When do you unload? - Page 2

When do you unload?

This is a discussion on When do you unload? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Ionracas Would you mind clarifying this for me please? I am still new to shooting and my EDC and range gun are ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: When do you unload?

Quote Originally Posted by Ionracas View Post
    Would you mind clarifying this for me please? I am still new to shooting and my EDC and range gun are one in the same. I run seperate magazines so I do not have to constantly exchange carry and range ammo but there still is that chambered round being loaded and unloaded.
    When a round is chambered in most pistol actions, the slide pushes the bullet out of the magazine and up the feed ramp into the chamber. For a short period of time, this 'squeezes' the cartridge, pushing the bullet back into the case ever-so-slightly.

Once or thrice, this doesn't matter. After a few times through the action though, this will 'push' the bullet back into the case enough that it's compressing the powder more than it should. At that point, you have added a +P to whatever you started out with. Do it enough, and it causes undue stress on your chamber and barrel, and eventually could lead to a ruptured chamber.

Ouch.

There are a few ways to deal with this problem.

Some will just leave the top round in their chamber at the range, and shoot it with their practice stuff, and top of the mag with a new HP when they get home. Some will throw it in with the practice stuff after a few chamberings.

Personally, I paid too much for the carry stuff to not get the most out of it, so every two chamberings, I actually unload the magazine, and take the top round and put it on the bottom. I mark the 'first' round of every mag with a sharpie, and when it comes back up to the top, I move that mag to the back of my spares. When I do this with all three mags, I shoot them all at once.

It's a pain, and probably overkill... but I'm cheap :)
    Last edited by livewire; September 19th, 2012 at 07:47 PM. Reason: merge
    Ionracas likes this.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

I don't drink, and I don't unload ever.
    Fisher10 likes this.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Thanks for the feedback. I probably would have figured it out the hard way otherwise.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Don't. go to bars much so when I do its for some pre planned event,so I leave my gun at the house.
    When at a restraunt bar I just don't drink no, not even one. Would rather have a handgun on my hip than a drink in my hand.

Now for your question, I only unload after I'm home from the range & its time to clean guns. My drill before the trip to the range: Unload my carry ammo putting the round that was chambered in my watch pocket load my carry gun with range ammo(spare magazines too) then of to the range. Before leaving the range the "watch pocket" round goes into the carry magazine first as I reload gun & magazines. The chambered round I carry home is then traded for the top round in the magazine after cleaning.

I guess I fire off my carry ammo 3 or 4 times a year.

So whatever works for ya !

If you're going to want to load and unload all the time, why not get a revolver? No bullet set-back issues. I had a .380 that I could visibly see the setback on. Didn't like the way that looked so I destroyed the rounds.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by violinjim View Post
    If you're going to want to load and unload all the time, why not get a revolver? No bullet set-back issues. I had a .380 that I could visibly see the setback on. Didn't like the way that looked so I destroyed the rounds.

Jim
    Good point Jim, I should have mentioned that... if you can see setback, it doesn't go to the range box, it goes to the bullet puller.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Unless I'm at the range, traveling to or from the range or cleaning my pistols, they stay completely loaded 24/7.
    bullet setback (and therefore overpressure) is a big concern in most handguns
    Would you mind clarifying this for me please?
    Bullet setback is caused by repeatedly chambering a round. This is when the bullet is pushed deeper into the casing because of the repeated contact with the feed ramp during cycling/loading. When firing, peak chamber pressures occur when the propellent is lit by the primer and the bullet is pushed the short distance to the rifling. After engaging the rifling in the barrel, the pressures begin to decrease. A cartridge requires that the bullet is seated to a certain length that keeps chamber pressures in check. When the bullet is seated too deep into a casing, the pressure can spike to dangerous levels.

I have a method of loading my handguns where the round does not contact the feed ramp when loading the chamber. Setting a round in the chamber then slamming the slide forward is not good for extractors, so I don't do that.

Firearms that have free-floating firing pins can cause damage to the primer if the round is chambered several times. For example, I have read a story about a SWAT officer who chambered the same round in his AR-15 many times (more than a few times). The battering from the free floating firing pin caused the compound in the primer to shift or break apart and when the officer pulled the trigger, nothing happened. In the end everything was okay but it's something to keep in mind. Most handguns won't have this issue because most handgun firing pins spring loaded.

When I go practice I take the carry ammo out of the mags and put in practice ammo. I shoot the one already in the chamber.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

On the rare occasion I need to leave my gun in the car I lock it in a safe cabled to the seat frame, loaded. When I get back in, it goes back in my holster in case I need it on the way home. I only unload to clean it or dry fire.

I only unload when it's time to clean.

I only unload to enter the range (safety rules). The round that came from the chamber is the first round I fire (usually a +P). If I have to go somewhere where I can't CC, I lock it up in either the glovebox or trunk (loaded). If I'm going to have a drink after work, etc., I unload & lock the gun in the glovebox & the rounds in the trunk.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

The only time I unload my weapons is when I am going to the range (swap out range ammo) and/or to clean. Other than that, I do not load and unload. The ones I am not carrying go into their case and into the safe ready to roll. All loaded, all the time. At home, they stay either holstered or cased in the safe.

As for the drinking part, I rarely do it anymore. If I do, it is one...two at the max while eating seafood. I have a safe in the truck, so just lock it in the safe in the same condition I carry it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    My guns stay loaded. If I'm not carrying it I place it in the safe loaded.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I try to keep the same habits when at home as I do here. My weapons stay loaded and other than a daily morning chamber check nothing else is done.

When at home when the gun comes off it goes in the safe loaded and it stays that way. I have a specific house gun so most everything else is secured.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    You put the firearm, full mag and all, in the truck or glove compartment if that is consistent with your state law. You are going to be going back to your car and common sense and situational awareness tells me that at that moment I want to be fully armed again and not fiddling with a mag etal. As far as taking mag out of firearm and emptying firearm chamber, I can only think of 2 very obvious reasons---small children in house for really 100% protection in addition to other protection, and when cleaning your firearm, which, I hope, needs no further explanation

, I can only

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links