated device.

On the extremely rare possibility that you might need a firearm SOON...you're going to feel mighty doggone helpless and stupid if you actually OWN a handgun and it's sitting at home locked up because some class or course of instruction didn't start yet.

Couple that with the fact that you probably already have at least as much handgun experience as the druggie that might decide to rob and kill you.

Also keep in mind that complete docile compliance with the demands of a desperate druggie is no guarantee that you'll walk away unharmed and unscathed.

I would also watch a few a few YouTube clips. There are some decent free Video snippets that cover handgun & self-defensive basics & won't conflict with any future training that you'll decide to get later on.

Search YouTube for Kelly McCann or Inside The Crucible. Practice SAFELY at home for now and shop around for some qualified instruction.

The above is just what I would do but, you are hopefully a responsible adult and you'll make your own responsible adult decisions.

#24 ·
To answer your question directly. I absolutely would carry it now. Here are my reasons why.

The actual chances of you needing to defend yourself with it in say....the next 6 months are statistically probably extremely low.

In addition to needing "hands on" firearm training you're also going to need to discover what "mode of carry" will work out best for you so now is a great time just to start working on that.

Just commit the basic firearm handling safety rules to memory and always abide by those.

If you will do that then you'll be at least perfectly safe to carry your handgun. Shop around for a high quality holster.

Once your handgun is on your person and you are carrying it. Do not fidget with it. Do not play with it...and do not show it to anybody. Put it on and leave it alone.

When you need to put it on and when you need to take it off - STOP - Think - remember your basic safe firearm handling rules - proceed.

In the meantime you can practice your draw and presentation at home. Unload the firearm. Check the firearm to make certain that it's clear. Put your ammunition in another room & practice.

The handgun is basically a simple mechanical device. Yes, it is certainly capable of killing. That is what it was invented to do.

Never forget that.

On the flip side of the coin it's not a commercial jet airliner where the pilot and co-pilot just got food poisoning and you're forced to "man the controls" & land the plane with absolutely no flight experience.

It's a fairly simple and uncomplicated device.

On the extremely rare possibility that you might need a firearm SOON...you're going to feel mighty doggone helpless and stupid if you actually OWN a handgun and it's sitting at home locked up because some class or course of instruction didn't start yet.

Couple that with the fact that you probably already have at least as much handgun experience as the druggie that might decide to rob and kill you.

Also keep in mind that complete docile compliance with the demands of a desperate druggie is no guarantee that you'll walk away unharmed and unscathed.

I would also watch a few a few YouTube clips. There are some decent free Video snippets that cover handgun & self-defensive basics & won't conflict with any future training that you'll decide to get later on.

Search YouTube for Kelly McCann or Inside The Crucible. Practice SAFELY at home for now and shop around for some qualified instruction.

The above is just what I would do but, you are hopefully a responsible adult and you'll make your own responsible adult decisions.
As is typical with a QKShooter post, it's too full of good content to snip, so I bolded my favorite parts. OP, you're living in a state that doesn't require a permit or training to carry. I would, of course, still recommend doing both. In AZ, the places you can carry expand when you have a permit. And, training will make you more confident, which is more valuable than any tactics you will learn at the class.

As valuable as training is, don't discount the fact that most of the best shooters in the world were self-taught. Read lots of books, get to the range, practice by focusing on the basics that you'll read in the books. Schedule professional training as soon as you can afford the time and money, but don't let that stop you from carrying now.

#23 ·
I would like to start CCW but I have no formal training on CCW tactics or handgun use.

I have shot approx 100 total rounds through various hanguns in my 40 years. Not much experience in other words.

I have a very healthy respect for any firearm and I will be getting at least basic handgun training from a professional soon, however in the meantime should I go ahead and carry my new pistol?
I think you know the answer.

100rds isn't much. It certainly gives you no clue over situations, statutes related to lawful use of force, or any practical "street" tactics. Of course, any dolt can appreciate the basics for staying away from risky situations. But when armed with a deadly weapon for which many people in your state would vilify you, you've got some responsibility for ensuring you're as well-trained and knowledgeable as you can be.

First step: Be comfortable with the myriad of questions that arise when you choose to undertake being armed with a deadly weapon.

My recommendation: If you are comfortable with operating your firearm and effectively striking your target reliably well, then by all means begin carrying where you know for certain you're legal to do so. First, be certain you're capable of avoiding striking that proverbial 3yr old child across the street, if you are forced to defend yourself. But, by all means seek some competent guidance in both areas of the lawful use of force, all of the statutory "landmines" you can step in, and wise street tactics than can help keep you out of the crosshairs of those who would do you/yours harm.

#26 ·
I am in AZ and here is my opinion.
If you are in the PHX area, there are several gun ranges that offer training (Caswells, Scottsdale Gun Club), you shouldn't have any issues finding some. I would take at least a basic course to start, and most of them offer additional courses.

I would hold off on getting your CCW, and spend the time and money on training and range time. Unless you are going to bars, you can carry just about anywhere you can with the permit in AZ. Your CCW class isn't going to give you any hands on training. It goes over mostly legal aspects of carrying. While valuable, it wouldn't be my first priority.

Check into some local steel matches - Phoenix Rod and gun club, or Rio Salado. There are pretty informal, and give you some good practice in presenting from holster and firing multiple rounds, and reloads.

#27 ·
While range time may or may not be required for a carry permit I believe that each pearson who does carry should be able to demonstrate a certain level of proficiency. We all as responsible gun owners want to be able to control our shots should the need arise to fire those shots. We do not want to fire haphazardly at whatever and hope we hit the intended target. There have been many law suits involving people who did just that. Of course there have been other suits involving highly trained gun owners as well. The more training you have the better your chances are on the street and in the courtroom. My wife wants her permit but says she will only apply after she gets range time in addition to the currently approved course which does not offer range time.

#28 ·
Great advice from everyone and food for thought. I do intend to get CCW training.

My initial thought would be to carry the gun unloaded for a few days just to get used to it being there and the responsibilty that comes with it. Treat it likes its loaded without the risk until I gain more experience with handling and shooting before carrying it loaded. Am I overthinking this?

#29 ·
I am now an adamant "carry chambered" guy, but for the first couple weeks, I carried loaded but unchambered for this very reason. Don't do anything until you're comfortable with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.