Proper etiquette when being pulled over.

This is a discussion on Proper etiquette when being pulled over. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I haven't been pulled over in a long, long time. But I always wonder what would be the right thing to do. I assume you ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Proper etiquette when being pulled over.

Proper etiquette when being pulled over.

I haven't been pulled over in a long, long time. But I always wonder what would be the right thing to do. I assume you don't address that your carrying unless asked to get out of the car (or do you still not say). Do you tell the officer that you are armed? Or is that asking for it? What do ya'll think?
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

"Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you"
    "CAPITALISM IS BOSS"  Andrew Wilkow

2. Remove Ads

In my chl class here in Texas they taught to give them your chl along with your drivers license. I'm not sure if that is the law or just etiquette but when they look you up they can see you are a chl holder and then they would wonder why you didn't tell them. Probably best to let them know ahead of time so they don't have to wonder about anything.

In some states you are required to notify the police officer as soon as you are pulled over. In Georgia we aren't required to notify, but I hand the officer my CWL with my license anyway just so they're aware and to avoid complications. There are different opinions on this, though, as I'm sure will be posted after me :)

I got nailed last night. Handed my permit and license to the officer. He glanced at the permit, handed it back and said "I won't need that."

And that was that.

If your state doesn't require it, then it's up to you. I've been pulled over twice for speeding (45 in 35 and 50 in 40) and haven't notified either time. I turned on my inside lights and was polite to the officer. I was also honest about why I was speeding. I simply wasn't paying attention to the speed limit. I was let off both times with a warning.

A Pistol Permit doesn't automatically make you a good guy in the officer's eyes.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

I was recently in an auto accident. Trooper arrived and I advised him that I was carrying and had a permit. He said "OK" and nothing further came of it.

different requirements in every state and often a pretty heated topic as whether or not to inform if not required. in some states the LEO will know as soon as he runs your plate. in others, he'll know as soon as he runs your DL. and in others he'll only know if he directly accesses a permit specific database. my crappy CCDW course in Kentucky never even brought it up. it's not required here though and I didn't say a word about it when I got pulled over a few weeks ago. neither did the LEO.

if you're going to inform though, make sure your hands are on the wheel and that they stay there until he tells you how to proceed.

Senior Moderator
    Even though Alabama doesn't require you to notify the officer, I would and have the one time I was pulled over.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

I would only notify if required by law
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I am not telling them I have a gun unless required by law.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

I got pulled over for a bunk brake light on the way home. I handed driver's license and permit to officer, he asked if I was carrying, I told him one on my hip and one in my pocket...his comment was "that's great. It annoys me when someone hands me a permit and isn't carrying a firearm"...no ticket in the end!

sent via iCarry
    babarock likes this.

I ride a motorcycle in Milwaukee at night. I get pulled over often. Wisconsin law says only if they ask. However many of these LEO had a lot of attitude. First of all they are stopping you for no real reason they make that up latter if need be.
    So I tell them right away.
    Sometimes you run in to the rare LEO that is what we would expect them all to be. August 30 I hit a Deer on my Harley at 60 MPH. Laying in a ditch with EMT and LEO over me I ask the office to secure my weapon and turn it over to my wife or daughter. They were on site as I was only a mile form home. He did just that with out delay. Many would have taken it and kept making you file for a court order to return it.
    I will add the EMT's were great they did not care on bit about the weapon.

i will tell the officer because i do not know how he will react if he sees it and i didn't inform him.

To the folks who inform, even if the law doesnt require it: Thanks! It puts us at ease. Plus, the vast majority of us are very pro 2a. Not saying it'll get you out of a ticket, but we're now off to a good start.

I may be a bad example as far as traffic violations though. I write maybe 5-ish tickets / month for traffic violations. If theres no dope or illegal guns in the car, and your DL is valid, you are probably good to go.

A carry permit does not automatically make you a good guy. I can name several people off the top of my head that I deal with in the hood who have carry permits. The folks in question all have drug convictions. I cant understand why the state hasnt yanked that permit yet. So no, a permit does not automatically tell me you are a law abiding citizen. If you are, awesome. I love law abiding folks who carry.

Back on topic:

If you are pulled over, I appreciate hands where I can see them (not plastered against the roof like you are afraid of getting shot, thats just weird for everyone)...maybe just on the wheel, that'd be fine. You know i'll need ID / DL and insurance card. Please have them relatively handy. If you have to dig around for your insurance card for 10 minutes, its pretty annoying. Thats about it.

I'll say this. I've never written a ticket to the guy that says "yeah, sorry I missed that red light...thought I could make it". If he's honest, and all the paperwork is in order, good to go! If the light was red for 5 seconds before you even got near the intersection, and say "nah, it was yellow", you probably bought a ticket.

I guess just being polite and putting us at ease (as much as possible anyway), helps your cause. Hands on the wheel. Documents handy. Smile, and admit it if ya did it. I dont know about the other guys, but I probably wont give you a driving award.

edit: Oh yeah, and if your windows are tinted, please put them all down. Otherwise you may be called out to do the walk of shame back to my car. I'm not walking up to a car that I cant easily see into.
    lyz_grace, msgt/ret and GH like this.

VIP Member
    I do as the law requires, no more, no less.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links