Proper etiquette when being pulled over. - Page 5

Proper etiquette when being pulled over.

This is a discussion on Proper etiquette when being pulled over. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by sigmanluke I'm curious SunTzu, you say that attitude shouldn't play a role because we're just supposed to enforce the laws as written. ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Proper etiquette when being pulled over.

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    I'm curious SunTzu, you say that attitude shouldn't play a role because we're just supposed to enforce the laws as written. That leaves absolutely no room for Officer discretion. If I'm just supposed to enforce the law, I'd have to give EVERYONE I stop for any violation a citation. Does anyone REALLY want that? I know I don't want to do that. If you support the use of discretion in the process, what do you think the factors should be?
    I was using a specific example of where one guy has notifies an officer about carrying and another doesn't. That was in reply to a LEO's post that indicated he would look favorably upon a person notifying him.

Of course a LEO should have discretion about giving someone a ticket but that discretion should be about the circumstances behind the stop. Notifying a LEO about carrying is not required and does not merit brownie points.

Example: A guy runs a red light. He tells the officer yes, he did but he felt it was safer than slamming on his brakes because a guy was tailgating him. LEO can decide if the guy is telling the truth or not and issue a warning or ticket based on the circumstances. It should have ZERO to do if the LEO likes the guys attitude. Maybe I got stopped and was coming back from the vet because I had to put my dog down. Was getting a divorce, found out the wife was cheating on me.

What does my bad mood have to do with anything about the stop unless I am being arrogant or rude to the officer?

Of course use your judgement.

And for some reason folks here still think that if one chooses to not notify that somehow they are being rude to the LEO. Bull crap. I am just as courteous to a LEO whether I am required to notify or not.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by purdhart View Post
    I don't like the way the officer states that in AZ you are required to tell the officer you are carrying if you are having business contact with him.
    The law in AZ states that you have to answer truthfully if asked by the officer. I'm not sure how old the video is or the law here is, so maybe it has changed since the video was made.
    He is not completely correct about Texas. If you are carrying, AND you have a CHL, you are required to show him your CHL and ID when he asks for ID. If he then asks you if you are carrying, you should tell him. You are not required to do so unless asked. If you do not have a CHL you are not required to tell him about your weapon unless he asks if you have one.

VIP Member
    SunTzu, I understand, I guess the way I read your previous post, it looked like you were saying to just enforce the laws, nothing more or less.

I do appreciate it when I'm informed by someone who's carrying if I stop them, but it is not required in Utah and don't hold it against them if they don't disclose. I (almost) always ask if someone is carrying if I learn that they have a permit. If they say yes, my usual response is, "that's good". If their answer is no, I usually ask, "why not?"
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

They will be going to jail no matter what bs excuse they tell you
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    If their answer is no.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    sigmanluke likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I'm sure I could find an exception but I'm inclined to inform regardless of state law. Level playing field, full disclosure, etc. if I were a cop, I'd rather know. To each his own.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    ... I were a cop, I'd rather know.
    of course a cop would want to know. the debate here is whether or not a person cares what the LEO wants to know beyond the nature of the stop. my barber probably also wants to know if I have a gun. I'm not telling him either.
    tricolordad likes this.

Distinguished Member
    The debate is about proper etiquette, or it began that way. It's not about your barber or mine. But you've expressed your opinion and that's cool too. Long ago it was determined that we tip our hat to a lady. This one is not so clear. Or maybe it is. You carry yourself as you determine to be appropriate.
    Savage Heartland

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    The debate is about proper etiquette, or it began that way. It's not about your barber or mine. But you've expressed your opinion and that's cool too. Long ago it was determined that we tip our hat to a lady. This one is not so clear. Or maybe it is. You carry yourself as you determine to be appropriate.
    the title of the thread mentions etiquette. but the text of the OP directly asks about duty to inform.

I have no idea what tipping hat to a lady has to do with the thread though. If it means that somehow informing shows respect or something to a LEO then I'll just add my voice to the side that disagrees.

Distinguished Member
    Fair enough. Now....back to the popcorn.
    Savage Heartland

That video on the last page is well done, I'd say handing over your license (if you have or even need one where you live) is a smart move. If the cop then says "Are you carrying now?" answer honestly and proceed as such.

Saying "Hey man, I've got a gun!" as he comes up is a really stupid thing to do obviously

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    Why is that? I don't understand your response.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I hand over my CHL with my DL and auto insurance card - which I keep all together in my wallet for easy retrieval. I keep my CHL directly behind my DL and backwards, so that it doesn't show if I have to show ID for other reasons. A "change" that I have made since I started carrying is that I got a visor organizer for my truck where I keep my vehicle papers so that I can get to them without having to move around extra or go digging in the glove box.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Sponsored Links