Concealed Carry during robbery at gunpoint

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry during robbery at gunpoint within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey Guys, I wanted to ask about a specific scenario that I thought about during concealed carry. Let's say an armed would-be mugger sneaks up ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Concealed Carry during robbery at gunpoint

Hey Guys,

I wanted to ask about a specific scenario that I thought about during concealed carry. Let's say an armed would-be mugger sneaks up behind you or surprises you and points a gun at you before you can react and then demands your wallet, cell phone, etc. Let's say you had a concealed firearm on you, is there any way you could possibly use that firearm or is it simply out of the question? Is it best to give in to the mugger's demands?

Thanks for your response.

give him everything he asks for. cash and things can be replaced. he just might be happy enough to let his guard down.
    Bad Bob, mano3 and Secret Spuk like this.
    Colt Commander LW. I think shooting twice is just plain silly.

Realistically, do you think you're going to outdraw/shoot someone that already has their gun on you?

Legally, in the state of Texas, if someone takes my property I can use force, and deadly force, to stop them, so even if they aren't a direct threat to me and are running, as per the law, it's still a good shoot. Morally? That's left to you. (Though, Texas is the only state allowing deadly force to protect property... so you're kinda screwed in CA)

Sure, items can be replaced (but that's not really the point). Just because you comply with their demands doesn't mean they'll leave you unharmed... too many times someone completely complies with a BGs demands and the BG still kills them.

The choice is yours as to if and/or when you'll do what you do, be it fight back while hoping for the best, or comply while hoping for the best.

I need to move to Texas... what city has the most sexy southern chicks?

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine181 View Post
    I need to move to Texas... what city has the most sexy southern chicks?
    College Station. Texas A&M brings them all together in one place! :D
    BlueHawk76 likes this.

There we go! Now I just need to find a good job in Texas... energy trading??? hmmmmmm.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread. I have no idea what I would do in this situation. If I thought that I had a chance to draw and kill the guy, I would, but it's gonna depend on the situation and all of these situations are gonna play out differently.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Unlikely for him to get the drop on us but I would give up the money.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nemensis1248 View Post
    Hey Guys,

I wanted to ask about a specific scenario that I thought about during concealed carry. Let's say an armed would-be mugger sneaks up behind you or surprises you and points a gun at you before you can react and then demands your wallet, cell phone, etc. Let's say you had a concealed firearm on you, is there any way you could possibly use that firearm or is it simply out of the question? Is it best to give in to the mugger's demands?

The answer to your question is YES, you could and can use yours or his gun in certain situation as each situation is different. But the next question to ask, are you trained and have you practiced what is needed to perform that which is needed to survive? There is ways to take his gun away from him and there are ways to attack to shoot someone with your gun on a drawn gun. But just having a gun and standing there and out drawing a already drawn gun is not one of them.

So for someone just getting started in CCing I suggest giving him your money or what ever he ask for and hope he lets you live. This is the reason I see training beyond what is needed to get your CCW permit to be so important. In getting the permit and gun you have just started in defending yourself.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

GH
    If he has the drop on you don't even think of drawing on him. That's where situational awareness comes into play. Always watch your back & be aware of your surroundings. That being said it can still happen to the best of us. Then you just give up your money.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    This happened to Sid1, one of our members. Nothing he could do. Better to give it up and fight another day.
    sid1 likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

It isn't impossible, but it depends on the situation.

Professional training is in order to combat these scenarios. However, one may do everything right and still end up dead.

Check out this informative thread by Guantes: Drawing Against The Drop (DATD)

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

People can say what they want about .25s - one possibly saved my life.

I was downtown (in Pittsburgh, not here at the beach) late one night with my at the time girlfriend. We were leaving a ballet show and on our way back to the car three guys came up on us in the parking garage and one pulled a gun and demanded her purse and my money/wallet. I had a .25 in my right pocket and under the guise of getting my cash, fired from my pocket. That was a VERY long night..

I know this isn't about caliber choice but I didn't feel I would of had time to draw down and get a shot off without being shot myself and I wasn't about to sit there and be a victim or let anybody harm Me or the girl I loved.

Sent from my palm device
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by nemensis1248 View Post
    Hey Guys,

...and you think you're going to find a one-size-fits-all answer?

I'm not giving anyone my wallet. What's in it is worth my life. No, you may not have it. So...if I can grapel him, if I can disarm or distract him, if I can draw on him, that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to fight however I can.

No spell-checker with Tapatalk, sorry.

I was in Cinci on business & got back to the hotel around midnight. As I got out of my rental in the parking garage, a "rasta" tried to rob me with a knife. He held the knife 12-14" from me & waved it to threaten me. I won't bore you with a "blow-by-blow", but my training kicked in & he had a really bad night...getting arrested in the ambulance and all.

My answer to the OP is: It depends. If he would have had a gun & it was touching me, I'd have given him my wallet & anything else he wanted. I can always earn more money.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Do what gets you home safe.
    But a little mis direction and distraction goes a long way whether you are armed or not. A little eye movement can convince someone that there is someone sneaking up behind them for instance.
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links