Moving up from my little Sig238.....

This is a discussion on Moving up from my little Sig238..... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well my husband and I have been talking about for a little while now me moving up from my little Sig.. I figured it was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Moving up from my little Sig238.....

Well my husband and I have been talking about for a little while now me moving up from my little Sig.. I figured it was about time I get comfortable with something else.... Don't get me wrong, I love my 238, but I would absolutley LOVE to try something new!!! My husband on the other hand can carry just about anything and be completly comfortable with it... I have a lot of issues with being comfortable with carrying due to my small frame and clothing... I like the paddle holsters and haven't had to much experince with others...
    What would be the best way to move up as far as gun and holster??? I am looking for helpful hints and advice on this issue...
    "The Lord is on my side; I will not fear"
    " The Lord is my Light and my salvation

VIP Member
    Are you looking at moving up in caliber, gun size or both? Since your carrying a sub compact now, my suggestion would be to move up to maybe a compact. Something like the M&P9c might be a logical progression. You could stay with a paddle holster, which would not require a wardrobe change, or you could switch to IWB carry. You might also want to "borrow" one of tacman's smaller guns to try out. He'll never miss it! LOL
    tacmansgirl likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

If you are wanting to stay with an auto I'd suggest maybe the M&P Sheild in a crossbreed IWB holster. If you're open to a revolver, I'd suggest a S&W 638, 642 or 442. The LCR would be worth checking out as well. I'd probably suggest the Shield over the revolver for sheer use of firepowe and faster reloads in a pinch.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

LOL... I have been thinking about staying OSW, I have been trying out his Glock!!!! SHHHHH, Don't tell.. HEHE.... I have a Kimber, but it is too big for me to carry at all times... I like the Glock only I have a problem with my handle zone... I have small hands.. I have shot it several times, and for some reason, it always makes my hands shake...

why not try a Sig 938? 9mm ... same feel of the 238 ... only 1/2" or so longer barrel.

my wife and I both added a 938 to our arsenal.

sent from ...

Hunny Bunny is going to be mad. But for the way you dress I think this gun would work. Look at the specs, its not even an inch wide....

BP Concealed Carry
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

LOL.... Thanks T!!!! I will take a peek at that sight:)

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Hunny Bunny is going to be mad. But for the way you dress I think this gun would work. Look at the specs, its not even an inch wide....

BP Concealed Carry

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    The Springfield XDs 45 is a great candidate. I'm thinking trading my P238 up for the XDs. It comes with a paddle holster and double mag carrier.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    The Springfield XDs 45 is a great candidate. I'm thinking trading my P238 up for the XDs. It comes with a paddle holster and double mag carrier.
    I've been looking at those! I kind of cringe thinking about shooting a .45 out of something that small, though

OP - let us know if you make a decision, I'm looking to move up, too, now that winter clothes are coming around, my only carry gun is still my LCP. Good luck with your search!

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lyz_grace View Post
    I've been looking at those! I kind of cringe thinking about shooting a .45 out of something that small, though

OP - let us know if you make a decision, I'm looking to move up, too, now that winter clothes are coming around, my only carry gun is still my LCP. Good luck with your search!
    Recoil not too bad. I love it
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

You might want to consider this as a holster since it would open up some larger calibers and gun size for CC.

Kangaroo Carry

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

Quote Originally Posted by Glhadiator View Post
    You might want to consider this as a holster since it would open up some larger calibers and gun size for CC.

Kangaroo Carry
    I ordered one of these and quickly sent it back. Even with the LCP, which is about as small as you're gonna get, I could not for the life of me find any way to wear it without the gun either poking me in the chest, side, or stomach, OR printing very awkwardly through my shirt. I'm not as top-heavy as those characters on the Kangaroo Carry site, but I've got enough of a "shelf" that I thought I'd be okay. There was just no way around it. Maybe if you've got a longer waist and wear looser clothes? Not saying it's a bad product, but I couldn't see any possible way to make it work for me.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    If you can rent guns at your range try a Kahr K9 or a MK9. A Kahr is kinda like what a single stack 9mm Glock would be like (if Glock made a single stack 9mm).

The "K" designation means the pistol is all steel. Kahr also makes a polymer framed line with a "P" designation. I have found the steel Kahrs very concealable & very reliable. I have no experience with Kahr polymer guns.

Holsters are a tough call I always end up with 3 or more per gun, and still shop for more.

Good Luck with your quest.

With holsters, there is just no telling without trying them yourself. Too many variations in body shape, tolerance for discomfort, concealment needs, style of dress, etc. My wife likes the kangaroo holster mentioned above for her LCP.

The Sig P938 would indeed be a logical choice - except that it is a new model, and there are reports of issues with it. I do not recommend ANY new gun model from ANY maker until it has been on the market for at least a year. Ask me how I came to that opinion...

There are many many good choices out there, for the gun. You will really need to try them yourself. I love Glocks; if the grip is too thick for you, you can try the Gen 4 versions. If that is still too thick, you can try other double stacks, or any of the numerous single stacks. I would advise you to avoid Kahr, based on my personal experience, but others have had luck with them.

BTW - instead of getting a larger, heavier primary gun, have you thought about getting a BUG instead? I'm a firm believer in carrying two handguns - even if it means carrying two smaller ones. Most days I have a LCR and a LCP. Just a thought...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links