Gun Buster Signs - Question and Confirmation - Texas CHL

This is a discussion on Gun Buster Signs - Question and Confirmation - Texas CHL within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If someone can please help me out here. Looking for confirmation on the gun buster sign 30.06 for the state of Texas CHL laws. The ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Gun Buster Signs - Question and Confirmation - Texas CHL

If someone can please help me out here. Looking for confirmation on the gun buster sign 30.06 for the state of Texas CHL laws. The 30.06 sign is the sign that does not allow conceal carry on the premises. It is my understanding that this sign is to be placed at ALL entrances to an establishment. On Saturday, I went to pick up my wife at the YMCA after her workout (she is a personal trainer). I went in the YMCA through the secondary entrance at the back of the building and I was not carrying at the time. There were no signs at this entrance of any kind. Since I got my CHL, I always look for the signs whenever I enter an establishment whether I am carrying or not. Went to the workout room while she finished up a training session with one of her clients. When leaving we walked out the front door and I noticed the 30.06 sign at the main entrance. I made a mental note not to carry at the YMCA, but after thinking about it, the 30.06 sign needs to be posted at all entrances. While my wife was talking to someone outside the YMCA, I went back into the building and looked at all the entrances to the building (there are 3). The 30.06 sign was only at the main entrance. I am correct tthat the sign needs to be at all entrances? Please confirm my thoughts. Tried to look it up, but could not find my notes from my CHL class.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

The sign needs to be at all entrances. Also make sure it's complaint with the 1 inch high letters and in English and Spanish. It also has to say 30.06 and the statue written underneath it. If it doesn't meet these standards it is not a complaint sign and you can still carry. For more information I'd go to the Texas DPS website.

Quote Originally Posted by remington79 View Post
    The sign needs to be at all entrances. Also make sure it's complaint with the 1 inch high letters and in English and Spanish. It also has to say 30.06 and the statue written underneath it. If it doesn't meet these standards it is not a complaint sign and you can still carry. For more information I'd go to the Texas DPS website.
    It was the "compliant sign", but since it was not on all the entrances, I knew I could still carry on their premises. I just wanted some confirmaiton. Thanks
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

You weren't carrying because....
    rigel42 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    It was the "compliant sign", but since it was not on all the entrances, I knew I could still carry on their premises. I just wanted some confirmaiton. Thanks
    Stay away from the front door. If you carry past a valid 30.06 sign, regardless if it's posted on some other entrance, then you are in violation. If you only use the back door, then you don't know what is or is not posted on the front door, right? You would logically assume that if the back door is not posted, the front door would not be either. But be observant. I have seen the back door of a business posted, but not the front.

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    ^^^^^^ What he said. ^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by remington79 View Post
    You would think that they would have to be posted at every entrance, but that is not what the law states. The law only requires that the sign "is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public."

I thought they were "supposed" to be posted at all entrances. But, if they are not, I don't see how they can charge you with trespassing .. they should have to tell you, then they could charge you with trespassing if you didn't comply. The danger, of course, is that's the kind of charge that could help you to lose your license.

You were notified, by seeing the legally placed compliant sign. That's all that matters now. If you enter a facility through an entrance not marked and not aware of another entrance with a sign, you may have a defense. However, if you park in front of an entrance that's clearly marked, but walk around to one that's not, you are in violation.

The law states that you be notified by a clearly visible compliant 30.06 sign or a 51% sign. Unless its changed in the last year or so, there's nothing that says it has to be posted at every entrance.

Tread lightly, I don't advise breaking the law, but concealed does mean concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    I wasn't carrying because I just went on a 5 mile run prior to picking her up. I carry a full size XD so it is not practical to carry it while I run. My wife is very anti gun and doesn't like it when I carry, so convincing her to get a pocket pistol for these occasions is an uphill battle. Also, I am also trying to convince her I need a defensive carbine, so I have to tread lightly on my wish list. For those of you saying "man up", my wife and I made a deal with her 17yrs ago when we were married, she would handle the finances and I would handle everything else so I have to honor that there are other things we need prior to another gun purchase.
    joker1 and BenGoodLuck like this.

I feel for you. When I first decided to get my permit my wife was hesitant. She wasn't necessarily ant-gun but she was afraid I'd have to buy more guns, holsters, etc. When I finally drug that out of her I reassured her that I was planning on making something I had work until we could afford something else. Started carrying a Colt 1903 in a cheap Uncle Mike's IWB nylon bag. Eventually I saved up enough to get a GLOCK 19 and a CBST. Now I carry everywhere it is legal for me to do so and I don't jog so I don't have that issue.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

There is a lot of knowledge about Texas laws including input from instructors at TexasCHLforum.com • Index page

Quote Originally Posted by odysseus View Post
    I thought they were "supposed" to be posted at all entrances. But, if they are not, I don't see how they can charge you with trespassing .. they should have to tell you, then they could charge you with trespassing if you didn't comply. The danger, of course, is that's the kind of charge that could help you to lose your license.
    There is no requirement to be displayed at all entrances

PC 30.06. TRESPASS BY HOLDER OF LICENSE TO CARRY CONCEALED HANDGUN

B) a sign posted on the property that:
    (i) includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;
    (ii) appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and
    (iii) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    I wasn't carrying because I just went on a 5 mile run prior to picking her up. I carry a full size XD so it is not practical to carry it while I run.
    I'd recommend a belly band. I work out every day including jogging/treadmill, and the belly band keeps my Glock 30 secure. For extra security, I wrap a belt around the belly band. The belt helps keep the belly band from sagging.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Texas is not clear that all signs must be posted on all entrances. The statute clearly states "A" sign posted on the property, not "signs" posted on the property.

However, most importantly which JJVP left off of his post is that a violation of this statute isn't simple trespass, it is a CLASS A MISDEMEANOR which will get your license revoked and make you inelligible to get a permit for 5 years.

Since you are now aware of the posting this is relevant, and you are now guilty of violating the 30.06 statute in the future if you are carrying a gun.

2) received notice that:(A) entry on the property by a license holder with a concealed handgun was forbidden; or(B) remaining on the property with a concealed handgun was forbidden and failed to depart.
    You said you didn't have it in your notes. Did you CHL instructor not give you a booklet with all the statutes in it? If not, go download yourself one here and refresh yourself often on the statutes.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/interne...rms/chl-16.pdf
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    ^^^ That--you know the place is posted. Nothing says it has to even be at the entrance. By "displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public" that could also be interpreted by judge and jury to be conspicuously displayed on the wall at the check-in counter, etc., much like business licenses/permits are displayed.

In a state where No Gun signs carry legal weight, I wouldn't tempt one over some small technically as sometimes the "intent" of the law carries weight also.
    bombthrower77 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links