No Permit: vehicle carry: South Carolina

This is a discussion on No Permit: vehicle carry: South Carolina within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have my South Carolina CWP. However, a friend of mine just took the class and is waiting for his permit to come in the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: No Permit: vehicle carry: South Carolina

I have my South Carolina CWP. However, a friend of mine just took the class and is waiting for his permit to come in the mail (about 100 days wait here) and he was curious as to whether of not he was allowed to have a handgun in his vehicle while waiting.

I'm also asking because my mother and sister are taking their CWP class this morning. Both incidents that 'carried' my mom over to the gun side occurred while she was in her vehicle.

I may be wrong but under the SC castle doctrine, isn't your car considered an extension of your home? I did some searching to find out whether or not possessing a handgun IN your car, without a CWP, was legal or not but all Iegal code I found saying it was legal was dated 2008.

Does anybody here know a definite answer on this?

Sent from my palm device
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

look at handgunlaw.us. It will give you the info you need.
    JerryMac likes this.

) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a
    closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however,
    this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement
    officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driverís license, registration, or proof of insurance;
    The above quote is from Handgunlaw.us

From what I can tell they cannot have immediate access to a firearm in their vehicle without a License,it has to be in a locked compartment
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    I have my South Carolina CWP. However, a friend of mine just took the class and is waiting for his permit to come in the mail (about 100 days wait here) and he was curious as to whether of not he was allowed to have a handgun in his vehicle while waiting.

I'm also asking because my mother and sister are taking their CWP class this morning. Both incidents that 'carried' my mom over to the gun side occurred while she was in her vehicle.

I may be wrong but under the SC castle doctrine, isn't your car considered an extension of your home? I did some searching to find out whether or not possessing a handgun IN your car, without a CWP, was legal or not but all Iegal code I found saying it was legal was dated 2008.

Does anybody here know a definite answer on this?

Sent from my palm device
    If your friend doesn't know the answer then I sugest he take the class again.

No spell-checker with Tapatalk, sorry.
    SCXDm9, tcox4freedom and JerryMac like this.

This will answer all of your questions... SLED Gun Laws. Be sure to read CAREFULLY and COMPLETELY. Legal carry inside a vehicle is covered within this document.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

This.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    If your friend doesn't know the answer then I sugest he take the class again.
    It definitly should have been covered in the class. If it wasn't then you guys need to find another instructor. When your mom and sister get home today see if they know the answer.
    tcox4freedom and JerryMac like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Perhaps the class only covered firearm carry as it concerns a CC permit and not concerns without one?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Perhaps the class only covered firearm carry as it concerns a CC permit and not concerns without one?
    Knowing what you do and do not need a permit for, what your permit does and does not cover, is a core part of a CCW class.

tcox4freedom and JerryMac like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    To clarify Duke's posting:

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver’s license, registration, or proof of insurance;

SO it appears, to me at least, one can carry a firearm ina vehicle without a permit as the statute makes no mention of a requirement to be loaded or unloaded, nor does it require the compartment to be locked. But this is just my opinion and I don't live in SC.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Knowing what you do and do not need a permit for, what your permit does and does not cover, is a core part of a CCW class.

I've yet to ever see a class that goes into a states law, that would be SUICIDE for the instructor. It's a gun safety course, not a law lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by Snatale42 View Post
    I've yet to ever see a class that goes into a states law, that would be SUICIDE for the instructor. It's a gun safety course, not a law lesson.
    That really depends on the state, I guess. In Texas, gun safety is discussed, but it is only a fraction of the class time. State laws regarding firearms, concealed carry, and use of force take up a large portion and a fairly large portion is spent talking about techniques and theories regarding confrontations and how to keep from needing to use your firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    To clarify Duke's posting:

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver’s license, registration, or proof of insurance;

SO it appears, to me at least, one can carry a firearm ina vehicle without a permit as the statute makes no mention of a requirement to be loaded or unloaded, nor does it require the compartment to be locked. But this is just my opinion and I don't live in SC.
    This^. Not required to be locked..just secured...like a glove box.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Depends on the state. In some, the introductory training is both, as required by law in that state.

In many states, the "training" requirements specify coverage of the CHL and use-of-force related laws, above and beyond mere comfort with firearms handling and general safety. For example ... Oregon requires that a person simply "Demonstrates competence with a handgun" (ORS 166.291(f)), while Kentucky requires coverage of CHL and use-of-force related law in addition to safety/handling (KRS 237.110(4)(i)).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Per SC 23-31-210

(5) “Proof of training” means an original document or certified copy of the document supplied by an applicant that certifies that he is either:

(a) a person who, within three years before filing an application, has successfully completed a basic or advanced handgun education course offered by a state, county, or municipal law enforcement agency or a nationally recognized organization that promotes gun safety. This education course must be a minimum of eight hours and must include, but is not limited to:

(i) information on the statutory and case law of this State relating to handguns and to the use of deadly force;

(ii) information on handgun use and safety;

(iii) information on the proper storage practice for handguns with an emphasis on storage practices that reduces the possibility of accidental injury to a child; and

(iv) the actual firing of the handgun in the presence of the instructor;
    tcox4freedom likes this.

In TN they actually play a video from the SAG's office so yes some states go into the law surrounding carry in public.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links