hidden pistol in car

This is a discussion on hidden pistol in car within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't know if it has been said, but get one of those holsters and bolt it inside the car in a place where you ...

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: hidden pistol in car

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I don't know if it has been said, but get one of those holsters and bolt it inside the car in a place where you can access it. And then when you get to work transfer it to the safe under your seat. You can't have all your criteria met to be honest.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadePir8 View Post
    As slick as that looks, doesn't the grip end up being behind the seat? It looks like it would be accessible to the backseat dri...passenger, but not to the driver without some real acrobatics. Or a dislocated shoulder
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by livewire View Post
    As slick as that looks, doesn't the grip end up being behind the seat? It looks like it would be accessible to the backseat dri...passenger, but not to the driver without some real acrobatics. Or a dislocated shoulder
    In this picture the top is only partially opened. Once fully opened it's more accessible. But at that angle I agree with you. ... Perhaps this design needs just a few adjustments to get it just right.

In this picture the top is only partially opened. Once fully opened it's more accessible. But at that angle I agree with you. ... Perhaps this design needs just a few adjustments to get it just right.
    I like it though... I would like to find something small-ish that has a popup like that for my girlfriend's car.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Actually, it is all the way open. The newest revision of this safe is 1" taller than the one pictured in a Nissan Titan console and might not fit anymore. That was done so a 1911 with extended magazine will fit inside it. It is rather large for most vehicles due to the swing arc of the door and needing clearance for the grip. It was really designed for bed side but I have seen a few creative installs. It will fit horizontally under a rear seat on many SUV's or trucks.

Nissan Titan Handgun Safe

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    I don't know if it has been said, but get one of those holsters and bolt it inside the car in a place where you can access it. And then when you get to work transfer it to the safe under your seat. You can't have all your criteria met to be honest.
    I don't want to have to monkey around with the gun M-F twice daily. It needs a hidden home in the car. Stay tuned...all criteria can be met. I will share after this weekend. I have the parts needed and now just need to make the time over the weekend to install.
    Thanks to all who have served in the military of our great country.
    http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
    NRA Life Member
    IDPA Member

I love this idea for my SUV but simply don't have the box in my car. The console box in my car is nothing more than a small compartment built into the armrest. You could barely fit a pack of smokes in there.
    Thanks to all who have served in the military of our great country.
    http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
    NRA Life Member
    IDPA Member

Quote Originally Posted by PapaCap View Post
    Greetings, I like knowledge, discussing thought provoking topics, and having fun. Here we go...

For my first post let's play a little game I call RTFQ. Where is the best place to hide a pistol in a car?

I searched this topic to no avail. Everything about this post is with the intent to follow the law. I have multiple concealed carry permits. I can't carry at work. Otherwise I carry everywhere I am legally allowed. I typically don't go into places where I'm not allowed to carry. Since I can't carry at work, I want to keep a pistol in my car all the time. That way while I'm driving to and from work I can have a pistol with me. I do not want to carry on my person while dressed for work so the pistol in question needs to be hidden in my car.

The criteria are simple for where and how to hide a pistol. The answer may not be so simple:
    1. It must be out of sight of passengers and from anyone looking in the car from the outside.
    2. It must be in a location that is readily available (within 2 seconds).
    3. It must not impede me from driving the car.
    4. It must be located and stowed in a fashion that will not cause a problem should I get in a wreck or have to slam on the brakes.
    5. It must be located and stowed in a location very unlikely for a thief to find.

Let the fun begin!
    Just keep the gun where it usually is until you get to work. Stop and hide it then before you drive in. Then reverse it when you're leaving.

Then you're only criteria is hiding the gun. I'd just put it in the trunk somewhere in a small safe under some stuff. Or under the seat in the car.

If you want my nutty way of having casual car thieves go to another car: while living in NYC they were stealing expensive headlights and wheels/rims from cars where I parked. I printed my State Seal with some random letters and numbers underneath: had it laminated and left it on the dash whenever I parked and left the car. It looks like it might be official - yet because it's just a State Seal I'm not impersonating a LEO or Fed Agent or something. I still use it whenever I park + a steering wheel lock which a pro can cut thru in 2 seconds. But, at least my fantasy is: with both the Seal and the Bar-Lock on the steering wheel, a casual thief may think:

"....on second thought, Nah, think I'll hit the one down the street".

Never had my car broken into or stolen. No way to know, but maybe my set-up helps.

Anyway, FYI

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Does the vehicle have an overhead console in it? If so is there a location in it what would allow storage of the gun?
    I actually like the idea of an overhead console. You can get aftermarket ones for a variety of vehicles. But, the vehicle can't have a sunroof. I agree that state laws dictate the rules in this game; so you need to know them.

-

Ye of little faith. I say where there is a will, there is a way. I'm betting that the collective creativity of folks on this forum will come to an answer that satisfies my criteria.

OBTW, a friend recently had his M&P stolen from his car. It was "hidden" in a backpack in the back of a SUV with dark windows. You could not see anything through the windows but once the thief was in he grabbed the entire backpack. He was abiding the restaurant sign that said "No weapons, period". I would have eaten elsewhere.
    ROTFLMAO !!! THAT is not hidden. THAT is just begging to be stolen.

Your friend might want to look up the difference between hidden and secure.
    marcclarke likes this.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    I don't want to have to monkey around with the gun M-F twice daily. ...
    I can understand that: didn't some airline pilot blow a hole through the cockpit floor while fiddling with their gotta-check-it-twice-before-your-shift pistol?
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

I don't want to have to monkey around with the gun M-F twice daily. It needs a hidden home in the car. Stay tuned...all criteria can be met. I will share after this weekend. I have the parts needed and now just need to make the time over the weekend to install.
    I think a retention kydex holster mounted within reach from the drivers seat seems to be what you have in mind. The only place that a thief might might not look would be in the kick panel or under dash area. I don't think you have room anywhere else on your car. Would be better if it had more security if you plan on leaving it there all the time.

Anyone seen Dog Day Afternoon ending scene where Sonny's partner Sal got killed in the car? There's your solution. :)

I've read all the posts, made a post earlier and I think another good area would be to velcro the gun, in a secure holster, behind the glove compartment panel.(nobody can get to the compartment and the gun behind it) First of all, it's hidden, second, you can lock the glove compartment and with a good tug, the compartment will flips downward revealing the gun. Third, it's readily available with the push of a button, with no mods to the vehicle.
    Just a thought.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Links