Female CCW gets arrested after calling 911 for help

This is a discussion on Female CCW gets arrested after calling 911 for help within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is it true in North Carolina I read someplace that you are not allowed to have a weapon within so many feet of a school ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Female CCW gets arrested after calling 911 for help

Is it true in North Carolina I read someplace that you are not allowed to have a weapon within so many feet of a school and this even applies to off the school property if it is within so many feet of the school, can't remember where I read this but I have always wondered, you could be walking down a road not aware there is a school and one of those circumstances happen requiring law enforcement to be involved, or you could be driving by and get into an accident on the road in front of a school how this would affect you.. And that lady from what I have read calld the police because she was being followed I am not sure if that is true but if it is it is unacceptable what they did to her if she was seeking a safe haven where she could wait for the police.

2. Remove Ads

I am reading something else here that seems to be overlooked. Quite apparently, it is illegal to have a firearm on school grounds in NC even with a CWP. She was taking her child to school and knew when she left home that she would be on school grounds regardless of what transpired on the way, therefore, she broke the law. I think that is where she got snagged by an asinine law.
    We are fortunate in SC to be able to carry on school property AS LONG AS, a) you have a CWP, and b) the weapon never leaves the locked vehicle.
    I can see however, perhaps they missed the bus and she was on her way to work after dropping off her child and didn't want to be unarmed the rest of the day. And I can definitely see myself doing the same thing. It is really unfortunate that there are laws on the books that turn otherwise honest, law-abiding citizens into criminals when they had no criminal intent to begin with.
    Did she break the law, as asinine as it is? Yes. Should she have been charged under the circumstances? I don't think so. It is a bad situation assuming all of the facts are in.

Quote Originally Posted by JayTee View Post
    I expect some kind of common sense, sheesh! So much for "to serve and protect".
    Not their job any more rules changed some time back . It is to enforce the PC of the current day. There is no right and wrong only the agenda.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I saw this posted on a local forum and my response is the same here: if I were on a jury for prosecuting this, I would refuse to convict.

These stupid criminal safety zones need to go away.
    CIBMike and marinevet1994 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    I saw this posted on a local forum and my response is the same here: if I were on a jury for prosecuting this, I would refuse to convict.

I agree with this 100%!
    Freedom Doc likes this.

this story ... is a problem in the law.... which is totally stupid.

Here, she would have no problem what-so-ever, even if she walked in the school and used their telephone...... as long as the building isn't posted with the AG's approved signage.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Well with the limited information provided there is no way I can even give an opinion on what happened.

It amazes me though that automatically folks state LE lacked common sense, they committed 27 constitutional violations and they were stupid for arresting her all because she had a permit. We don't know what was said, done, or even what the original call was except for she thought she was being followed. Could it have been in her call to the dispatcher went something like "I am being followed and I have a gun, if he get close I will shoot?". Could it be that upon arrival the gun was laying in plain view on the car seat? That the officers "search" of the vehicle was merely securing the weapon? No one knows unless there is some other article or information I have not seen.

There is no background on the woman or anyone or anything else but many are quick to jump to judgement that LE was wrong or committed some violation in order to effect an arrest. Everyone always jumps on the anti press band wagon when they print something in regards to a shooting and state how they are biased and don't get the facts straight but in this case many take the 1/2 paragraph printed and run with it.
    wmhawth, DaveH, Toorop and 1 others like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Thank you tacman, since this thread was perilously close to looking like a LEO bashing thread.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post

Which is why we all need to step up when called to Jury duty.

Michael
    ccw9mm likes this.

Well, it is currently illegal to have a gun on school property in NC. So there is one problem. But we have had at least one law introduced to fix that, but it never got any traction. Hopefully she was not the recipient of some really bad information. And I have heard some doozies lately. And without knowing any back story as to whether she had a better than average reason to be in fear of something, I'll leave any comments related to what she should have done alone. I do hope there are some extenuating circumstances that go in her favor.

NC gun laws are a minefield.
    bull8042 likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

It's definitely questionable why they did the search, but not enough info to know why.

But, the overall in this ..... is still a stupid law.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Peoples Protectorate of Kaliforniya, gulag NorCal
    Ma'am,, I understand you suspect your being followed.
    Yes, that is correct officer.
    Ma'am, is it OK if we have a look in your vehicle?
    Well officer,I am not sure how that relates to me being followed, so no, I do not consent to a search of my car.
    I can appriciate that ma'am , however, we want to make sure the vehicle is safe for you to return to.
    Thank you for your concern officer however, my car has not left my sight so I beleive it is clear. Am I free to go officer?
    Yes ma'am, you are free to go.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - Second Amendment T-Shirts

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ - Go Greek. Lifetime member Kappa Kappa Bang (KKB) Fraternity

The reaction to this seems rather silly to me. There are very few facts to pass judgement but if someone is in trouble... Someone is in trouble. I don't see how her car could be searched either. Unless she consented? But what reason would the police have to ask for consent to search?

If she gave her name to dispatch they knew she had a CHL when they pulled up. She allegedly told dispatch she had a weapon. 2+2 = busted.
    Like we are so fond of saying... Concealed is concealed.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

so let me get this strait, it's not okay to be ignorant of the law when you're a citizen but the police can? how many times do the police bust up LAC's when they're open carrying legally? but they get a slide because they're cops?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links