Yesterday made me proud

This is a discussion on Yesterday made me proud within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife came to me and said: 1) She wants to go shooting, and 2) She wants her carry permit We have a 5 month-old ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yesterday made me proud

Yesterday made me proud

My wife came to me and said:

1) She wants to go shooting, and
    2) She wants her carry permit

We have a 5 month-old daughter, and I really think this is what's driving my wife toward this decision. She's started going for walks with our daughter through our neighborhood. Mind you, it's a nice neighborhood, with virtually no crime. But, I've finally gotten my wife to realize that anything can happen at any time to anybody. She's come to the realization that if she's out on one of her walks and someone attacks, she can't retreat (because of child in stroller); she's going to need a way to stop the attack.

So, this Saturday we're going on our first range trip togethr. I'm taking our S&W .38 Chief's Special and my XD40 sc. I've offered to get my dad's single-action Colt .22 revolver to start her on (less flash, bang, and recoil), but she insists she can start with the .38. We're also going to start looking at a gun specifically to fit her.

I just can't describe how excited I am.

2. Remove Ads

Congrats! My wife did the same thing, but wanted to do it all on her own, and did! Beware however; she will probably outshoot you...
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Senior Moderator
    That's good news - probably all us guys would like to hear our wives saythat!

funny thing, my wife called me on her way to work yesterday and asked me how much it was for her to get a ccw and when she sould take the class. i think that the rise in crime in our area and the school shootings made her consider this more and of course our 6 month old son. she also works for three schools close to denver. this must mean i get to buy another gun
    "Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy forget in time that men have died to win them." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

VIP Member
    Excellent news!
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Bring the .22 anyway.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

That's great! If your wife is willing to take on the responsibility of carrying, more power to her. I think starting with the .38 is fine. Basically the only hand gun my wife will shoot is a 38 snubby. she has shot autos, but all the buttons and safties just weird her out. She likes the DA revolver because with a hammer block, it's not going to AD if dropped, it's not going to jam (NO CLEARING DRILLS), and all she has to do is pull the trigger if she needs to. I hope she never does. Your wife might be different, but kudos to her in any case.

Secondly: I would never be so presumptuous as to tell anyone how to raise their kids, but I will tell you what I did. Keeping this as short as possible, as soon as mine started to crawl, I began firearms avoidance training. People have different views on this, but I can assure you at age five that my little one knows all about what guns can do, just like my sister and I did, and can recite Eddie the eagle in her sleep. Hence, guns are not a mystery to her or a fascination, but she knows they are DEADLY and knows what death is, because she has been hunting with me a lot. Even though, they stay locked up, except my carry gun which is on me or next to my bed at night after she's asleep. Just food for thought. For all I know you may know more about this stuff than me, but I actually feel like it is a duty of every gun owner to discuss this types of issue, and I feel I would be remise in not bringing it up, in the off chance that no one else had.

Again, congrats on God blessing you with a good woman.
    Last edited by sgtD; September 29th, 2006 at 10:10 AM. Reason: grammar
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Congratulations, my friend, and my compliments to your wife for her clear-sighted grasp of today's realities!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    My wife has started talking too! I almost fainted! She has never shown interest, and always rolled her eyes to me carrying. I will start a new thread with my details.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Assistant Administrator
    This is most pleasing and encouraging.

I did have to ''work'' on my wife over time to go ahead and do something about it but in the end it was all but her decision (nearly LOL!).

In some respects where small kids are involved, we could say that in effect the mother should almost have the major wish to carry - maternal protectiveness etc - sadly as always some do not see it.

Here tho is a real triumph!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Beware also... soon your favorite gun will mysteriously become "hers"...

I think it's great that your wife is taking this interest.

Some points, (these are just my opinions based on experience.):
    - we (husbands) make bad teachers for our wives. My wife likes to shoot with me at the range, but I'm her worst teacher. She freely takes advice from my brother (an NRA instructor), but my pointers are not as welcome.
    - rent a .380 or 9mm for her at the range. A .38 can kick a little hard for a newb.

VIP Member
    Oh sure... now you're excited! But wait till she starts taking your favorite guns and out shooting you with them!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Well That's Nice to Hear...

and I hope her interest continues to peak...

Stay safe...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

wah hoo!! once she's shooting the bug will hit.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links