What is wrong with South Carolina?

This is a discussion on What is wrong with South Carolina? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, SC. has no reciprocity with other states', regardless of holding another state CCW, resident or not. It seems that the South is more liberal ...

Thread: What is wrong with South Carolina?

Okay, SC. has no reciprocity with other states', regardless of holding another state CCW, resident or not. It seems that the South is more liberal but SC. seems to stand alone with a few others' and issue resident permits only. As I will be in SC for a week in November, what I have gleaned is that it is okay to only carry a loaded handgun in car if one has no resident permit. But, I have not seen any language if it is legal to carry open as a non-resident in SC like in some states.

Any help is appreciated and let us hope things will change. I find it hard to imagine SC not honoring the Utah Permit for non-resident's or especially the non-resident Florida which carries a good deal of weight.
    Thank you in advance.

Not quite true

Actually, South Carolina will honor the Tennessee and North Carolina permits. Of course, you have to be a resident of these latter 2 states to obtain their permits. So unless you live in TN, NC or SC, you are probably out of luck being legal in South Carolina. This can be confirmed on the website:
    HandgunLaw.us

SC does seem to be out of step with all the other Southern states, and more restrictive than them. I have never quite figured this out.
    Last edited by pogo2; September 28th, 2006 at 12:26 PM.

South Carolina wants folks from other states to meet the same requirements (or exceed them) as folks from South Carolina (SC) have to meet to carry a concealed handgun in SC.
    Mark
    SC CWP Instructor
    NC CCH Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor

I don't think open carry will fly in SC unless you're on a farm or something. I lived in Charleston about 10 years ago and you never ever saw anyone open carrying.

Looks like I won't be going to SC.

Addition to my previous posting

I said above that based on the website Handgunlaw.us, that South Carolina honored permits from North Carolina and Tennessee. There are 5 more states honored as well, which I just discovered by studying the map on that website.

South Carolina also honors permits from Arkansas, Louisiana, Ohio, Michigan and Texas, as well as the previously mentioned North Carolina and Tennessee. So a total of 7 out of state permits are honored in SC. Note that you have to be a resident of the issuing state to use your permit in SC. So although Texas grants non-resident permits, they won't work in SC.

Also, I believe that in order for the permit to be honored in SC, you have to actually own real estate in SC so that you meet a non-resident land-owner provision in the law. Sounds like another poison-pill requirement to ensure that not too many people carry on out-of-state permits in SC.
    "Don't get stuck on stupid!" -Gen. Honore in NOLA

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."- Robert A. Heinlein

More Info on another thread

Hey guys,

You might want to check out the thread entitled "South Carolina Non Resident CCW" which had its last post (by me - ccWV) on 9/26 at 10:44 pm.

On this thread I posted a current quote of the SC code allowing concealed carry in your car without a permit (as Goddy mentioned) and the restrictions for this type of carry. Also lists a second code allowing for concealed carry from your vehicle to a hotel/motel room and back to your vehicle without a permit.

While it is true that you CAN get a SC permit as a "qulified non-resident" by owning real estate in SC, this is NOT a requirement if you hold a RESIDENT ccw from one of the states pogo2 mentioned (specifically AK, AR, LA, MI, NC, OH, TX, TN, or WY). So unless you live in one of these nine states, or SC, or own property in SC, you are stuck (at least for the moment) with the law referenced on the other thread.

I'm attaching the JPG of this law again to this thread, noting that the image is sized and designed to be printed, trimmed out, and folded in half to be about the size of a business card, which I laminated and carry with me for reference.

Check out the other thread!

Good Luck!

ccWV

Sponsored Links