What would our KIDS suggest we say to another kid who asks about our gun?

This is a discussion on What would our KIDS suggest we say to another kid who asks about our gun? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The idea for this thread was sparked by the interesting discussion, http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...-your-gun.html . I wonder what our KIDS would suggest we might say? You know, ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By multistage
  • 4 Post By pgrass101
  • 1 Post By SmokinFool

Thread: What would our KIDS suggest we say to another kid who asks about our gun?

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

The idea for this thread was sparked by the interesting discussion, What do you say if a little child asks about your gun?.

I wonder what our KIDS would suggest we might say?

You know, I'm wondering what sort of answers we might get to something like this:

"Honey, on Thanksgiving [etc.] we're going to be visiting the cousins. You know that Daddy carries a gun. You also know it's none of their business. But what if one of them happens to bump into me and asks me what it is? What do you think I should tell them?"

I realize that bringing something like this up out of the blue might be unwise. But if you happen to be talking about guns with your child this might be an interesting thing to discuss. If you do, would you please consider posting their age and their response?
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

I never worry about kids and my guns, especially not my kids. If others "bump" into my belt and get an idea, I don't care. Has never happened. If they have me pegged and ask, I won't lie.

It's the guns in the other house that worry me.
    Poseidon and jem102 like this.

Senior Moderator
    I think my kids believe that every "Daddy" carries a gun. They seem astounded when someone is not carrying a gun.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Cell phone.... to me its no more his business than any other person on the street

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs!!!

Open carry is to a handgun as bluetooth is to a cell phone!

Well, my "kid" is 22 years old, but I think if we had asked him about it when he was young he would have just said to tell the truth. We always tried to instill in him the importance of telling the truth.
    GeorgiaDawg likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    Well, my "kid" is 22 years old, but I think if we had asked him about it when he was young he would have just said to tell the truth. We always tried to instill in him the importance of telling the truth.

^^^WoW^^^^^^^^^^^

What kind of foolish notions are you trying to instill on our youth nowadays?
    Tell the truth?

What kind of 1950's malarkey are you pushing here?
    Just Kidding
    I agree.
    Its rather refreshing isn't it.

I think my 17,19& 23 year old would just say make some story up, but the 9 year old would say "yeah its a gun"
    They all like to shoot, with the 17& 19 yr old daughter enjoying it more than the 23 yr old son.
    He hunts but doesn't get all fired up about punching paper a lot.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

My daughter moved in with us about three years ago with our granddaughter to finish college. The little one was only seven at the time. Kids are innocent and will say whatever comes to mind. So I decided that it would be better if I sat down and talked to her about me carrying a gun.

I explained to her why I carried it concealed and that she should just act as if I don't have a gun at all. I also told her it would be best if she never talked to any friends about it either. I also explained to her that it wasn't something to brag about or show off.

That was three years ago. Never a peep, nothing, not even a sideways look to give me away. If you went by her you would swear I don't carry at all. I'm pretty darn proud of her.

Each child is different but I believe that being honest with them and explaining guns to them is better than hiding it from them. I feel that it is important that I educate my child about guns and not Hollywood.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

It has always been my position that it is the parents responsibility to tell the children what to say and how to act for all activities and situations. We do this by example. I have successfully raised 4 children to adulthood with this primes.
    :) YMMV
    Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    The idea for this thread was sparked by the interesting discussion, What do you say if a little child asks about your gun?.

I wonder what our KIDS would suggest we might say?

You know, I'm wondering what sort of answers we might get to something like this:

"Honey, on Thanksgiving [etc.] we're going to be visiting the cousins. You know that Daddy carries a gun. You also know it's none of their business. But what if one of them happens to bump into me and asks me what it is? What do you think I should tell them?"

I realize that bringing something like this up out of the blue might be unwise. But if you happen to be talking about guns with your child this might be an interesting thing to discuss. If you do, would you please consider posting their age and their response?
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

My great nieces and nephews would ask if it was the same kind of gun as their daddys. All 6 of us carry plus our sons and daughters. You can almost smell the gun oil at our family gatherings.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^WoW^^^^^^^^^^^

What kind of foolish notions are you trying to instill on our youth nowadays?
    Tell the truth?

What kind of 1950's malarkey are you pushing here?
    Just Kidding
    I agree.
    Its rather refreshing isn't it.

I think my 17,19& 23 year old would just say make some story up, but the 9 year old would say "yeah its a gun"
    They all like to shoot, with the 17& 19 yr old daughter enjoying it more than the 23 yr old son.
    He hunts but doesn't get all fired up about punching paper a lot.
    Yeah I know, pretty novel concept, honesty, lol. Note, I said be honest, I didn't necessarily say to admit to carrying. Sometimes I could see myself being in the mood to just say it's none of their business, which would be an honest answer as well.

Quote Originally Posted by velo99 View Post
    My great nieces and nephews would ask if it was the same kind of gun as their daddys. All 6 of us carry plus our sons and daughters. You can almost smell the gun oil at our family gatherings.
    Sounds like you did right by your kids. After all, the family that shoots together...well, you know.

Links