Great little story! (well I think so. . .long post)

This is a discussion on Great little story! (well I think so. . .long post) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So since I been on this thread I have been shaping up how I scan parking lots and perk up on what type of noises ...

Thread: Great little story! (well I think so. . .long post)

So since I been on this thread I have been shaping up how I scan parking lots and perk up on what type of noises I hear around the house. So my very close friend (like my brother) just passes the police academy and is in the final stages of becoming a Sheriff. So one day he asked my why do I feel the need to carry a gun everywhere you go and that he is glad that the local newspaper printed a list of people that CCW. I turned around and started to go off on him. . . . OH man it looked a little like this

After explaining why I carry and why it was BS that the local newspaper printed that he agreed about the newspaper but didn't agree why I carried. So to the conversation I put to him like this "It is like a seat belt you never know when you are going to need it." Conversation ended and for the rest of the day it bothered me because here I am taking all measures to protect myself and family and here he is about to become a LEO and he doesn't believe that he needs to carry all the time. So to get it off of my mind I told myself he just needs a good scare to get him into the mind set of carrying all the time when possible.

He called me a couple of days ago and left a voicemail telling me that he needed to tell me story. So I called back and he told me that he was parked on the street in his car (in a pretty rough neighborhood) music loud and using his phone to log on to my space. (He has a pretty nice phone Samsung A900) As he was rapping he noticed a male from the distance walking a dog. Now he is a little more alert because it was late at night. When he looked back up the male was nowhere to be found. A couple secs later the he seen the male approaching he truck from behind pretty fast and all he did was lock his door. (All I said was good idea ) The male hit his window and yelled real loud. Turns out that the male was a deputy that he works with and he knows him real well. The dog was a pit bull.

I know my buddy like a book and after he told me the story he got quiet and I smiled and said go ahead and he said he didn't want to admit that I was right on having my firearm on me at all time. I asked if at that moment he wished he had a firearm and he said it would have made him feel a lot more comfortable. So after that little scare he got out of the truck and talked to him for a little bit and my buddy asked if he was armed and the deputy said hell ya I am this neighborhood is getting bad quick. The deputy asked if my buddy was armed and my buddy said no the deputy was like what are you crazy you better get in the habit quick of carry 24/7. So guess who is looking for a carry gun on and off duty. He legally can not carry yet but will be the day that he becomes a deputy.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to share with you this story.

VIP Member
    I was a LEO for a time and I know several of the "younger" new coppers in my city. I hate to say it but there is a growing attitude among them that only the police should have guns! SHEESH!

Knowing who they deal with day to day I understand how they get to thinking that way but sad to say, some just think that they are better than the rest of us.

It's good to hear that there are those who do understand and hopefully will enlighten their peers!

Thanks for sharing!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Hopelessly naive and uninformed

Your friend the aspiring LEO who wonders why people arm themselves is almost hopelessly naive and uninformed. Any person who is moderately well versed in the realities of the world would never ask such a question.

Hopefully none of us will ever have to use that gun. But if you ever do need it to defend your life, you will have a split second to get the gun in your hand, and it could be the most important thing in the world to you.

That's pretty weird. You would think the police would back up a citizen willing to take measures to protect himself. I've read stories of cops reacting pretty bizarre when people hand them their ccw license. One cop told a guy, "don't reach for your gun!" as he placed his hand on his sidearm and backed away a few steps. I know cops have to be prepared for anything, but handing someone ID is not a threatening gesture. That lack of understanding from a LEO would scare me. Course, I have met some that are all for it and recommend it.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bando View Post
    I've read stories of cops reacting pretty bizarre when people hand them their ccw license. One cop told a guy, "don't reach for your gun!" as he placed his hand on his sidearm and backed away a few steps. I know cops have to be prepared for anything, but handing someone ID is not a threatening gesture. That lack of understanding from a LEO would scare me.
    Yeah, I've heard some horror stories like that too. One of my worries is that I'll run into one of these only-cops-should-have-guns LEO's, hand him my ID, and he'll start treating me like a criminal or over-react like in Bando's story.

fm2
    That was a bargain price for that lesson.

The bonus lesson is DO NOT GET TASK FIXATED IN A VEHICLE.

Elrey...

your close friend WILL come around eventually.
    Remember, a conservative is only a liberal...with experience!
    Your friend will eventually come around as he gets more 'up close and personal' encounters with so many of today's BG's.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

LEO's & Guns

Somwtimes LEOs get weird or on power trips, just like any other group of people, you'll get all kinds. I have two friends one who works for PD in Charlotte NC and the other used to work for Lee county SD. They are both all for CC and when they visit and we go somewhere we are both carrying and our wives sometimes make remarks jokingly but they understand why.

Opposite Case: My cousin had a friend in MO who he grew up shooting and hunting with. This friend went into the BATF and when he came out of training my cousin said he was totally different, no longer believing anyone should own guns except cops.

Personal Story: Once I was stopped at a DUI checkpoint. This was before CC, but as I have stated in other posts, I always legally kept a pistol in my glove box in a holster for protection. So when they ased for my registration I had to tell them that a pistol was in my glovebox, because I was surrounded with two cops at each window and didn't want them to freak. I kept my hands on the wheel and calmly said ok I don't want anybody to panic, but there's something I need to tell you, I have a pistol in my glove box, so I want you to open the glove box for me. They all freaked, drew down on me, told me to get out, asked if I had any drugs etc.etc. They searched my truck and then one cop asked me "Why are you carrying a gun?" and I replied, "for the same reason you are, sir". They let me go and gave my gun back, unloaded.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

In many police academies, the students are encouraged to take on the "us vs. them" attitude. They're taught that the only people they can really trust are their fellow cops. Theory being that when the S hits the F, they will be more likely to NOT overlook the danger posed by people that "appear" harmless.

A lot of them take this lesson on too deeply. They honestly believe that if only cops were allowed to have guns, then it would make their job that much easier... anyone in possession of a gun would automatically be a criminal.

FWIW...

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ceetee View Post
    In many police academies, the students are encouraged to take on the "us vs. them" attitude. They're taught that the only people they can really trust are their fellow cops. Theory being that when the S hits the F, they will be more likely to NOT overlook the danger posed by people that "appear" harmless.

A lot of them take this lesson on too deeply. They honestly believe that if only cops were allowed to have guns, then it would make their job that much easier... anyone in possession of a gun would automatically be a criminal.

FWIW...
    Unfortunately, a lot of citizens also have an us vs them mentality when it comes to cops. Personally, every time I've been pulled over, I am polite, calm, and cooperative, and thus far, I haven't gotten any grief from an officer. But I live in a college town, and I've seen friends of mine turn into completely different people as soon as there's someone with a badge standing outside their door. Not that they would try to run or hurt the officer, but their demeanor just turns into I-got-caught-with-my-hand-in-the-cookie-jar.

So, I can almost understand the cops erring on the side of caution when it comes to firearms, and I have no problem with them wanting me to disarm, but there is still a level of personal respect that needs to be present, and for God's sakes, there's no excuse for drawing or threatening to draw on a law-abiding citizen, regardless of what he's carrying, as long as it's legal.

Sponsored Links