A bit of a scare this morning

This is a discussion on A bit of a scare this morning within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As HB said, you have now enjoyed first hand experience in the second "O" of the OODA loop. Don't let a learning moment go past. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: A bit of a scare this morning

As HB said, you have now enjoyed first hand experience in the second "O" of the OODA loop.

Don't let a learning moment go past. The orientation phase is where most folks can make vast improvements to their chances of survival.
    Harryball likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    ; and the extra 1-2sec it would take to get pull from concealment & rack a round could be to late.
    Maybe the way you do it. A "cocked and locked" Colt .45 IWB at 9:00 with an untucked shirt is probably faster for me than my OC holster as it has a retention strap to unsnap, and "racking a round" is for Israelis.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Didn't we have a thread recently about Portland being one of the "safest" places? And a Washington (State) politico who suggested that concealed carriers "leave their gun & permits at home" because the PNW was so...uh, enlightened? Yeah, right.
    Portland, OR has been featured on the "Gangland" show on History Channel. So I dunno how "safe" you could say it was:
    http://video.tvguide.com/Gangland/Ga...illers/8693692

I think that comment was his attempt to "reduce gun violence"... the statement was so stupid that it doesn't process right though...
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

When I lived in the rural mountains of Virginia, it was weird if you didn't hear gunshots. All times of day or night. People target shooting in their back yards. I did it too.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    When I lived in the rural mountains of Virginia, it was weird if you didn't hear gunshots. All times of day or night. People target shooting in their back yards. I did it too.
    Yep, where you are would make a difference on what you expect. You don't expect to hear gunshots in the middle of a city where a legal discharge of a firearm is pretty much limited to self defense.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

I'm sure it was a scary experience. Glad you're OK. Sounds like you did fine. I honestly don't know for sure how quickly I would react, never having been in that kind of situation.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    You did fine. Any chance of using a different bus stop that might offer better cover?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Once View Post
    You did fine. Any chance of using a different bus stop that might offer better cover?
    Nope, in fact, this one is probably in the best area of the neighborhood. Go to the next stop to the East and it is getting closer to the more common problem area plus no cover and go to the next one to the West and it is a much longer walk and is right on the corner of two very busy streets and definitely no real cover nearby. I'm pretty much stuck there but just have to do my best keeping my SA up and ready to act should I need to.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Scary stuff, thanks for sharing. Its a good reminder for me to always be alert and aware of my surroundings.

GH
    You reacted just the way I'd expect a civilian to react. That's not meant to mean that you acted badly. If the shots were directed at you chances are you might have been hit by the first or second round & you instinctively realized that. Once you got over the shock & actually assimilated that they were actually gunshots you did just fine. You were able to determine how many shots were fired, the probable type of firearm, the direction they were fired from, got out of the area, kept your wits about you & called the authorities. You were ready to take action if the need arose. You were a good witness & you ensured your safety.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Where I am, out in the country, on a nice spring day it can sound like WW3.
    tricolordad and scgunlover1 like this.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by faif2d View Post
    Same here, except it happens mostly late summer through January. (That's when deer season is in full swing!) The rest of the year we hear folks out in their yards firing off everything from black powder -Aks.

Last year a guy even used a hand grenade to blow up a stump. That one did scare my wife & kids because the concussion rattled the windows & shook the whole house.

-

Quote Originally Posted by faif2d View Post
    Theres a Walmart about a mile from me in the opposite direction i shoot in, and I've had employees there that I've known for years suddenly find out that I'm the one responsible for all the gunfire lol. Had some references to WW3 thrown in there as well, especially when my jarhead brother comes to visit on leave.

To the OP: even if you dont immediately find some cover, getting low presents a smaller target.

Where I live there's a gun range (that I'm an RSO at) less than 2 miles from my house as the crow flies. Gun shots are the norm.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I'm sure you did better than the other bystanders...non gun people for the most part just don't know what to do so they do nothing.

Twice I've heard that cracklin sound of a bullet going over my head, ya hear that before the report. Both times I cussed myself for not flattening out quicker.

So I know the feeling. Just remember you did take action!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links