Concealed Carry during robbery at gunpoint

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry during robbery at gunpoint within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by nemensis1248 Hey Guys, I wanted to ask about a specific scenario that I thought about during concealed carry. Let's say an armed ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Concealed Carry during robbery at gunpoint

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nemensis1248 View Post
    Hey Guys,

I wanted to ask about a specific scenario that I thought about during concealed carry. Let's say an armed would-be mugger sneaks up behind you or surprises you and points a gun at you before you can react and then demands your wallet, cell phone, etc. Let's say you had a concealed firearm on you, is there any way you could possibly use that firearm or is it simply out of the question? Is it best to give in to the mugger's demands?

Thanks for your response.
    It depends.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine181 View Post
    There we go! Now I just need to find a good job in Texas... energy trading??? hmmmmmm.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread. I have no idea what I would do in this situation. If I thought that I had a chance to draw and kill the guy, I would, but it's gonna depend on the situation and all of these situations are gonna play out differently.
    I think Skilling and Fastow tried that once (speaking of hijacking and robbery) in Texas, didn't work out so well for them.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm 60 years old and no Matt Dillon; he gets my cash.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

How can we have this discussion without bringing up this classic?

Perhaps distracting the BG by tossing your valuables to him, especially to the side opposite your gun, will give you opportunity to draw.
    TVille likes this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

^that's great ha

A no-win situation as you pose it. Give the creep the money. Your window to reasonably take him out does not exist.
    3wggl likes this.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

VIP Member
    In the words of Clint Eastwood: "Do you feel lucky...well do you??!!"

Each situation is going to be different. Is it possible, yes. Especially using a drop wallet to distract. Is it a good tactic to try, only as a last resort, IMO.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

It's always exciting in the movies. But they aren't actually in danger of losing their life. I don't recommend using movie clips as training devices.

Many years ago I found myself staring down two very large caliber weapons on a badly lit residential street. I wasn't carrying a gun. Pray you never find yourself in this situation. And until you do, you do not know how you will react. Everything you do at this point will determine if you live or die.

I gave them everything they asked for. Then the oldest one pulled the hammer back and told me I had to die so I couldn't be a witness. The younger one, who appeared to be a minor, had a terrified look on his face so I began to plead with him for my life. I kept telling him that I was no threat to him and that he didn't want to commit murder for no reason, that he already had what he wanted.

In his moment of fear he took my side and told his partner that they didn't need to kill me. An argument ensued between them about the importance of leaving no witnesses behind. Both guns were mere inches from my face during all of this. Fingers on the triggers and one of them with the hammer cocked back.

The older BG became very angry with me for engaging his partner as I had. He pressed his gun against my forehead and told me I was going to die as he cussed me. I closed my eyes because I knew I was about to die. Then in a lowered trembling voice the younger BG actually pleaded with his partner to let me live. He relented and the gun dropped away from my head.

I don't believe having a gun and pulling it while I was staring down the barrels would have saved my life that night. But I swore I would never be caught like that again. I have sinced learned that had I been armed and aware of the situation as it was unfolding, I could have taken them out before it was too late.

I consider myself having been very lucky that night. All I wanted was my life. I was willing to do anything to preserve it. Both guns were loaded. The older guy went to prison and the younger guy was given leniency because he pleaded for my life and because I asked the judge to consider it. (Yes they were caught, but that's another story.)

If you are going to carry a gun you need to train and then train some more. You need to know how to use a gun if you're going to carry one, but you need to also train yourself mentally. And don't fool yourself into thinking that because you carry a gun you can shoot yourself out of every situation.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

Post # 23 describes the dilemma...you can give them what they want, and still end up dead.

Personally, I will do everything in my power not to give that choice to them. Action beats reaction, and there are advantages to having a smaller gun in your pocket rather than a larger one on your hip.

I'm going to leave it at that...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by nemensis1248 View Post
    Let's say you had a concealed firearm on you, is there any way you could possibly use that firearm or is it simply out of the question? Is it best to give in to the mugger's demands?
    Depends on much. Every situation's different.

Think very hard about what you are and are not capable of doing, given the specific details of the given situation. Do you have decent close-quarters H2H skills? Is the mugger's weapon extended out to you, where you'd reasonably easily be able to take control of the situation and weapon? Is the assailant outside contact distance, such that any resistance would entirely be tantamount to suicide? Is the assailant obviously and undeniably making the change from "merely wanting your belongings" to "clearly wanting everything you've got" ... and are you prepared to do something about that?

In a situation involving a single assailant and multiple victims (ie, mugging of a group of individuals), it's entirely possible for one armed person to draw and fire in such a way as to be undetected during the draw. In a situation involving the assailant's attention being broken for a time (ie, digging into the cash register to empty it, during a robbery), it's entirely possible to take advantage of that time to turn the tables. And in a situation involving the weapon/assailant being in your face, it's entirely possible to take control of the gun/assailant, to turn the tables. In any case, you've got to be quick enough and effective enough at turning the tables, else it's entirely likely to get you killed.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Where is "Gloves" when you need him? (I sure miss him!)

Come on all you anti OCers out there. This is the kind of scenario you guys live for! You would get to test the mythical "element of surprise" tactic that some many instructors teach.

Seriously- It Depends- mainly on the BGs demeanor. (just because you cooperate, it doesn't mean you'll get out the situation alive & well.)

What if he searches you and finds your gun- Are you going to give him that too?

--------------------------------------------

Yes you can draw against the drop and WIN! (Guantes wrote a pretty good article on "Drawing against the drop". But, I can't seem to find a link to it right now.) Maybe someone else can find that thread.

You can also disarm an individual fairly easy; even with limited hth skill.

The point is know your limitations, train for various scenarios & practice what you learn with a sparring partner.

-

All bravado aside, I carry so as not to be a victim. I carry SOB IWB wallet is in right hip pocket. I have been practicing the " OK man take it easy let me get my wallet out.." while drawing my gun and taking a small step forward with my left foot. I have been practicing some of the movements while firing at the range. I feel I have at least a 50-50 chance of coming out breathing and vertical. What I don`t want is for my weapon to be stolen or used against me. Thats the juxtapostiion of being armed.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

If he is armed you can shoot him in CA IF you fear for your life great bodily injury etc. Property I would argue is secondary, someone has a knife gun or deadly weapon I am in fear for my life.

Now whethere you CAN physically and successfully outdraw a drawn weapon is very personal.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    How can we have this discussion without bringing up this classic?
    What is that from?

Back on topic, I've heard of people keeping a 'money clip' with a couple bucks in it to toss on the ground to the assailant's side. Since it's what they 'want' and it's moving, it naturally draws the eye long enough to draw a weapon from concealment.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Post # 23 describes the dilemma...you can give them what they want, and still end up dead.

Personally, I will do everything in my power not to give that choice to them. Action beats reaction, and there are advantages to having a smaller gun in your pocket rather than a larger one on your hip.

I'm going to leave it at that...
    When a gun is in your face, the "action" has already taken place. Are the odds of reaction (drawing) any better than compliance?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links