Holster question

This is a discussion on Holster question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I am nearing that faithfull day that my permit will be coming in the mail. I forget what I was looking at but one ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Holster question

Holster question

So I am nearing that faithfull day that my permit will be coming in the mail. I forget what I was looking at but one guy said he can't do iwb anymore because he is to fat or something like that. This got me thinking as I am 35 lb overweight myself. So I took out one of my guns for the hell of it and put it by itself iwb to see what it would be like. I must say that it was fairly snugg (though I wear my pants tight at the waste with the belt as it is). I feel that my gun was going nowhere. I sat down and stood up repeatedly about 20 times without touching it in anyway and it didn't move at all from what I could tell. With that being said would it be alright for me to just go about without even having a holster? In all honesty if I loosened my belt up I could fit one in there no problem but with the way I wear my pants now I think it would be fine.

opinions on this?

2. Remove Ads

I wore a gun (Glock 27) without a holster the first year that I carried IWB. I found myself uncomfortable, adjusting the grip and constantly adjusting my clothing. I always use a holster now, simply because it's a much better experience. I would also wear a holster for two important reasons. First, to cover the trigger. Second, to keep the gun stable and prevent it from shifting and moving.

If you want a holster that is minimal, look at Remora holsters. It's infinitely adjustable and very comfortable. I can't think of any reason that you would want to avoid using a holster.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    I wore a gun (Glock 27) without a holster the first year that I carried IWB. I found myself uncomfortable, adjusting the grip and constantly adjusting my clothing. I always use a holster now, simply because it's a much better experience. I would also wear a holster for two important reasons. First, to cover the trigger. Second, to keep the gun stable and prevent it from shifting and moving.

If you want a holster that is minimal, look at Remora holsters. It's infinitely adjustable and very comfortable. I can't think of any reason that you would want to avoid using a holster.
    Holster it is. thank you

Go to glocktech.com and check out the MIC holster. I use this with a glock 36. Best holster I've used. Essentially its like not having a holster except the trigger is covered so you don't shoot yourself. There are videos of how it works on the website also.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    Semper Fi

Also, if ur user name is what I think it is......Semper Fi

031131 likes this.
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by jpeto View Post
    Also, if ur user name is what I think it is......Semper Fi

Indeed it is. Semper Fi

You might also want to look at the minotaur MTAC IWB. You can adjust height and cant.

Inside Waistband Holsters - Minotaur Holsters - products new home - Minotaur MTAC Holster

Semper Fi
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

VIP Member
    031131 hello and welcome.

Holster will always be your best bet over "Mexican Carry". There would always be that one time that you moved wrong, sat down or up in the wrong way and the gun hits the floor which could be at the least embarrassing.

Wow with all the Jarheads joining we may have to change the background colors to Scarlet and Gold.

Semper Fi.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 031131 View Post
    So I am nearing that faithfull day that my permit will be coming in the mail. I forget what I was looking at but one guy said he can't do iwb anymore because he is to fat or something like that. This got me thinking as I am 35 lb overweight myself. So I took out one of my guns for the hell of it and put it by itself iwb to see what it would be like. I must say that it was fairly snugg (though I wear my pants tight at the waste with the belt as it is). I feel that my gun was going nowhere. I sat down and stood up repeatedly about 20 times without touching it in anyway and it didn't move at all from what I could tell. With that being said would it be alright for me to just go about without even having a holster? In all honesty if I loosened my belt up I could fit one in there no problem but with the way I wear my pants now I think it would be fine.

opinions on this?
    A very emphatic NO to your question. Carrying a gun with the trigger not covered is a ND looking for a place to happen.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

thanks everyone for the input. I will surely be getting a holster.

I agree with the warning about carrying a gun without a holster...that is an accident waiting to happen. And a painful accident at that!

I'll add my 2 cents worth on a holster choice...I looked at the various IWB choices and decided on an Old Faithful Stage 3. It is very much like the Crossbreed (which I really liked), but it has thicker leather, thicker kydex, and the kydex is attached with screws instead of rivets. That allows for easy adjustment as the leather breaks in. I've been wearing it now almost daily for 6 weeks...it is very comfortable. If you do go with an IWB, no matter the maker, you need to have a good leather gun belt and pants should be at least one size larger in the waist than usual. Once you get everything dialed in I think you'll be comfortable with it. Good luck and be safe!

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Guess you already caught the dickens, whatever in hell they are anyway, so I'll shut up on that. A friend of mine is an LEO, carries Mexican, SOB, all the time and it worries me no end. Last year he was helping load hay in the barn and he fell backwards on the trailer ramp, taking most of the hit in the small of his back and on the M&P. Nothing but pain on his part....a fair amount of pain, but no AD. I watched it in slow motion and my mind was already racing towards the first aid kit. Spooky stuff.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

GH
    Holster always regardless where you carry it. Keep that trigger covered.

You might wind up getting several holsters to fit the occasion. Depending on what clothing you're wearing at a particular time & what time of then year it is or even your mood at the time it could be IWB, OWB or shoulder. I've seen some holsters advertised that can be worn IWB & by switching the belt clips, OWB.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

I see this has already been well covered, but I'll add my .02. I would never carry without a holster. There are too many things that could go wrong, and there are a lot of holsters out there that are pretty darned comfortable, so I don't see wearing a holster as an issue. If your pants are too tight to comfortably wear a holster you can always go up a pant size. Works for me.

Go look at Remora holsters. It is kind of like carrying without a holster in that it doesn't attach to anything. Simply slides IWB and the rubberized surface holds it in place.

I have been carrying my CW45 in it all summer and it has worked great. The wife uses one for her CW9.

No holster is a bad idea in my book.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links