Proper etiquette when being pulled over.

This is a discussion on Proper etiquette when being pulled over. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've always thought this said it pretty well:...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Proper etiquette when being pulled over.

I've always thought this said it pretty well:

357and40 likes this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    To the folks who inform, even if the law doesnt require it: Thanks! It puts us at ease. Plus, the vast majority of us are very pro 2a. Not saying it'll get you out of a ticket, but we're now off to a good start.

I may be a bad example as far as traffic violations though. I write maybe 5-ish tickets / month for traffic violations. If theres no dope or illegal guns in the car, and your DL is valid, you are probably good to go.
    - It's nice to hear a response from an LEO that is very reasonable. Unfortunately, if you look at other threads, when you notify, it can lead to the officer disarming you and running your handgun's serial number to check to see if it's stolen. IMO, that's ridiculous. Not to mention that I don't want to be disarmed by an officer. I don't know what his/her experience is with my firearms and the last thing I want is a ND.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

To the folks who inform, even if the law doesnt require it: Thanks! It puts us at ease. Plus, the vast majority of us are very pro 2a. Not saying it'll get you out of a ticket, but we're now off to a good start.
    I respect LEO's. They do a crummy job. But I did not know it was my job to put anyone at ease. Maybe LEO's can start putting other people at ease by telling them I pulled you over for xyz, and explain why they are shining their flashlight all over the place. Why they have to ask where I am heading. Asking where I was coming from.

Believe it or not when a LEO stops someone that person (like my son and other folks I know) are not put at ease and the officer does nothing to help an already crappy situation (ie speeding ticket=fine and more insurance)
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Being young, I get pulled over a lot. I have found that, when pulling over, it is best to roll your driver side window down. Get out your drivers license and CHL out once you've come to a stop and hold both hands out of the window.

The officer will take his time (doing whatever it is that takes them so long) and will probably ask you why you have your hands out of the window. Reply by telling the officer that you are a CHL holder and you have a loaded gun in the car. Most cops appreciate the transparency.

I got pulled over twice in one week by state troopers in TX and in AR, and I got two warnings (and one was for going 17 over). I honestly believe my behavior when getting pulled over had something to do with both warnings.
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - It's nice to hear a response from an LEO that is very reasonable. Unfortunately, if you look at other threads, when you notify, it can lead to the officer disarming you and running your handgun's serial number to check to see if it's stolen. IMO, that's ridiculous. Not to mention that I don't want to be disarmed by an officer. I don't know what his/her experience is with my firearms and the last thing I want is a ND.
    I dont know of anyone that disarms a legally carrying motorist during a traffic stop. I've heard people on this forum stating thats its happened, but I simply dont know any LEO's that would do this. To me it does not make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedinPA View Post
    I haven't been pulled over in a long, long time. But I always wonder what would be the right thing to do. I assume you don't address that your carrying unless asked to get out of the car (or do you still not say). Do you tell the officer that you are armed? Or is that asking for it? What do ya'll think?
    I believe it depends on the state but I can only tell you for sure that here in NH you don't have to say anything unless the officer asks and or find it. Of course throwing sir at the end of all your statements is good as well to keep everything in a positive light.

Quote Originally Posted by Walden View Post
    Being young, I get pulled over a lot. I have found that, when pulling over, it is best to roll your driver side window down. Get out your drivers license and CHL out once you've come to a stop and hold both hands out of the window.

The officer will take his time (doing whatever it is that takes them so long) and will probably ask you why you have your hands out of the window. Reply by telling the officer that you are a CHL holder and you have a loaded gun in the car. Most cops appreciate the transparency.

I got pulled over twice in one week by state troopers in TX and in AR, and I got two warnings (and one was for going 17 over). I honestly believe my behavior when getting pulled over had something to do with both warnings.
    Being young? LOL Probably had something to do with the 17mph over, but who knows

Yup, we do like the transparency. Hands out the windows may be a little much, but put em on the wheel and I think you'll be fine. It's a nice gesture that helps out either way. Here's what takes so long, just to ease curiosity... When stopping a car, your info is radio'd into dispatch. Your tag gets run through the laptop. It comes up with your vehicle info and registered owner info. Next, the registered owner's info is run. It shows driving record, criminal record, carry permit status etc... It's nice to have an overview. Some smaller departments dont have the capability to do this from the car. Some dont even have computers in the car. All that stuff has to be run through dispatch. It takes a while, especially since there are probably a few other LEO's ahead of you waiting for info. I try to do most of my computer stuff before stopping you (hence the mile and a half of "oh crap, oh crap, oh crap, oh crap" you might feel. Sorry.) Doesnt always work out that way though. It takes time though. Either way, maybe that clears it up a little

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I respect LEO's. They do a crummy job. But I did not know it was my job to put anyone at ease. Maybe LEO's can start putting other people at ease by telling them I pulled you over for xyz, and explain why they are shining their flashlight all over the place. Why they have to ask where I am heading. Asking where I was coming from.

Believe it or not when a LEO stops someone that person (like my son and other folks I know) are not put at ease and the officer does nothing to help an already crappy situation (ie speeding ticket=fine and more insurance)
    It's not. And you dont have to. I was simply stating that historically speaking, things go more quickly and smoothly if you do. You have every right to be a nice guy and go out of your way to put us at ease. You also have the right to be a total jerk, or anyone in between. Who do you think gets less tickets?

Side note: I can absolutely relate to the speeding / insurance cost bar graph. I grew up in NY with a lead foot and fast car. "Flo" from the Progressive ads probably has a beach house in Malibu thanks to me. I think aggressive drivers should pay higher premiums. However, I think the insurance companies use traffic violations as an excuse to jack rates through the roof just because they can. Blood suckers! I've been there too, I promise
    lyz_grace and Walden like this.

VIP Member
    Even when I was an active LEO if I was pulled over for some reason I did the same thing everytime.

Hands on the steering wheel, dome light on, told the officer I was a LEO and was armed and what would he like me to do. In my state there is a duty to inform so I do. Nowadays everything is linked to your DL so they would know anyway.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Good advice here, just as I have seen in other related threads. I have not been pulled over since getting my permit. I keep going back and forth as to whether I will inform the LEO (I have no legal requirement to do so). I guess I'll find out if and when I get pulled over (not for a LONG TIME!).

VIP Member
    Since North Carolina is a must inform state I hand over my license and permit and inform the officer I am armed. Last time I was pulled over I think the trooper was getting off shift and heading home, handed him my DL and permit and informed him I was armed, his only comment was ok. He went back to his car printed out the ticket brought it back and informed me of the court date and time then left.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

The first time I was pulled over while carrying I handed my WCL to the officer along with my DL. The result was her asking if I was carrying and where it was. I told her I had a 9mm concealed on my right hip. She then asked a bunch of questions asking what I needed a gun for, what I was scared of, etc., then stepped back and called for backup. Once backup arrived, he stood at my passenger window, keeping his (rather bright) flashlight on me for the entire time it took the first cop to run my plates, DL#, and whatever else she was looking up. Now, my stance is that I won't inform unless they directly ask me if I have any weapons, I've found that traffic stops go a great deal quicker without informing them.

I got pulled over recently. I turned the engine off, dome light on, my window and the window behind me down (it was dark), hands on the wheel with my documents in hand. I handed him my documents, he asked where I was carrying, and then he thanked me for going out of my way to make his approach easier. No further questions and I got off with a warning.
    Last edited by Mdne04; September 17th, 2012 at 06:53 AM.

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned, but I've heard that turning your car off and then putting your keys on the dashboard is appreciated by most LEOs because it shows that you're not gonna try anything sketchy. I did it once with a burnt headlight and a less than stellar record and the officer let me off with a warning and didn't give me crap. In MI you have to tell them you're armed, but I think that even if I didn't have to, I would. That story about the officer asking why you would need it, what you're afraid of, etc. is ridiculous. Are they the authority when it comes to handing out ccws? I think if I had an experience like that in a state where I didn't have to tell them, I'd also just not say anything after that. Some people need to know their role.
    lyz_grace likes this.

I will only notify LEO when required to do so by law. I see no need to make things more complicated on the off chance I run into an officer who doesn't take it kindly that I am carrying and who may then go off on some power trip because he/she feels I am stepping on his/her civil duty by protecting myself. This is no way a blanket statement meant for all LEOs. I know the vast majority will have no problem with it. Just trying to avoid any sort of treatment I don't want and certainly don't deserve.
    mrjam2jab likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links