Help From My Missouri Friends

This is a discussion on Help From My Missouri Friends within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in Illinois and frequent the St Louis area. Was there today with my family shopping at the St Louis Galleria. When in MO ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bark'n
  • 1 Post By TX expat

Thread: Help From My Missouri Friends

I live in Illinois and frequent the St Louis area. Was there today with my family shopping at the St Louis Galleria. When in MO I CC...have a Florida permit. Prior to going to any state that I CC I call either the state police or sheriffs office in the county I'm visiting. I also hit the website to see if laws have changed.

Today we entered through Dilliards. Because I dont CC daily I'm diligent about no weapon signage. I'm been to the mall a 100 times and have never seen a 'No Weapons' sign. Today was no different. We shopped for about two hours. Didnt see any posting. As usual, security was very visible. Today they had a couple of LEOs posted in front of the Apple store.

On our way out, leaving the same way we came, I noticed very faint , 1 inch lettering on the Dilliards door...'No Weapons'. The doors are tinted so you can't see the lettering on the way in and can barely see it on the way out.

We went across the street to eat at Maggianos. As we were waiting I googled whether it was illegal to CC in the Galleria or malls in general. I found 1 blog that stated it was illegal. I went on the MSP site and found no reference of malls being a restricted area.

Am I missing something?

The malls fall under the standard gun free zone laws in MO. If asked to leave you must comply or you are trespassing but it is not Illegal to carry.

I frequent the South and West county malls and they are posted as well.

Here is the official MO info...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...o2S_tzBvLQOBrg

I don't believe that malls fall under a "standard gun free zone.". In Columbia, our mall used to be posted, now it's not, and MC Sports is selling long guns and handguns in the mall. Malls are private property, they can choose to be posted or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Missouri Revised Statutes Chapter 571 Weapons Offenses

2. Carrying of a concealed firearm in a location specified in subdivisions (1) to (17) of subsection 1 of this section by any individual who holds a concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 shall not be a criminal act but may subject the person to denial to the premises or removal from the premises.

If such person refuses to leave the premises and a peace officer is summoned, such person "may" be issued a citation for an amount not to exceed one hundred dollars for the first offense. If a second citation for a similar violation occurs within a six-month period, such person shall be fined an amount not to exceed two hundred dollars and his or her endorsement to carry concealed firearms shall be suspended for a period of one year. If a third citation for a similar violation is issued within one year of the first citation, such person shall be fined an amount not to exceed five hundred dollars and shall have his or her concealed carry endorsement revoked and such person shall not be eligible for a concealed carry endorsement for a period of three years.
    The bold passage (subdivisions (1) to (17) of subsection 1) refers to the places which are posted not to carry (and is written in the statute just above subsection 2 (which is what I posted in the quote). I left out the list of 17 places here due to it's length).

As you can see, it clearly states violation of those places is not a criminal act.

Only if you refuse to leave when confronted are you subject to a "civil trespass" (not criminal trespass), citation and a fine.

Suspension of your permit does not even come into play until there are subsequent events within a six month period of the first offense.

*Note: There is an exception. Carrying a gun on any bus (public or private) is a felony in Missouri and is spelled out elsewhere in the statutes. So don't be caught carrying your firearm on the Metro in St. Louis.

You can view the entire chapter in it's entirety or just view the specific sections by utilizing the link below

Missouri Revised Statutes; Chapter 571
    Spirit51 likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Thanks for the replies. Being from the Communist Republic of Illinois and a visitor to MO, I want to be respectful to your state and laws. It just took me by surprise when noticed the, almost, invisible posting on the Dillard's door. Not sure what the laws are for posting 'No Weapons' signage but you would think they would at least be required to be visible. Yes?

Love the state of MO. Have family there.

VIP Member
    The MO CCW laws are very favorable to the CCW holder. Basically the "gun buster" signs only serve as a warning to let you know that the property owner doesn't want concealed weapons on the property. It carries no legal weight on its own. If you are 'caught' carrying on posted property, you could be asked to leave the property. If you don't leave, you could face prosecution for trespassing. You can have your permit revoked if you do that enough, but generally, if you leave the property, it'll end there. Now I will add that Federal laws apply so carrying somewhere federally prohibited will get you arrested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bark'n likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Links