Gun Buster signs going away... what is your story

This is a discussion on Gun Buster signs going away... what is your story within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since we got CC here in Wisconsin last November. There was a rush by business owners to post the Gun Buster sign. Seems to me ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Gun Buster signs going away... what is your story

VIP Member

Gun Buster signs going away... what is your story

Since we got CC here in Wisconsin last November. There was a rush by business owners to post the Gun Buster sign.
    Seems to me many stores have taken down the signs as of late.
    The local car dealers, some banks and title company have them but many retail stores I shop ( not the mall) do not have the signs anymore.

Our first shoot ( in WI since CCW) was at an Aldi store. At the time they were posting ( an illegal size sign ) Today I visit an Aldi store and there is no gun buster sign. In January many restaurants had posted. But today many of the signs are gone!

What are you seeing out there in your home town?

2. Remove Ads

Because "Gun Buster Signs" have no legal teeth in Kentucky (If made, you can ONLY be asked to disarm or leave the premises) I suspect business owners have decided that the signs are just preaching to the choir. Without legislated changes or at least legal precedent, most (responsible) concealed weapon carriers know where they can carry, so the GB sign is about as weighty as a popcorn fart.

In today's tightened economy, I suspect a business owner would quickly post or remove ANY sign to maintain or increase revenue. If there's even the slightest outside possibility that a GB sign is running ANY cash out of the daily receipts, I'm guessing it goes in the trash...regardless of the shop owner's personal opinion on R2C issues.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    In Ohio, signs do have the force of law. Having said that, the number of businesses posting them, at least around here, has gone way down since concealed handgun licensing became a reality in 2004. I suspect owners have realized that they are generally bad for business. In fact, many businesses which posted initially are no longer in business. In Marion, the only places I know of which are posted are the Arby's on Delaware Avenue, the Subway on Marion-Mount Gilead Road, the Shovel Lounge on West Center Street, and the local hospital. There are a few manufacturing concerns which prohibit carry by their employees and visitors.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Luckily the number HAS gone down. There are even some places where they once had parking lots posted but signs have since completely faded from the sun and nobody has bothered to replace them.

Other places simply never replaced their signs after remodeling etc.

This is a good thing... it means at the very least that people aren't super worried about legal carriers to the point where they keep puttin' up new signs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    In Ohio, signs do have the force of law. Having said that, the number of businesses posting them, at least around here, has gone way down since concealed handgun licensing became a reality in 2004. I suspect owners have realized that they are generally bad for business. In fact, many businesses which posted initially are no longer in business. In Marion, the only places I know of which are posted are the Arby's on Delaware Avenue, the Subway on Marion-Mount Gilead Road, the Shovel Lounge on West Center Street, and the local hospital. There are a few manufacturing concerns which prohibit carry by their employees and visitors.

I haven't noticed many near me - the hospital, many medical clinics and Toys R Us are really all I've seen. My bank cracks me up, they have a sign saying no hats or sunglasses, but not the gun buster sign. The signs don't carry weight here so I'm sure that factors in.

We don't put one up first because I would be a hypocrite. But second is you are in deeper legal do do if you have a sign up and someone goes postal if your other employees or patrons do not have the right to defend themselves due to my posted property.

In the beginning it seemed they were everywhere. When the blood didnt run in the streets and people calmed down, the signs pretty much disappeared.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

GH
    I'm in WI, too, MrBuckwheat, Milwaukee area to be exact, & I haven't notice any signs yet. The businesses I frequented lately are my bank, Pick & Save, Home depot, Menard's a couple of restaurant, an Ace Hardware store, a True Value hardware store, a gas station & a few others. A few days before I got my CCL I went with my buddy to a Time Warner store & there was a sign there. He was carrying his snubby .38 & continued to carry it in. He either didn't notice the sign or ignored it. I never asked him, lol.

I keep watching for a sign so I can decide to take my business elsewhere if possible.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Senior Moderator
    Buisness owners are seeing the facts...for the first time.

Many of them that posted the signs bought into the liberal dogma of "blood running in the streets" if anyone was allowed to carry a gun.

They have seen that it hasn't happened and they have seen that those that do carry a gun simply move on to a buisness that allows it.

When it hits them in the pocket book, and they see that their competition is kicking their tail because they dont have a gunbuster sign,all of a sudden the realization hits them that the sign is costing them money.
    For them....its all about the dollar. So they remove it.
    sensei2 likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Haven't seen many. But then, it's been a long time since I've lived in a place with gun-buster signs that held any force of law.

It feels like there are fewer of them around. And I'm hoping its because many of the "Chicken Little," doomsday prophecies about how things would go haywire with CC have proven to be entirely unfounded. Hopefully the message is getting through, albeit far too slowly.

The last time I was reminded of the no-guns stance was at a movie theatre about ~6yrs ago. They preferred no firearms. I preferred to leave and not give them my money. We were both content. The rest of the occasional signs I see end up being places I avoid.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    True story. Several years ago, a guy who I took the CHL class asked the manager of our local bank whether it was OK for him to carry a concealed handgun in the bank, since it wasn't posted.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

GH
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    True story. Several years ago, a guy who I took the CHL class asked the manager of our local bank whether it was OK for him to carry a concealed handgun in the bank, since it wasn't posted.
    DANG! That hurt. I slapped my forehead too hard!
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Right after the Aurora, CO theatre shooting, I emailed Regal Theatres management asking them to remove the gun buster signs. At the time, I thought that the signs carried weight of law in VA but someone on this forum set me straight on that. I never did get any reply from Regal. A few days later when I went to see a movie the sign was gone. Since they never replied, I don't know if they removed the sign because of my email. They still have a tiny pistol about an inch or two in size with red circle and slash on the theatre policies printed on 8.5x11 and posted at the ticket counter, however the gunbuster sign where you hand the attendant your ticket stub has been removed. I guess its a good thing that the signs don't carry force of law here since I was ignoring them anyway.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post

Since we got CC here in Wisconsin last November. There was a rush by business owners to post the Gun Buster sign.
    Seems to me many stores have taken down the signs as of late.
    The local car dealers, some banks and title company have them but many retail stores I shop ( not the mall) do not have the signs anymore.

Our first shoot ( in WI since CCW) was at an Aldi store. At the time they were posting ( an illegal size sign ) Today I visit an Aldi store and there is no gun buster sign. In January many restaurants had posted. But today many of the signs are gone!

What are you seeing out there in your home town?
    The same thing happened in MI when we switched to "Shall allow" CPLs. Eventually most took them down after there were none of the problems predicted by the antis.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

VIP Member
    Confirms what I was thinking, with no problems many of the owners taking the signs down. I can't believe with the way our law is written in WI. that you would place the sign in the first place.

I would like to give a shout out to all of you from WI who first of all got their permits and second wrote letters and had conversations with business owners to explain the benefits of not posting the GB sign!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links