Vehicle carry

Vehicle carry

This is a discussion on Vehicle carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So given that one can't carry everywhere they go. Depending on the errands of the day I may elect to have my gun in my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vehicle carry

Vehicle carry

So given that one can't carry everywhere they go. Depending on the errands of the day I may elect to have my gun in my vehicle "somewhere".

Here is the question, where is this somewhere recommended? Also is getting some kind of car holster worth it?

My wife's shield 9mm rides around in the center console of her jeep grand cherokee. Always there always ready.
    PROTECT THE FLOCK, CONFRONT THE WOLF.....

I have a small lockbox that connects by cable to the seat attachment on my vehicle. It is meant to slide under the seat but my new car does not have the room for that. Normally I just put mine in the glove box if I need to take it off.

EDIT: The box I have was purchased from here.
    http://www.center-of-mass.com/

Michael

I know there are safes available for cars maybe someone with good knowledge of them can respond
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

One option Nano Vault they offer may sizes and types. I use one on my Bike with the cable attached to the frame the detachable end is in vault so if I need to I can remover the vault with weapon in it. Use them in the cars also.

Great suggestions and so far I like the center console. Because of quick access, car break ins aren't particularly common here so I don't think I need a safe or lock box (forgot to mention that earlier). Thanks guys, keep it coming.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Ditto on Smitty's post. I recently bought the smaller, key-only box, my Combat Commander barely fits. Use it on my bike and in my truck. Also handy indoors when the grand-brat comes to visit, which is often. No way will i leave a weapon unattended in a vehicle without a device like this to slow thieves down. Basic responsible gun ownership (to me) requires that I prevent my weapons from falling into the wrong hands. They only have to be stolen once to be stolen, no second chances.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    Ditto on Smitty's post. I bough the smaller, key-only box. Used it on my bike and in my truck. Also handy indoors when the grand-brat comes to visit, which is often. No way will i leave a wepon unattended in a vehicle without a device like this to slow thieves down. Basic responsible gun ownership (to me) requires that I prevent my weapons from falling into the wrong hands. They only have to be stolen once to be stolen, no second chances.
    very good point to take into consideration. My only concern with this is how easy it would be for someone to cut the cable and or just remove a safe/lockbox altogether? is it as easy as I imagine?

Quote Originally Posted by 031131 View Post
    very good point to take into consideration. My only concern with this is how easy it would be for someone to cut the cable and or just remove a safe/lockbox altogether? is it as easy as I imagine?
    Not as easy as it was for them to throw a piece of spark plug ceramic through your door windows to get inside your car.

Michael

Distinguished Member
    We have gunvault safes in all of our vehicles... Nano's in the car and truck, GV100DX in the motorhome.
    It's best of you can bolt it down to something solid, but the Nano cables are significant enough to slow down or deter the casual "smash & grab" thieves.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Depends on your state's statutes as to whether you must have secure unattended storage or not.

Many people do a GunVault or COM type lock-box; some have a locking console; some states allow simple storage in a glove box.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I am a metalworker. I believe that it would take a good 5-10 minutes to cut the cable with quality side-cutters, one second with my special cable cutter, and 15+ minutes with the cheap chinese tools a stereo thief is likely to have. It may be possible to unbolt whatever it is looped around, but the box can be screwed down from the inside on the tunnel. I prefer mine to be unseen. I could probably pry the thing open after hammering a screwdriver in breaking the spot welds on the inner guard band. All of these take time and make noise, or require a very special cutter few own. Locks only keep honest people honest. I will not leave my weapon in the box while i am in the house, or parked in an unattended area for more than a few minutes. It is more likely someone would steal the vehicle than open the box when it is parked in front of my local Sheriff's office, or near the manned toll booth at the airport instead of a quiet corner. When I fly, attend large events, or park in a city, i tend to park in places where there is a lot of activity or near a manned station, and walk a little farther, as privacy is a thief's best friend.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Nothing is full proof the idea is one have it out of site, two secure enough that they can't just grab and run. Three make it take some time to get it out.
    I betting by the time they locate it, they wishing they were gone already. I do not leave it in the bike over night . The only time is is locked up in there is when I can't take it in with me.
    And I make sure that is parked in a well crowded area.

VIP Member
    Great suggestions and so far I like the center console. Because of quick access, car break ins aren't particularly common here so I don't think I need a safe or lock box (forgot to mention that earlier). Thanks guys, keep it coming.
    How many break ins does it take to have an unsecured gun stolen? I use and highly recommend the COM storage locker. Secures with a cable to your seat track, or any place else you can run one end of the cable through.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

thanks everyone I will be looking into these locking options.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links