Proper etiquette when being pulled over. - Page 3

Proper etiquette when being pulled over.

This is a discussion on Proper etiquette when being pulled over. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by kb2wji It's not. And you dont have to. I was simply stating that historically speaking, things go more quickly and smoothly if ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Proper etiquette when being pulled over.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    It's not. And you dont have to. I was simply stating that historically speaking, things go more quickly and smoothly if you do. You have every right to be a nice guy and go out of your way to put us at ease. You also have the right to be a total jerk, or anyone in between. Who do you think gets less tickets?

Side note: I can absolutely relate to the speeding / insurance cost bar graph. I grew up in NY with a lead foot and fast car. "Flo" from the Progressive ads probably has a beach house in Malibu thanks to me. I think aggressive drivers should pay higher premiums. However, I think the insurance companies use traffic violations as an excuse to jack rates through the roof just because they can. Blood suckers! I've been there too, I promise
    I assume you are a LEO. You can be a nice guy and not be a jerk aor anywhere in between and still not notify that you are carrying if not required. I did not know that to be a nice guy I have to go above and beyond what the law requires of me. Anyway, how do you know if I am carrying or not if I do not tell you?

In Bold: Definitly wrong answer. So, you have two nice guys that are stopped for the same thing. One notifies you they are carrying so you put them in the nice guy category and they get a warning. Then you have the other guy who may or not be carrying (yo don't know because they don't tell you) and they get a ticket?

I think it is the totally wrong answer for a LEO to say that he decides on who gets tickets by how nice they are. Though you guys were suppose to enforce the law. Now I guess you also base it on attitude. And that attitude in your perspective is how much more above the law you want a citizen to do so they are a "nice guy"
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

^ We've gone down this road before. I'm not going to argue semantics. I never said if you are nice, you'll get a ticket. I never said if you are a tool, you'll always get a ticket. As a general rule, what do you think would better serve someone who has been stopped? And THAT was my point. The OP asked about etiquette. I was simply explaining from a LEO standpoint what he/she may do or say.

You say "now I guess you also base it on attitude". Yup. Key word "also". A LEO does not have to write a ticket. He can let you go just as easily. There are several factors that go into play in making the decision. Your driving record, how bad was the offense (doing 12 over, or doing 100mph through a toll booth), and yes, your attitude. I never said its decided simply based on how nice something is. It is a factor though, thats life.

OP, if you have any sort of questions or comments, please dont hesitate to PM me. For now, this thread is starting to take a wrong turn. I'm out.
    lyz_grace and wmhawth like this.

VIP Member
    I see absolutely no benefit to volunteering unnecessary information during an LEO encounter. Once the disco lights go off in my mirror, the fishing trip has begun, and I am the fish. In must-inform states, I inform.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I assume you are a LEO. You can be a nice guy and not be a jerk aor anywhere in between and still not notify that you are carrying if not required. I did not know that to be a nice guy I have to go above and beyond what the law requires of me. Anyway, how do you know if I am carrying or not if I do not tell you?

In Bold: Definitly wrong answer. So, you have two nice guys that are stopped for the same thing. One notifies you they are carrying so you put them in the nice guy category and they get a warning. Then you have the other guy who may or not be carrying (yo don't know because they don't tell you) and they get a ticket?

I think it is the totally wrong answer for a LEO to say that he decides on who gets tickets by how nice they are. Though you guys were suppose to enforce the law. Now I guess you also base it on attitude. And that attitude in your perspective is how much more above the law you want a citizen to do so they are a "nice guy"
    As my LEO associates told me: Attitute is everything.
    Plus, in your example, the "LEO" stopped both drivers for traffic violations, not for haviing a firearm, so the possession is irrelevant.

Then there is the FHP officer who says if he has to stop you, he's writing a tickets. It goes both ways.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Each state is different, you should not carry at all until you know your states laws.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    It will depend on the state law where your at when stopped. If state law requires notification, then by all means notify the officer as soon as he approaches your vehicle. Be careful of what you say though. Don't blurt out "I have a gun!" Instead tell him something like "I have a carry permit and I'm letting you know that I am carrying".

Other than that, when I have been pulled over, I turn on my overhead light (if night time), roll down the drivers window and keep my hands on the steering wheel, in plain sight. I also maintain a civil attitude with the LEO. I'm not going to argue with or antagonize the LEO.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Never, ever argue with a LEO. It can only hurt you.

Similar to Archer I pull the vehicle over as far to the right as I can, leaving room for the officer to come on the passenger side if he so chooses. I roll down both windows, turn the car off, put the keys on the center dash and keep my hands on the steering wheel. That initial impression, I believe, is what determines if you *might* get off with a warning/no ticket vs getting ticketed.

There is no way for an officer to know you are carrying unless your state has tied in CCW permitting/licensing to the DMV records/adds it as an endorsement to your Driver's License. If I am required to notify in the state I am in I would hand the LEO my license and permit and then tell him at the same time that I am currently carrying and where. The LEO would take it from there. Hopefully I don't get stopped by some less than professional LEO who endangers me and himself by insisting that he remove the weapon, chambered round, and magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bstock87 View Post
    In my chl class here in Texas they taught to give them your chl along with your drivers license. I'm not sure if that is the law or just etiquette but when they look you up they can see you are a chl holder and then they would wonder why you didn't tell them. Probably best to let them know ahead of time so they don't have to wonder about anything.
    It is the law here in Texas. If you are carrying and asked for ID by a Peace Officer or Magistrate, you must provide both your ID and your CHL. There is no penalty for not doing so, but the law does state that you must. As you mentioned, the LEO will see that you have a CHL as soon as he runs your DL.

I am curious how you could have managed to complete the CHL course and not know this.

Always best to disclose, particularly if required by law, and especially if asked to exit the vehicle. Keep hands visible at all times, especially if the weapon is on your person or immediate reach. Unless you are in violation of the CC laws in your state, you have nothing to worry about and this will go a long way as a positve with the officer as it shows respect for his or her safety, and yours.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

here's 6 more pages of the same debate; Dont forget to tell...

Each state's going to have different statutory requirements regarding informing a LEO whether you're armed. Some prefer at all times to do whatever helps alleviate the LEO's apprehension about what could occur during the stop, given the hell that happens in such a job. That said ...

Whatever else I do, I try to always avoid everything that could be confused as a BG going for his weapon. Basic prep I have done includes turning the car off, leaving (or turning) the lights on, turning on the interior cabin light (if at night), and keeping my hands in clear view on the steering wheel ... at least until we discuss how to proceed.

As for notifying, during the couple of times I've had contact with LEO's since I have been carrying, I've notified even if it wasn't technically required by law to do so. Based on the initiation of the contact, I figured it was useful for helping to keep apprehension to a minimum.

YMMV, particularly if your area has a history of tense, apprehensive stops, and/or a history of many violent encounters with shoot-em-up villains during traffic stops. The LEO's in your area might well be legitimately apprehensive above and beyond what one would think.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Walden View Post
    Being young, I get pulled over a lot. I have found that, when pulling over, it is best to roll your driver side window down. Get out your drivers license and CHL out once you've come to a stop and hold both hands out of the window.

The officer will take his time (doing whatever it is that takes them so long) and will probably ask you why you have your hands out of the window. Reply by telling the officer that you are a CHL holder and you have a loaded gun in the car. Most cops appreciate the transparency.

I got pulled over twice in one week by state troopers in TX and in AR, and I got two warnings (and one was for going 17 over). I honestly believe my behavior when getting pulled over had something to do with both warnings.
    being young I don't get pulled over. the problem isn't the age but going 17 over the speed limit.

The law in my state does not require me to inform the officer. So I would not inform unless specifically asked, if asked I won't lie because that will bite me in the ass.

In a normal stop I've never been asked, so they don't need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by DocT65 View Post
    Always best to disclose, particularly if required by law, and especially if asked to exit the vehicle. Keep hands visible at all times, especially if the weapon is on your person or immediate reach. Unless you are in violation of the CC laws in your state, you have nothing to worry about and this will go a long way as a positve with the officer as it shows respect for his or her safety, and yours.
    This is very much an opinion, an opinion not shared by all. Stating it like a fact does not change that this is only your opinion.

From my point of view informing does nothing to improve my safety.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Quote Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post
    From my point of view informing does nothing to improve my safety.
    From the perspective of avoiding getting shot and/or receiving an asphalt faceplant, it has its benefits. Besides which, for the duration of the LEO knowing (whether disarming me as a result of knowing, or not), it's highly unlikely I'll be threatened to the point of needing to be armed.

Not to say that I agree with informing always, either. But it does have its place, particularly in jurisdictions where the LEO's are bare-fear MWAG type responders and/or new to the whole citizen carry thang.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links