Proper etiquette when being pulled over. - Page 4

Proper etiquette when being pulled over.

This is a discussion on Proper etiquette when being pulled over. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ccw9mm From the perspective of avoiding getting shot and/or receiving an asphalt faceplant, it has its benefits. Besides which, for the duration ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Proper etiquette when being pulled over.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    From the perspective of avoiding getting shot and/or receiving an asphalt faceplant, it has its benefits. Besides which, for the duration of the LEO knowing (whether disarming me as a result of knowing, or not), it's highly unlikely I'll be threatened to the point of needing to be armed.

Not to say that I agree with informing always, either. But it does have its place, particularly in jurisdictions where the LEO's are bare-fear MWAG type responders and/or new to the whole citizen carry thang.
    Some cops may be angry if you tell them, because then they know you have a gun, even if it's legal. Some may be angry if they find out and you didn't have to tell them, etc.

If you don't legally have to, why would you? Might as well tell every security guard and person you see then too, that's my thinking.

I don't currently carry just to clarify.

I say to respectfully inform makes sense. If I was an LEO and I am not, I would respect someone for doing so. If your license is run and your information shows you have a CCW permit you may be asked and whether required to inform by law or not, the officer may wonder why you did not inform him or her.

Quote Originally Posted by SFCDan View Post
    ...the officer may wonder why you did not inform him or her.
    so what.

Quote Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post
    This is very much an opinion, an opinion not shared by all. Stating it like a fact does not change that this is only your opinion.

From my point of view informing does nothing to improve my safety.

I offer this only as an opinion. In fairness, try to view contact with an armed individual from the shoes of a LEO who has a family they would like to see at the end of their shift. Like I said, if you are not in violation of your CC laws, there should be nothing to hide. Otherwise, maybe you should not be armed.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Must inform:

AK, AR, LA, MI, NC, NE, OH, OK, SC, TX

Quote Originally Posted by SFCDan View Post
    I say to respectfully inform makes sense. If I was an LEO and I am not, I would respect someone for doing so. If your license is run and your information shows you have a CCW permit you may be asked and whether required to inform by law or not, the officer may wonder why you did not inform him or her.
    If the officer knows the law he will already know the answer to that.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by DocT65 View Post
    I offer this only as an opinion. In fairness, try to view contact with an armed individual from the shoes of a LEO who has a family they would like to see at the end of their shift. Like I said, if you are not in violation of your CC laws, there should be nothing to hide. Otherwise, maybe you should not be armed.
    I for one have considered and reconsidered this issue many times and I am not convinced all LEOs would handle the situation well with respect to disarming me if I were to disclose when not required to. Most LEOs are probably safety conscious and would not endanger me but I am not willing to take that chance if I am not required to. Just like the LEO I would like to make it home safely as well (that is, after all, why I carry).

By extending your nothing to hide logic I suppose you do not have any issues with law enforcement eavesdropping on your phone calls or bugging your home? After all, if you have nothing to hide it should not matter, right? Of course it matters. Unless the law requires it a person is under no obligation to disclose that they are armed. You are substituting your belief for the considered deliberations of those who develop state laws as more than opinion by the manner in which you present it.

Quote Originally Posted by CaveJohnson View Post
    If you don't legally have to, why would you?
    As I had said: some find the benefits of conflict avoidance more than merely a question of rights. For such folks, where the benefits are perceived to outweigh any negatives, it might seem worthwhile.

Though, as we get further and further away from the transition to a more-frequently armed citizenry, in most areas of the country it seems those ugly early days are becoming a passing memory. Only occasionally are ugly contacts reported that were precipitated by mere notification and a bad-tempered LEO taking the "fearful MWAG" approach.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    As I had said: some find the benefits of conflict avoidance more than merely a question of rights. For such folks, where the benefits are perceived to outweigh any negatives, it might seem worthwhile.

Though, as we get further and further away from the transition to a more-frequently armed citizenry, in most areas of the country it seems those ugly early days are becoming a passing memory. Only occasionally are ugly contacts reported that were precipitated by mere notification and a bad-tempered LEO taking the "fearful MWAG" approach.
    Yeah I just feel like telling a cop who doesn't ask can set off alarms with someone who's jumpy. Level headed folks would go "Oh, thanks" or maybe remove it from you, but some may FLIP out that you so much as have a gun on you.

Just dont ask him to hold your beer while you get your wallet
    mlr1m and msgt/ret like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paullie View Post
    Just dont ask him to hold your beer while you get your wallet
    And be sure to take the cigarette out of your mouth before telling him to...
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I assume you are a LEO. You can be a nice guy and not be a jerk aor anywhere in between and still not notify that you are carrying if not required. I did not know that to be a nice guy I have to go above and beyond what the law requires of me. Anyway, how do you know if I am carrying or not if I do not tell you?

In Bold: Definitly wrong answer. So, you have two nice guys that are stopped for the same thing. One notifies you they are carrying so you put them in the nice guy category and they get a warning. Then you have the other guy who may or not be carrying (yo don't know because they don't tell you) and they get a ticket?

I think it is the totally wrong answer for a LEO to say that he decides on who gets tickets by how nice they are. Though you guys were suppose to enforce the law. Now I guess you also base it on attitude. And that attitude in your perspective is how much more above the law you want a citizen to do so they are a "nice guy"
    I'm curious SunTzu, you say that attitude shouldn't play a role because we're just supposed to enforce the laws as written. That leaves absolutely no room for Officer discretion. If I'm just supposed to enforce the law, I'd have to give EVERYONE I stop for any violation a citation. Does anyone REALLY want that? I know I don't want to do that. If you support the use of discretion in the process, what do you think the factors should be?
    kb2wji likes this.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    Being young? LOL Probably had something to do with the 17mph over, but who knows

Yup, we do like the transparency. Hands out the windows may be a little much, but put em on the wheel and I think you'll be fine. It's a nice gesture that helps out either way. Here's what takes so long, just to ease curiosity... When stopping a car, your info is radio'd into dispatch. Your tag gets run through the laptop. It comes up with your vehicle info and registered owner info. Next, the registered owner's info is run. It shows driving record, criminal record, carry permit status etc... It's nice to have an overview. Some smaller departments dont have the capability to do this from the car. Some dont even have computers in the car. All that stuff has to be run through dispatch. It takes a while, especially since there are probably a few other LEO's ahead of you waiting for info. I try to do most of my computer stuff before stopping you (hence the mile and a half of "oh crap, oh crap, oh crap, oh crap" you might feel. Sorry.) Doesnt always work out that way though. It takes time though. Either way, maybe that clears it up a little
    Haha, I have a tendency to inadvertently exceed the limit. I want to make it clear that I respect LEOs and what they do for their communities. My "waiting in the car forever" comment was just a poor attempt at humor.

Why do you need to see proof of insurance in a traffic stop? Does that not come up when you run the plates through the computer?
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    I've always thought this said it pretty well:

I don't like the way the officer states that in AZ you are required to tell the officer you are carrying if you are having business contact with him.
    The law in AZ states that you have to answer truthfully if asked by the officer. I'm not sure how old the video is or the law here is, so maybe it has changed since the video was made.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Walden View Post
    Why do you need to see proof of insurance in a traffic stop? Does that not come up when you run the plates through the computer?
    This is Alabama Law:
    Evidence of Insurance Required In Vehicle When Operating a Vehicle and Acceptable Proof of Insurance Documentation:

Anyone driving a motor vehicle that is subject to the MLI provisions must carry evidence of insurance within the vehicle during operation. The proof documentation must be legible and sufficient to demonstrate that the vehicle is currently covered by a MLI policy. Acceptable proof documentation includes:

 An insurance card or temporary insurance card issued by the insurer or an authorized representative;

 Proof of purchase of a motor vehicle within 20 calendar days AND a current and valid insurance card issued for the motor vehicle being replaced;

 The current declarations page of a liability insurance policy;

 A liability insurance binder or certificate of liability insurance. Legible copies of these documents are also acceptable; or

 A current motor vehicle rental agreement for the vehicle which specifies that the rental company or the operator has the required insurance
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links