OH-KY Reciprocity and licensing

This is a discussion on OH-KY Reciprocity and licensing within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have (what may be) an interesting catch-22... I hold a CCW in Ohio. I took a job in KY and was not certain I ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mrjam2jab
  • 1 Post By ericb327

Thread: OH-KY Reciprocity and licensing

OH-KY Reciprocity and licensing

I have (what may be) an interesting catch-22...
    I hold a CCW in Ohio. I took a job in KY and was not certain I would remain a permanent resident, so until recently I had an OH Driver's License as well.

Recently I made the decision to permanently reside in KY, so I now carry a KY driver's license. I intend to apply for the KY CCDW as soon as possible, but realistically, that will likely take 60+ days. I'm wondering if anyone has experience or opinions on carrying concealed with my OH permit until the KY permit is issued. Will that cause problems if I am stopped? Should I have gone through the CCDW process before changing my driver's license?

Here's one more wrinkle-I have a Non-resident permit in NH. My understanding is that KY will honor my NH permit. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
    Matt

2. Remove Ads

Honestly not going to be much of a problem. If you have contact with a cop, don't tell them, you don't have to do so. And if heavon forbid you must use your weapon, you won't be worried about where you CCl is from. Just get a KY one directly.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

god forbids you having to kill someone in Kentucky district attorney justify self defense pretty easy. some other states just can't wait to make an example out of you.

Checking the statutes ...

See Kentucky Revised Statutes 237, specifically KRS 237.110.

If recently moved to KY, consider the 6mos residency requirement of KRS 237.110(4)(b)1.

If you've got another state's CHL and that CHL is going to remain good since you're now a KY resident, then be aware that KY recognizes any issuing state's current CHL, including non-resident CHL's (ie, an OH resident that once got a UT non-res CHL and still has that one). Am assuming your OH resident CHL is null-and-void once you've changed residency. KRS 237.110(20)(a). Uncertain what KY case law has to say on this point (of non-res licenses, when resident of KY).

Quote Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post
    Honestly not going to be much of a problem. If you have contact with a cop, don't tell them, you don't have to do so. And if heavon forbid you must use your weapon, you won't be worried about where you CCl is from. Just get a KY one directly.
    Though, if carrying and one is asked to show the CHL, I believe that one is required to produce it. KRS 237.110(15).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Checking the statutes ...

See Kentucky Revised Statutes 237, specifically KRS 237.110.

If recently moved to KY, consider the 6mos residency requirement of KRS 237.110(4)(b)1.

If you've got another state's CHL and that CHL is going to remain good since you're now a KY resident, then be aware that KY recognizes any issuing state's current CHL, including non-resident CHL's (ie, an OH resident that once got a UT non-res CHL and still has that one). Am assuming your OH resident CHL is null-and-void once you've changed residency. KRS 237.110(20)(a). Uncertain what KY case law has to say on this point (of non-res licenses, when resident of KY).

Though, if carrying and one is asked to show the CHL, I believe that one is required to produce it. KRS 237.110(15).
    This is spot on! You could always open carry!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

I'm in Bellevue, what town are you in?
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

Ohio does not issue non-res CHL's, so I would assume since you are no longer a resident, yours is now invalid. But, I am not a lawyer.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

TJx
    Your scenario is why I sent the paperwork in and paid $60 for AZ permit when I got my KY training in case I move yet again I have a fighting chance of having a valid permit while waiting for the nonsensical state residency requirements. This being said some states like Nevada require residents to have the state permit to carry.
    I don't know about KY but worst case in KY you can carry a loaded handgun without a permit in your vehicle as long as it's in a factory installed compartment, ie. glovebox, center console.

P.S I'm in Florence, PM me if you want a CCDW instructor name and the good and bad gun shops.

Captain Pointer of the Bellevue Police Department is a CCDW instructor and has a class coming up pretty soon.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Ohio does not issue non-res CHL's, so I would assume since you are no longer a resident, yours is now invalid. But, I am not a lawyer.
    He must notify of change of address...but a change of address is not grounds for revoking the CHL.
    ericb327 likes this.

Local LE told me your OH permit would be good in KY til it expired but I would call KY State police to be sure.
    antimatter likes this.

Ohio law says

The licensee shall give notice of any change in the licensee’s residence address to the sheriff who issued the license within forty-five days after that change.
    However, the law doesn't specify any penalty for failing to do so. The law is unclear as to what a sheriff should do when notified that a licensee has moved out of state. Some reportedly demand the license be returned to them and some do not.

Thanks for all the advice. I feel pretty good about the non-resident NH covering me while I'm in KY, but I get back across the river pretty frequently, so I'm wondering what my status in OH would be with a non-expired OH CCW and KY driver's license... I agree with the logic in getting an AZ permit as well and will probably look into that. Bottom line I guess is I need to get into a KY class and get the valid KY permit sooner rather than later.

Thanks,
    -m.

Links