AIWB Tips or Tricks?

AIWB Tips or Tricks?

This is a discussion on AIWB Tips or Tricks? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, I just got this holster in today (linked below) and have been trying to find a position that's comfortable both when sitting up ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By WoodLark

Thread: AIWB Tips or Tricks?

AIWB Tips or Tricks?

Hey guys, I just got this holster in today (linked below) and have been trying to find a position that's comfortable both when sitting up and standing down. When I finally found a cant and position combo that was comfortable sitting down, the barrel of my CM9 kind of pressed into my hip flexor when walking in a very uncomfortable way. Also, is this holster suitable for any other form of carry, such as somewhere around the 5-7 o'clock positions, or is it best used for appendix carry only?

Concealed Handgun Holsters for Sub-compacts: Silent Thunder Slim II | Garrett Holsters

Distinguished Member Array miller_man's Avatar
    Well since it is labeled as an appendix holster, I'm gonna go with a yes - it is pretty much just for appendix carry.

From alot of folks on here, they make some of the best holsters for appendix carry. I am very interested in trying one out someday.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Get another style holster and wear it from 3 o'clock to 4 o'clock. Alot more comfortable. I don't like IWB. All of mine are OWB. Welcome aboard. You just started the search for a perfect holster. Empty out your sox drawer you are going to need it to put your holsters in.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Contrary to common thought, I find that a longer barrel actually helps comfort when carrying AIWB. It sounds like your CM9 barrel may be a little short. One way of alleviating the discomfort is to use a holster that is actually a little longer than necessary for the gun. Garrett makes excellent quality holsters. However, I have an issues with their Slim II AIWB. I don't like holster with a single offset clip; they seem unstable to me. Actually, with rare exception I don't care for clips at all; I would much rather have loops that snap around the belt.

AIWB more than any other style of carry is VERY sensitive to location. As little as 1/4" can make all the difference in the world.
    marcclarke, beararms and sensei2 like this.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

I carry a Sig P229 in a Garrett Ind. AIWB. Find the right position for carry on your body type and the Slim is an excellent rig. I AIWB mine farther off my centerline at ~ 1:30- 2 where it conceals perfectly. A good trick for AIWB carry is to loosen up your belt a notch or two from where you wear it when carrying behind the hip. A looser belt allows an Appendix carried gun to move with you and with your body, too tight and you are fighting against the gun and rig every time you sit or bend.

To answer your second question about re-locating the Slim II behind your hip: the offset nature of the design won't work well there.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Unfortunately, for a laundry list of reasons, OWB carry is not an option for me- I have to have IWB, tucked, and a carry weapon that is basically invisible. I think once I get used to this setup I may slowly adjust to what works for me. I really love the holster I got, and it does indeed 'disappear' in appendix carry location which is great (I have to go to clients offices frequently, as in 20-40% of the time on average throughout the year).

Appendix carry

I have experimented with appendix carry and found that it works well under certain circumstances. But you need to have the right gun, holster and build to be successful with it. I favor the Comp-Tac "2 O'clock" holster model with short barrel guns, and have had my best luck with a S&W 642 revolver, as shown below.

Appendix carry has several advantages. The draw can be very fast, especially when seated, because the gun is close to your hand. And if your stomach size is "normal", the gun sits in a hollow below your rib cage where concealment is fairly easy. But I would avoid using a gun with barrel length over about 3 inches, because the end of the barrel can poke the top of your leg when seated.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Thanks! I haven't tried this one as far over as 2:00 yet really, closer to 12:30 - 1:00 mostly. And I'm around 6'2 165 pounds so I don't have much of a gut issue (yet lol).

Also, on the topic of cant: what is the purpose of canting the weapon as shown below in an AIWB carry method? For me, it just makes it harder to draw due to the angle.

cm9_tuckable1.jpg

I think you will find that it is much more comfortable between 1:00 and 2:00. If I am using a holster with straps, I usually position it so that the straps are on either side of the first belt loop. If using a clip on holster, I position the clip immediately to the rear of the first belt loop (this works for most pants I own; some have oddly placed belt loops). In this position, I have comfortably carried guns with barrels as short as 1-7/8" to those with barrels over 4" long (and no problem sitting down).

Also, as to your question about cant. For me, neutral cant works best for appendix carry. Some people like a reverse cant. The picture you posted is a normal cant for strongside (about 4:00) and would not work well for AIWB.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Quote Originally Posted by WoodLark View Post
    Also, as to your question about cant. For me, neutral cant works best for appendix carry. Some people like a reverse cant. The picture you posted is a normal cant for strongside (about 4:00) and would not work well for AIWB.
    That's why it's so strange to me. That holster is marketed as an AIWB holster, and my holster is marketed as an AIWB as well but the adjustable cant only goes from neutral to beyond the point of the picture I linked above.

Loosen your belt.

Absolutely the biggest thing that helped me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

Sponsored Links