Creaking Leather

This is a discussion on Creaking Leather within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mine did the same. Added some baby powder under the metal clips. It helped a lot. I added more a second time and I haven't ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Creaking Leather

Mine did the same. Added some baby powder under the metal clips. It helped a lot. I added more a second time and I haven't heard a noise since.

2. Remove Ads

I have an older MTAC (tan cowhide) that has never made a sound. Maybe you guys are on to something with the climate idea.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Horsehide has a tendency to creak. For all the plusses, that is the minus. My CBST creaks. Built on myself, creaks. Built a mag holder, creaks. Built one with leather, not a sound. I'll occasionally get a creak out of my OWB snap on leather holster on my leather belt. But nothing like the horsehide. I've talked to several folks with various versions of IWB holsters from horsehide and most of the creak. Before I made my own I went as far as to put felt spacers between the clip and horsehide. That helped more than anything else. And I don't tuck mine so it wasn't a problem for me.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    A high-end custom holster maker told me creaking is a result of materials, design and construction methods.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

TJx
    I put moleskin on the part of the clips that contacts the leather. It helps some and is worth doing but some creak is still there. I'll have to try baby powder.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RKflorida View Post
    Neatsfoot oil. Saddle soap to clean, neatsfoot oil to soften. No squeaking anymore. I've been using it for baseball gloves, holsters, etc. for 60 years and my father and grandfather before me.
    I'm a neatsfoot oil guy too, I've resurrected many old workboots with it.

I deal with "creaking leather" every morning when I get out of bed and stand up.
    Yetiman and BurgerBoy like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    Try Sno-Seal. Spread on the affected areas and then you warn it with a hair dryer set on medium so it will soak in. Fixed my holster-belt creaks.
    Greg

It's not what you go thru in life, but how well you go thru it.

I've tried talc, though I've always seemed to have better luck with cleaning and treating the leather like leather, same as with a horse saddle, baseball glove, leather jacket, car seats. Of course, the line between well-treated leather and a weakened holster can be a fine one, with the wrong product and/or poor application.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I found mine to be creaking at the rubber washers where they attach to the leather. I loosened the screws and put a little baby powder between the leather, rubber, and the metal clips, then tightened everything down. That totally eliminated the noise issue, but make sure you check the fasteners every once in a while. Make sure that they haven't loosened up any.
    Well, actually I still have a little noise, but it seems to be coming from my hip.

I had the same squeeking problem with my Crossbreed. I e-mailed them and they said to rub some talc powder between the clip and the leather. I did and it hasn't sqeeked in weeks. I haven't had to reaply it either, though I expect I'll have to reaply at some point.

I had a problem of the metal clips squeaking on the leather when I sit down and stand up. I just cut off two 1" long pieces of velcro tape (the soft side) and stuck it between the clips and the leather. I know it doesn't look stellar but it put a hush on it pretty quick.

TJx
    Quote Originally Posted by mavrik46 View Post
    Try Sno-Seal. Spread on the affected areas and then you warn it with a hair dryer set on medium so it will soak in. Fixed my holster-belt creaks.
    Bought a jar on ebay based on your post, put it on today and it works great so far.
    Have you ever had to re-apply it?
    Silence is golden, the creak was driving me nuts.
    I'm thinking Sno Seal may not be a bad thing to put on guns in storage to prevent rust.

One application of Dr. Scholl's foot powder between the metal clips and leather on my CBST several months ago stopped all creaking.

This is a cut-and-paste of an email I received from Crossbreed:

The best way to condition the holster is through wear. If you want to put conditioner on it, the only thing we recommend is Kiwi Leather Lotion on the front of the holster, and less is more. For the squeaking issue you can try putting baby powder behind the clips or attaching felt tabs to the back of the clips. As the holster gets broke in, the squeaking will diminish.
    A little spraying of "Camp Dry" on the back can also help to repel moisture.
    If it's horsehide, use some Neetsfoot oil on the inside of the rig, rub it in well.
    If it's cowhide, use some Kiwi Leather Lotion, available in most shoe sections of department stores
    Carry everywhere it's legal.

“Never bring a knuck buck to a gunfight.” d0nturner, ohioccwforums.org

When my Crossbread was new it creaked badly. I did nothing to it, just continued to wear, and it disappeared after a couple of weeks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links