No Permit: vehicle carry: South Carolina

This is a discussion on No Permit: vehicle carry: South Carolina within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Snatale42 I've yet to ever see a class that goes into a states law, that would be SUICIDE for the instructor. It's ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: No Permit: vehicle carry: South Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Snatale42 View Post
    I've yet to ever see a class that goes into a states law, that would be SUICIDE for the instructor. It's a gun safety course, not a law lesson.
    The one I took included state law. Gun buster signs, transportation, restricted areas, etc.

No spell-checker with Tapatalk, sorry.

2. Remove Ads

My LTC class did too, the instructor was a former police officer so he also gave us "unofficial" advice.

Such as, if you are in a building that is not your home and someone is coming at you with a knife, yell "DROP THE KNIFE!" loudly to attempt to get witnesses to hear you. You can only shoot if you're backed into a corner and cannot exit safely. If you have an exit, you have to use it (stupid IMO) because there's no public "Castle Doctrine" here, just in your home.

I live in Augusta, GA right on the border of South Carolina. I have a GA weapons carry license, but SC does not have reciprocity (hopefully this will change soon). Every once in a great while I travel into South Carolina, and wanted to know this very thing. I called the SLED concealed weapons permit phone number, and the lady that answered told me that it must be in a glove box, console, or trunk, locked or unlocked, loaded or unloaded. As long as its out of sight in one of those places, you're good.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by Snatale42 View Post
    I've yet to ever see a class that goes into a states law, that would be SUICIDE for the instructor. It's a gun safety course, not a law lesson.
    State law is a BIG part of the NC concealed handgun class. Both on the use of deadly force and also the laws governing concealed carry.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

This should answer your question...

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/southcarolina.pdf

RV/Car Carry Without A Permit/License
    Anyone who can legally own a firearm can carry it loaded if contained in a closed Glove Box, Console or Trunk. Their law is very specific on the only locations where it can be carried.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Easiest answer....check your DA's website or simply call your local Sheriff's Office or the office that issues CC permits in your jurisdiction.... You need straight, reproducible facts on this one.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    First Sgt & OldVet got it right, but don't forget if traveling north into NC the law is the opposite. You must have a CWP to keep it in a console or glove-box. You can however have it in the open. And this is by AG opinion rather than statute. Ain't this fun?
    pittypat21 and tcox4freedom like this.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

The law says "In a closed compartment with an integral fastener." A latched glove box or console, with a lid, will do. It can be loaded or unloaded---your choice...

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, there were a lot of things that weren't discussed in my class that should of been. Luckily, my mother and sister ended up with a much better instructor and I was happy to hear them relaying correct information when they were telling me how their class went.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I teach CWP in South Carolina...I believe too much information is better than not enough any time!

Quote Originally Posted by stang07 View Post
    The law says "In a closed compartment with an integral fastener." A latched glove box or console, with a lid, will do. It can be loaded or unloaded---your choice...
    Or just holster the gun on your hip and you don't have to worry about it.

No spell-check with Tapatalk, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    Or just holster the gun on your hip and you don't have to worry about it.

Without a SC reciprocal permit?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by stang07 View Post
    No, it says: "a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle;..."

It does not say a closed glove box with a latched fastener, it says : "or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle;...",

Meaning it can be carried in the luggage compartment as long as it's in a closed AND latched container, such as a gun case. This is for vehicles such as a SUV or Hatchback which do not have a separate trunk. One can hardly expect to have it in a closed, latched glove box AND in the luggage compartment. While most glove boxes and consules have some sort of latch, some do not, relying on spring hinges.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Without a SC reciprocal permit?
    Sorry...what? What's that? My state only has one kind of permit and it's not even required to transport or carry open. I guess you have more red tape to deal with then I thought. Nevermind.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links