Teaching first Concealed Weapons Class...

This is a discussion on Teaching first Concealed Weapons Class... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Make it fun and interesting. If you are using a powerpoint, use some videos to drive home points during the class. For instance I use ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Teaching first Concealed Weapons Class...

Make it fun and interesting.

If you are using a powerpoint, use some videos to drive home points during the class. For instance I use the Joe Horn 911 call in every class to get several points across after covering the use of force statutes.

I use some videos to point out bad and good examples of non violent resolution after covering that section. And then I have just some fun videos mixed in during the class to break up the boredome of all the stuff that Texas requires.

The last thing I do at the end of the day is show the video of the Lance Thomas to drive home the point that simply getting ones CHL isn't enough, there are mental aspects, training aspects, mental scenarios that one can go through ect. The piece of plastic really only makes one legal, not necessarily ready.

Oh and yes, gun safety must be stressed over and over. Get some dummy pistols for the class so that you can work with folks who have limited experience shooting to work on grip, stance ect.

Again, make it fun, interesting and most importantly safe and you will do well.

One of my renewal students from last Saturdays class (he elected to do the whole 10 hour class with his wife instead of the 4 hours required by the state for renewal) told me there was night and day difference between our class and his first class. His first class consisted of hum drum reading of statutes and other material. He said the videos, and other related materials included in the class make it much, much more enjoyable and interesting.
    oneshot likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Great idea! I'll use that!

Just focus on safety and the law I guess, I liked my S&W class.

Administrator
    You'll do just fine.
    OLD TRICK....if you feel like you're getting nervous...just imagine everyone sitting there with their clothes off. Instantly you'll not feel nervous anymore.
    It sounds like it's a joke but, it really works.

First and foremost be yourself. Make no absolutes. Know the material, and you will be fine. Have fun and be safe....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

be safe, you learn from you students.

Be sure to know your students' background as well. Some classes can be chock full of newbies to most any sort of firearm, while others can be peppered with folks who have long years of being around firearms of all sorts. You can leverage their knowledge to help make the lessons and examples more poignant.

Bringing along a Blue Gun might be worthwhile, if you've got one. Good for the basic safety/handling drills that don't involve operating the gun. Useful for an example of weapons retention/disarm issues, too.

Enjoy!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Make it fun and interesting.

Get some dummy pistols for the class so that you can work with folks who have limited experience shooting to work on grip, stance ect.

I guess I question the use of this? I doubt there will be the opportunity to use a proper weaver stance with a cup and saucer grip while be attacked by bad guys.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Quote Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post
    I guess I question the use of this? I doubt there will be the opportunity to use a proper weaver stance with a cup and saucer grip while be attacked by bad guys.
    It really depends on the class, and the goals of it, and how it is marketed.

However, even though you may not be able to use a proper stance on the streets, it is the best way to learn the fundamentals of pistol shooting. Shooters need a solid foundation of the fundamentals of how to shoot, before they move on to more advanced techniques.

That solid foundation enhances your abilities with more advanced techniques. If you can't shoot well standing still on a static range, you aren't going to be able to run and gun well.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Please make sure any info you give is correct. Whether it be about laws (syg, castle, transport) or whatever. I was given a lot of bad information and a lack of information as well at mine.

Sent from my palm device
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    You'll do just fine.
    OLD TRICK....if you feel like you're getting nervous...just imagine everyone sitting there with their clothes off. Instantly you'll not feel nervous anymore.
    It sounds like it's a joke but, it really works.
    OK I am a little uncomfortable now....
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

I don't know about Texas, but the class requirements in Florida are minimal and have zero to do with firearms competency, never mind stance and grip or SD. The idea that someone would take the FL course and then walk around with a concealed firearm with no further training is pretty scary.

So my advice would be cover the required material well, make sure everyone understands that the 4 rules are non-negotiable/become a way of life, and provide a list of solid additional resources/IDPA or whatever you like for further training.

Stress that a permit and a gun does not = competency. Neither does a few rounds at the indoor range.

...and in case you decide to use PowerPoint: Death by PowerPoint
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post
    So what exactly am I supposed to teach newer shooters about grip and stance. Maybe the classic gangster sideways grip while holding your britches up with the other hand?

When I toss them a grey gun, (mine are all grey not blue) and they grip it with their weak thumb crossed behind the web of their strong hand, which would lead to the slide biting them when the action cycled, am I supposed to just ignore it and make sure I have extra bandages in the range bag?

When I toss them the grey gun and they immediately grip the gun and put their finger on the trigger, am I supposed to ignore that as well, hoping they won't do that at the range?

BTW, cup and saucer grip went out a long long time ago. I certainly hope no one still teaches that stuff.

I question what you would allow in a class, or how you would find the competency of students before getting to the range with real guns and real bullets if you wouldn't start with basic fundamentals.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    Take it one subject at a time and you will be just fine.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links