hidden pistol in car

This is a discussion on hidden pistol in car within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ericb327 I guess I never thought about it; SINCE I HAVE A PERMIT! Just in case I wasn't clear in the beginning, ...

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: hidden pistol in car

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I guess I never thought about it; SINCE I HAVE A PERMIT!
    Just in case I wasn't clear in the beginning, I wanted to reiterate that my post and agenda was keeping it completely legal. In Oregon we can leave a loaded firearm in an unattended locked vehicle. I'm not sure the law requires the unattended vehicle to be locked when a gun, loaded or otherwise, is in said vehicle. I included "locked" out of common sense.
    Thanks to all who have served in the military of our great country.
    http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
    NRA Life Member
    IDPA Member

2. Remove Ads

I was working a 2 places under direct aerospace and DoD contracts. Florida has a law which provides for a gun in your car, only if its "locked up" The car must be locked.
    However, its too easy to smash and grab, so I bought a Harbor frieght safe with didgital and Key entry systems. its thru bolted in my center console (SUV) with the end inside the safe using a lock nut. Its not a heavy duty bank type safe, however, it would make a thief find an easier car to burgel.
    For the trips there and home, I take it out of the safe and have it where I can reach it in a hurry (I have a permit)
    The safe is relatively small and fits a 4" barrel gun OK. It was $23 on sale.

For those who simply want to disguise the weapon, I think the best idea is to take a diaper, superglue some fake doggy poo to it, rub in some mustard and ketchup and allow to dry completely, etc, then hide the gun inside it. How many thieves are going to open what appears to be a crap filled leaking diaper.
    B34R likes this.
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    I swore I would never post this, but here's something I made a few years ago and I've used it since. I had been keeping my gun between the driver's seat and the center console in a former vehicle, but then I bought my new truck and it didn't really accomodate this. Like the OP, I wanted:

1. Quick access

2. Total concealment

3. No worries where the gun is concerned in an accident.

I went to either Lowe's or Home Depot and bought an aluminum strip. This is usually found in the section where the bar stock and angle iron is kept.

I had bought a Comp-Tac Infidel holster for my XD 45 Compact 45 a couple of years earlier and didn't much care for it (not knocking Comp-Tac at all; the Minotaur is the only IWB holster I normally use. But the Infidel is all kydex, so....).

Anyway, I cut and bent the aluminum strip to bridge between two surfaces; the front one is basically a part of the frame and the rear one is the metal underside of the dash.

I then mounted the Infidel holster onto the aluminum bar with screws, nuts, and locking washers. I cut off the nylon thumb break strips from a junky nylon holster I had bought at a gun show and attached them in the appropriate locations. The bottom one is held on (strongly) by Velcro. I put the XD in the holster, snap on the bottom nylon strap, then attach it via velcro along the underside of the holster. Please note that the nylon strips are NOT for retention of the gun, but only for a little reassurance against it ever going backward out of the holster. The holster itself holds it very well and this rig has been as solid as a rock!

As an added touch, I cut up an old satchel of some sort and attached a piece that just lays across the holster and pistol.

Bottom Line: The gun cannot be seen from anywhere inside the truck, and that includes by me when sitting in the driver's seat. But I know exactly where it is and I can have it in my hand in about a second. I grab the pistol's grip, snap the nylon strap upward, and it's gun in hand.

Not the greatest photo, but you get the idea.

I can tilt forward slightly like I'm adjusting the seat or tilting the steering wheel, and it's in my hand.
    Piratesailor likes this.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

If it's not on me, it's in a holster between the driver's seat and the console.
    B34R likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I like GunVault's NV300. It's got a 3-digit combo lock and a security cable for securing it under the driver's seat. The gun is readily accessible and as safe as it's going to be in a car, short of locking it in the trunk, when I've parked it. No major mods needed on the car.

NV 300 | GunVault
    "Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." ~ Mark Twain

I concur.....I have a nice little gun safe that is slim and came with a cable to attach it to a fixed item in the car such as the seat frame. It fits in the center console and when I leave my weapon in my car it is behind 2 locks which complies with the laws of my state. If you are in the car with your weapon have it on you and it should be readlily accessible. Other than that, your car has no way of defending itself with a gun, so the 2nd lock box is my safe bet that way if someone smashes the window to steal something, the gun would be much more difficult to procure.
    Former US Army SFC
    LTC-Class A HC: MA
    AG License: RI
    LTC: CT

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Buy a center of mass safe cable tie it under your car seat. When you are driving move your holstered pistol to an area that is easier to draw from. When you leave your car and cannot carry your pistol lock it in the safe that is hidden under the drivers seat.
    I have one very similar. The only difference is it has a key lock rather than combination. Found it on Amazon.com for $28 including free shipping. Ordered it on a Tuesday afternoon and it arrived the next day. It works perfectly!
    Former US Army SFC
    LTC-Class A HC: MA
    AG License: RI
    LTC: CT

SpringerXD - nice job and you met all of our similar criteria. We all have to remember that when taking our vehicle in for service to remove the handgun. With my set up it will be really important to remember when going to DEQ (Department of Environmental Quality - state smog check outfit). My holster is mounted right next to the ODB port that they use to determine if my car passes the smog check. Yikes, can you imagine the state tester guy leaning into your car to plug in his device only to be staring at a loaded pistol?
    Thanks to all who have served in the military of our great country.
    http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
    NRA Life Member
    IDPA Member

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaCap View Post
    We all have to remember that when taking our vehicle in for service to remove the handgun.
    Absolutely. I have a Center of Mass safe that I lock it in when taking it for service. Then when they're done, I discreetly find a place as soon as possible to re-holster it.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    You guys missed the obvious solution. Hide it in plain sight! Its just an obsolete camera sitting on the console. Or is it? Seriously, the Center of Mass box cabled to the seat rails fits under or between the seats on my Benz,, Wifes BMW, or any other vehicle we have and can be pulled out by the cable for easy access.

RammanRiley likes this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

2013-ford-f150-svt-raptor-interior mod.jpg

how would you go about attaching a holster here?

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Greetings, I like knowledge, discussing thought provoking topics, and having fun. Here we go...

For my first post let's play a little game I call RTFQ. Where is the best place to hide a pistol in a car?

I searched this topic to no avail. Everything about this post is with the intent to follow the law. I have multiple concealed carry permits. I can't carry at work. Otherwise I carry everywhere I am legally allowed. I typically don't go into places where I'm not allowed to carry. Since I can't carry at work, I want to keep a pistol in my car all the time. That way while I'm driving to and from work I can have a pistol with me. I do not want to carry on my person while dressed for work so the pistol in question needs to be hidden in my car.

The criteria are simple for where and how to hide a pistol. The answer may not be so simple:
    1. It must be out of sight of passengers and from anyone looking in the car from the outside.
    2. It must be in a location that is readily available (within 2 seconds).
    3. It must not impede me from driving the car.
    4. It must be located and stowed in a fashion that will not cause a problem should I get in a wreck or have to slam on the brakes.
    5. It must be located and stowed in a location very unlikely for a thief to find.

Let the fun begin!
    I've spent two decades working in the mobile audio industry, and installing car alarms. Let me tell you that your requirement #5 does not exist. There is NO place a thief will not find in your car, unless you send the car in for a custom storage pocket job that involves setting the HVAC controls, radio controls, turn signal etc in a specific manner to access the welded-in hidden storage bin, which is typically a smuggling trick more than one for quick access to a gun.

Now, with the "I can't let a thier find my gun" requirement out of the way (screw hiding it. When you leave the car, SECURE it in a safe bolted or welded to the car itself in the trunk. Period. Never leave an unsecured gun in your car unattended.)

check this video out:

MRCOLIONNOIR's Car Concealed Carry Method (Revised) - YouTube

see product here:
    GLOCKTECH INDUSTRIES - Home of the Original MIC Holster since 1997

if you don't have a Glock, youc an get a custom-made version for the same price from this guy for any gun made, within reason:
    Multi Holsters ~ Quality Custom KYDEX Gun Holsters for Inside, Outside, Multi 2-in-1 Inside/Outside Waistband & Mag Holders - TC Style

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    I attach my carry holster (Kydex Tactical) to the seat pocket behind the passenger side seat. Easy to get to, fast to retrieve, secure in the event of a collision or violent vehicular manuevers, basically concealed from prying eyes outside the car because rear windows are tinted, the seats are black leather and the holster and weapon are both black.

When I leave the car and for some reason do not carry the weapon with me I conceal it in a hidey hole in the rear compartment. It's a SUV.

If someone steals the car and I have chosen not to carry the weapon with me then I am out of luck.

When I get back in I retrieve it and it goes back to its' place behind the passenger seat.

When grandkids are in the car I remove it from the holster and put it in glove compartment.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Re: hidden pistol in car

I have an idea but want to see if there is any input from this forum before I divulge my thoughts.
    Once I figure this out I will be happy to share with the forum.
    So, is this a legitimate request for advice, or another 20questions thread?

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Links