hidden pistol in car - Page 5

hidden pistol in car

This is a discussion on hidden pistol in car within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Get a trunk monkey feed it once a week, then you don't need to hide a gun... trunk monkey - Bing Videos...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: hidden pistol in car

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    Get a trunk monkey feed it once a week, then you don't need to hide a gun...trunk monkey - Bing Videos
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

I'm not sure if its been mentioned in the previous 5 pages, but (at least in Florida) a weapon needs to be in a clickable compartment like a glove box or center console. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but having a gun just hidden is illegal. Even with a CCW, it has to be concealed on your person or in a clickable compartment.

Quote Originally Posted by rigel42 View Post
    I'm not sure if its been mentioned in the previous 5 pages, but (at least in Florida) a weapon needs to be in a clickable compartment like a glove box or center console. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but having a gun just hidden is illegal. Even with a CCW, it has to be concealed on your person or in a clickable compartment.
    clickable? that's a new one... Wouldn't that be pretty low on practicality? Not a lot of difference between "clickable" and "under some papers".

Oh wait... government.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Good point and thanks for the input. In Oregon we are allowed to carry concealed with a permit and allowed to keep a hidden loaded weapon in your unattended locked vehicle. When it comes to guns I follow the rules. I made several inquiries to the proper authorities to be sure my idea was legal. I don't know about other states so I'll have to find out prior to visiting.

Quote Originally Posted by livewire View Post
    clickable? that's a new one... Wouldn't that be pretty low on practicality? Not a lot of difference between "clickable" and "under some papers".

Oh wait... government.
    There's a few people on this forum that know Florida law inside and out. I'm sure they will chime in tomorrow and clarify the "Clickable". The way I understand it (my CCW is from Florida), the glove box is OK. "Under some papers" is illegal even with a CCW. I haven't researched other states and I carry my weapon concealed on my person in Texas.

Get a dodge ram. I got compartments everywhere. Favorite spot is behind the...oh wait...its none of your business.
    Last edited by tricolordad; September 21st, 2012 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by jblives2ride View Post
    Get a trunk monkey feed it once a week, then you don't need to hide a gun...trunk monkey - Bing Videos
    I have a Trunk Monkey in both my vehicles....... I have used it many times works great.......
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I use a trunk platypus. I have usualy driven off by the time the BG stops laughing
    Paymeister likes this.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

GunSling-R Vehicle Holster Mount

If you don't want it locked and you have room under the seat this could work for you. Won't help with a break in though since it will be easy to find and grab.

Trunk Mounted Handgun Safe

I like the idea of a more solid safe mounted in the trunk for a normal size gun when you have such a limited space in the cabin. In addition, I always carry a .380 in my pocket. While I don't have quite the same confidence in this very small gun, at least it is always with me. It's not the round that concerns me, it's harder to shoot such a small gun accurately and hit the target. If I have the need to use a gun while seated in my vehicle, I think my P3AT will stop the threat at a point blank range.

Like you, still looking for the perfect solution in limited space and something this is a good compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Buy a center of mass safe cable tie it under your car seat. When you are driving move your holstered pistol to an area that is easier to draw from. When you leave your car and cannot carry your pistol lock it in the safe that is hidden under the drivers seat.
    The answer

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    In short terms, what FL law says is anyone who an legally possess a fiream can conceal a loaded handgun in a private conveyance (any privately owned vehicle--yours or otherwise, meaning not a cab or some other "public" transportation) as long as it's "securely encased" and not visible. One must have a CC permit to conceal on or about the body.

FS 790.001 defines securely encased: (17) “Securely encased” means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.

The statute states nothing about being latched or "clickable." By FL statute, you can have a handgun under the seat as long as it's in a zippered case or even a "snapped' holster. The intent is that something has to be opened to access the gun. This is one of the many legalities of handgun carry that I've found many LEOs are not aware of, insisting a gun under the seat without a permit is illegal. I had to print out the statute to convince one LEO that he was wrong.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Ionracas View Post
    I use a trunk platypus. I have usualy driven off by the time the BG stops laughing
    Hey! Where's Perry?

Sorry, but that's all I can add. I drive a smart, so no "trunk anything" for me....

OK, I came to this after five pages of posts.

My suggestions :

Get a Mc Donalds bag, insert gun. insert smelly burger and fries wrappers over the gun, making sure to get some mustard, onions and a bunch of pickles on and in the bag so it's so stinky nobody will spend much time looking in it or taking it (except maybe to a trash can which is the weak link).

Or, remove the air bag from the steering wheel, insert gun, maybe with some velcro attachment so it doesn't rattle. Quick secure blaster storage, and you can re-install the air bag when it's time to turn in your lease. (air bags are for wusses anyways, right ?)

Or, build up a small cover from fiberglass under the carpet either on the side of the console, on the floor near the console of just in front of the seat. In most cars there is a support beam molded into the floor at the front of the seat where wiring is routed through, this makes a good spot for a molded pocket under the carpet that is still easy to access while seated.

Or, buy an SUV or pickup truck with a large enough console to hold a real safe in it.

Or, what I did in two of my cars, but it doesn't meet your stringent guide lines.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
    GunSling-R Vehicle Holster Mount

If you don't want it locked and you have room under the seat this could work for you. Won't help with a break in though since it will be easy to find and grab.

Trunk Mounted Handgun Safe

I like the idea of a more solid safe mounted in the trunk for a normal size gun when you have such a limited space in the cabin. In addition, I always carry a .380 in my pocket. While I don't have quite the same confidence in this very small gun, at least it is always with me. It's not the round that concerns me, it's harder to shoot such a small gun accurately and hit the target. If I have the need to use a gun while seated in my vehicle, I think my P3AT will stop the threat at a point blank range.

Like you, still looking for the perfect solution in limited space and something this is a good compromise.
    The Gunsling-R looks like a good product. Unfortunately I'm space limited under the seat with all the electronic seat adjustment gizmos. This would be a great option for someone wanting to bring a pistol in their car, stow it for easy access, and then if they want - take it with them when they leave the car. This would work especially well if the seats are countoured like mine and there isn't really much room between my 3:30-4:00 carry position and the seat's side bolster. Kinda fits like a glove.
    Thanks to all who have served in the military of our great country.
    http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
    NRA Life Member
    IDPA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yetiman View Post
    OK, I came to this after five pages of posts.

My suggestions :

Get a Mc Donalds bag, insert gun. insert smelly burger and fries wrappers over the gun, making sure to get some mustard, onions and a bunch of pickles on and in the bag so it's so stinky nobody will spend much time looking in it or taking it (except maybe to a trash can which is the weak link).

Or, remove the air bag from the steering wheel, insert gun, maybe with some velcro attachment so it doesn't rattle. Quick secure blaster storage, and you can re-install the air bag when it's time to turn in your lease. (air bags are for wusses anyways, right ?)

Or, build up a small cover from fiberglass under the carpet either on the side of the console, on the floor near the console of just in front of the seat. In most cars there is a support beam molded into the floor at the front of the seat where wiring is routed through, this makes a good spot for a molded pocket under the carpet that is still easy to access while seated.

Or, buy an SUV or pickup truck with a large enough console to hold a real safe in it.

Or, what I did in two of my cars, but it doesn't meet your stringent guide lines.
    I tried the McDonalds bag approach but once when I had to draw my pistol I got pickle juice in my eye and ended up getting shot (kidding).

I like the under carpet idea. A friend who modifys cars to race told me about that so we measured and only a micro SA would fit as there is too thin a layer of foam in the floor pan.

I think you'll like the idea I came up with. Photos to follow by Monday. Thanks for the ideas.
    Thanks to all who have served in the military of our great country.
    http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
    NRA Life Member
    IDPA Member

Sponsored Links