HELP ME... figure out real % of with CWP's

This is a discussion on HELP ME... figure out real % of with CWP's within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have found the % by state but I'd like to see it a little differently and can't find the info. In South Carolina, you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: HELP ME... figure out real % of with CWP's

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar

HELP ME... figure out real % of with CWP's

I have found the % by state but I'd like to see it a little differently and can't find the info. In South Carolina, you have to at least 21, I'm assuming the vast majority are men. So, the population of men over 21 with CWP's might be what?

My thought being if you tell a store owner 5% of SC residents have CWP's 5 per 100 may not mean much but if you take away illegals, nearly every woman... thats 5 in 50 or less, no idea how many under 21 maybe 30%?? That number starts to look more like 5 in 35 or 40 have CWP's... that reduces to 1 in 7 or 8 of men are CWP holders... If my scratching is close, that gives us buying power. We are an unknown force! Since we generally don't even know who our brothers are, we don't know how strong we are!

If you could tell a shop owner, movie chain, whatever that every 8th man that walks in their door has and always has had a gun (and they never knew) changes us from gun toting zealots to real customer they can't afford to push away.

Just some thoughts!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Numbers are what one makes of them. Just tell him he's willingly losing business, and probably more than he's aware of.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I wouldn't be so quick to discount women, I don't know about SC but here in FL we're a fast growing group of CWP holders. Still not as much as men, but even some of the white haired ladies down here are packing!

It also gets tricky figuring out the numbers if your state grants out of state permits.

There's always the risk of telling a shop owner that every 8th man who walks in is carrying, they install metal detectors! Personally, I go where I'm welcome and skip where I'm not.
    barstoolguru and joker1 like this.

Not discounting you at all, just trying to slant the numbers to make the largest impact possible.

I don't shop where I'm not welcome either but that only has an impact if the owner knows your business was lost and why. If they think they lost you, oh well but if they knew they lost 5 or 6 customers a day times 365 days a year times their average sales ticket... we become a force to not be dealt with. Wouldn't you love to see a sign that says at your local movie theater saying CWP's welcome???

For someone to compile those numbers there has to be a reason. If the government in not doing it (they have access to the records) then there is no reason to spend the money in the private sector to have it done

You can find demographic data for your state on line, most of it coming from the US Census. Just Google "age distribution by gender" or similar. You might not get the exact age categories you want (e.g., 10-19, 20-29, etc) but it'll be close enough for your purpose.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Not to try and start something, but the title says you want the real %, but then you reply you want to slant the numbers for impact...

I don't have a problem letting a business know why I won't shop there, whether telling the manager or via email. Honestly in FL the signs make no difference so I'm not that concerned, although I'll avoid based on principal, there's really not many signs here that I've noticed.

Just tell them they are losing your business and possibly the business of several other law abiding citizens and their families.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    No way to really tell. Even if the state could come out and say 1 in 10 citizens have a carry permit, that doesn't mean 1 in 10 actually carry. Just a guess, but I'd say less than half of permit holders carry daily.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    Not to try and start something, but the title says you want the real %, but then you reply you want to slant the numbers for impact...

I stand corrected...

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    I wouldn't be so quick to discount women, I don't know about SC but here in FL we're a fast growing group of CWP holders. Still not as much as men, but even some of the white haired ladies down here are packing!

It also gets tricky figuring out the numbers if your state grants out of state permits.

There's always the risk of telling a shop owner that every 8th man who walks in is carrying, they install metal detectors! Personally, I go where I'm welcome and skip where I'm not.
    Or put up a sign, in states where the sign is enforceable.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    No way to really tell. Even if the state could come out and say 1 in 10 citizens have a carry permit, that doesn't mean 1 in 10 actually carry. Just a guess, but I'd say less than half of permit holders carry daily.
    This is probably true. I know several that have permits but do not carry.

Since in nearly every state it's license-based, about the best numbers you're likely to see are the nationally collected ones. The percentages seem to be in the 1-8% range. Good enough of an estimate for the purpose you're suggesting, I'd think.

In that sense, in most states we are a long, long way from being able to simply state "Every ~8th (5th, whatever) person who walks through the door is likely to be armed."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    Not discounting you at all, just trying to slant the numbers to make the largest impact possible.
    You lost me at "slant". We have enough "spin" in the world, don't need more of it originating here. Either the data makes your point or you don't get the point.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links