Check your pistol loads

This is a discussion on Check your pistol loads within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Check your pistol loads Whew! For a minute there I was thinking there might be some sort of factory recall on ammo. I don't get ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Check your pistol loads

Check your pistol loads
    Whew! For a minute there I was thinking there might be some sort of factory recall on ammo.

I don't get that diverse with my ammo......either range or carry.

There are things we should all be more meticulous about and it is a good reminder. I still kick myself for leaving home without my cell phone one day recently. As you get older, you'll find more things to remind yourself about believe me. It happens.

2. Remove Ads

Springfield XD: Loaded with Gold Dot

Ruger LCR: loaded with .38 shotshells

Though I do confess, when camping, I alternate ball and HP, but I do it in my practice mags. A quick mag swap and I'm back to 12 rounds of GD. If I forget, it's not a big deal.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

IIRC, a police offer was killed when he forgot to replace his shotgun's training shells (birdshot) with the normal defensive load (buckshot). Fired on a suspect to minimal effect, and was shot and killed in return.

Good reminder.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

You Sir, are severely disadvantaged with 38 Spl Shot loads, or even your 158 Gr. HP's, with Water Mocs. Minimum load is 3" High Brass 12 GA No.7's, or RPG's. Nothing less.
    pgrass101 likes this.

Administrator
    I would have been seriously disadvantaged if I had to use it and the first 2 shots that I fired were just #9 shot and not a full .357gr. hollowpoint.

When you fire twice at the Bad Guy and all you hear is OUCH! OUCH! - that is the time to let loose with rounds 3 & 4.

Yep, a nice chunk of property that could support a nice pond would be a decided advantage. Have a quick quality test done on the water before you purchase the property though.
    Rock and Glock and pgrass101 like this.

That happened to me a couple of times in Virginia....I started carrying an additional snub 38 when "walking the bush" loaded with nothing but shot shells in addition to my SP101 loaded with Gold Dots. Two guns for two purposes.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    It always amazes me how people get so concerned about shooting a snake. In the time you can draw and fire, you could have easily stepped out of striking range, especially after returning to earth. Besides, the snake was there first and has no duty to retreat.
    We get bull snakes here that like to bother the dogs, and unless I can see the tail, I really can't tell the difference between them and the rattlers around here. If you're a snake near my house, well, you won't be long.

I've switched loads occasionally, but never forgot to reload my HP's.

Senior Moderator
    I will shoot a cottonmouth on sight, most other snakes I leave alone even copperheads unless they are in my yard.

Cottonmouths (mainly terroritial males) are the only aggressive snake that I know of in North America, they will not only stand their ground but will actually advance on you.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Lead Moderator
    Good reminder to be sure and check after a range session one has reloaded with defensive ammo rather than FMJ as well.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

We welcome most snakes but the poisonous ones get killed. I know there will always be more coming around, especially with a pond on the property - but between having 5 kids plus the distance we are from town (medical help) if they're seen, they're killed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links