Teaching first Concealed Weapons Class...

This is a discussion on Teaching first Concealed Weapons Class... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On Saturday, I will be teaching my first CWP class. Does anyone have any tips for me? I'm a bit nervous, as it's been a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Teaching first Concealed Weapons Class...

  1. #1
    New Member Array stang07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Liberty, South Carolina
    Posts
    14

    Teaching first Concealed Weapons Class...

    On Saturday, I will be teaching my first CWP class. Does anyone have any tips for me? I'm a bit nervous, as it's been a few years since I've taught any classes. I used to be a Taser instructor, so I have some experience...

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    VIP Member Array suntzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    TX/NH
    Posts
    5,822
    Don't shoot anyone. Good luck.
    multistage, ericmt and Caertaker like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

    Isaiah 6:8

  4. #3
    New Member Array stang07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Liberty, South Carolina
    Posts
    14
    Yes...that would be bad!

  5. #4
    VIP Member
    Array oneshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    +42.893612,-082.710236 , Mi.
    Posts
    7,935
    Here is My nephew's page link,
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/members/spec.html
    Give him an E mail and hopefully he will respond in time before your class.
    I will also send him an e mail with this thread link in it.
    He and a good friend of his give classes out at my place a number of times a year.
    He may have some general insight.

    Make sure you are very knowlegable in your state specific info, as far as where someone can carry, if gun buster signs carry weight of law and so on and so forth.
    People really need to know that kind of thing.
    It suprises me the people who sign on here @ DC and ask these things, and I feel they should have already knew that from taking their class.
    Does your state have a castle doctrine?
    Does your state have a stand your ground law?
    It helps greatly if you can have a police officer, or a criminal lawyer there to explain things as well.
    My nephews associate is a police officer, and my nephew is studying to be a lawyer.
    We had a lawyer that the instructor knew at my CPL class years ago.It really seemed to help as far as a lot of questions.
    OULEO13 and Glhadiator like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

    Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

  6. #5
    New Member Array stang07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Liberty, South Carolina
    Posts
    14
    I am a retired officer, so I know pretty good. Hey, would you happen to also be on the surplus rifle forum?

  7. #6
    VIP Member Array SmokinFool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,297
    The best tip anyone can give you is to know your material. Front, back, sideways. Know it. And then just be yourself. The best teachers I have encountered were always knowledgeable, friendly and presented the material in a forthright manor.

  8. #7
    VIP Member Array multistage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NW Iowa
    Posts
    2,370
    Chances are it will be easy for you. Students in a class like this WANT to learn, and that makes your job easier.

  9. #8
    Member Array lyz_grace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    251
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    The best tip anyone can give you is to know your material. Front, back, sideways. Know it. And then just be yourself. The best teachers I have encountered were always knowledgeable, friendly and presented the material in a forthright manor.
    My biggest problem with any sort of teacher is the know-it-all syndrome. You already know you're qualified - just be honest! If you don't know the answer to a question, "I don't know, let me look that up and get back to you" is always better than BS to try and save face.

  10. #9
    Moderator
    Array buckeye .45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    7,611
    Know your material.

    Be prepared for all sorts off questions, and know how to respond to them tactfully.

    Teach gun safety by example

    Leave your attitude and ego at the door, the purpose is to train your pupils, not puff yourself up (not saying you are that kind, just a general suggestion).

    Don't give your students bad info.

    Wear comfortable shoes, drink lots of water.
    oneshot likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

    Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

  11. #10
    VIP Member Array SmokinFool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,297
    Quote Originally Posted by lyz_grace View Post
    My biggest problem with any sort of teacher is the know-it-all syndrome. You already know you're qualified - just be honest! If you don't know the answer to a question, "I don't know, let me look that up and get back to you" is always better than BS to try and save face.
    Absolutely. The last thing you want to do to your students is give them a BS answer. Not in any situation, but definitely not when dealing with a subject as important as this.
    stang07 likes this.

  12. #11
    Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Under a rock.
    Posts
    1,763
    Quote Originally Posted by lyz_grace View Post
    My biggest problem with any sort of teacher is the know-it-all syndrome. You already know you're qualified - just be honest! If you don't know the answer to a question, "I don't know, let me look that up and get back to you" is always better than BS to try and save face.
    Fantastic advice! It also saves people who may wouldn't know "bad/wrong" information from "good/wrong" information.

    Good luck.


    "To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

  13. #12
    Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Metro Detroit Area
    Posts
    1,716
    Hello I'm also a Instructor NRA Pistol and Rifle as my uncle oneshot has said. Everything these guys have said so far is right on. Here are my tips. Safety is NUMBER ONE. If we see anything that violates the safety rules we speak up. Remember to stress safety until it is first nature. Second nature should be everything else.

    Next I'd say don't lecture to long teach then have the students do what they just learned, drawing, stance, etc. take breaks/offer bathroom breaks every 40-45 mins

    Have your materials ready and organized. Power point or notes whatever help you stay on track this way you can check off the important stuff and make sure you covered it.

    Last have fun and explain the gun terms don't assume people know our language

    Stay safe let unknown how it goes!
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

    Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

    If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

  14. #13
    Member Array Glhadiator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Here is My nephew's page link,
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/members/spec.html
    Give him an E mail and hopefully he will respond in time before your class.
    I will also send him an e mail with this thread link in it.
    He and a good friend of his give classes out at my place a number of times a year.
    He may have some general insight.

    Make sure you are very knowlegable in your state specific info, as far as where someone can carry, if gun buster signs carry weight of law and so on and so forth.
    People really need to know that kind of thing.
    It suprises me the people who sign on here @ DC and ask these things, and I feel they should have already knew that from taking their class.
    Does your state have a castle doctrine?
    Does your state have a stand your ground law?
    It helps greatly if you can have a police officer, or a criminal lawyer there to explain things as well.
    My nephews associate is a police officer, and my nephew is studying to be a lawyer.
    We had a lawyer that the instructor knew at my CPL class years ago.It really seemed to help as far as a lot of questions.
    Great post! I second this. It causes me great concern when I keep seeing posts/threads here asking about laws that should have been covered in their class.

    Good luck with your class!

    Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

  15. #14
    Member Array doctruptwn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    281
    Know your material and be yourself. Don't try and impress your audience. Being yourself and being cool and collected will sell itself.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

    NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

  16. #15
    Ex Member Array Doodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Tomball TX
    Posts
    948
    Don't pick up one of your students pistols on the range between courses of fire load and fire it twice... Yes this happened to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

conceal carry classes near tomball tx
,

concealed carry powerpoint

,

concealed carry teaching material

,

concealed weapon teaching class

,

ky conceal carry powerpoint

,
ppt of first weapon training class
,

teacher concealed weapons

,
teaching a concealed weapons class in florida
,

teaching first concealed carry class

,
teaching mi concealed carry
,
va concealed carry powerpoint
,
where can i get my certification to carry a taser in fort dodge iowa
Click on a term to search for related topics.