Bank carrying?

This is a discussion on Bank carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Fausty my bank isn't posted. as far as i understand it is legal in WI. I've never seen anything about WI law ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Bank carrying?

GH
    Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    my bank isn't posted. as far as i understand it is legal in WI.
    I've never seen anything about WI law that says it's illegal, Fausty. I carry my concealed gun to the bank in Brown Deer all the time. My bank isn't posted, either. I conceal well so nobody even knows I have it.

For those states where carrying in a bank is illegal how do they handle it when the bank is located in a supermarket that has one? Is the whole unposted store then treated as a bank? I wouldn't think of going shopping while unarmed. Of course I wouldn't think of being unarmed anytime except when I take my grandson to school where it's definitely illegal.
    Timetrialsc likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by odysseus View Post
    I have worked for banks. My impression was it is a federal law that prohibits carrying in a national bank. No?

Hays
    I thought the last time we had a national bank was under the Jackson administration.
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

It depends...

Quote Originally Posted by buckman2591 View Post
    So who carries into the bank while doing business with the bank? Some dimwit banker claims its illegal in Ohio
    Which bank does the "dimwit" work for?
    His branch may be posted.
    I've carried in Huntington, PNC and Key banks with zero problems (all three are not posted).

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    It's not in FL. The notice on the entry is no hats, hoodies up, sunglasses, and something else I can't remember, but no "No Guns" signs.

Man I wish the other Florida folks could get it through their heads that signs mean nothing regarding legal carry. Please read 790 and know it if you are going to carry.

Places off-limits when carrying:
    1. any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05
    2. any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station
    3. any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse
    4. any courtroom*
    5. any polling place
    6. any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district
    7. any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof
    8. any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms
    9. any school administration building
    10. any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption*
    11. any elementary or secondary school facility
    12. any area technical center
    13. any college or university facility*
    14. inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport*
    15. any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law

Nowhere on that list is banks, Costco, gun shops, ......
    Signs do not carry weight of law in Florida. Do you think it is against the LAW to wear a hoodie, hat or sunglasses in a bank? Can they refuse service for that? Sure but not illegal and if your carrying concealed your not going to be asked to leave.
    BTW - I am sure those signs work to keep bank robbers wearing hoodies, hats and sunglasses out.
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

So who carries into the bank while doing business with the bank? Is it legal in your state? Some dimwit banker claims its illegal in Ohio
    If the bank is posted it's illegal.

If not, there is nothing in the ORC that specifically makes banks a prohibited area, you can read it yourself. And you should have a copy of the AG's handbook that lists prohibited places.

Although there are some banks that post all their branches around here, but there are many that do not.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Perfectly legal in VA, I both CC and OC in banks around here. Never been a problem.
    tkruf likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Yes, I carry into banks and nearly everywhere else I go. The short-list of criminalized locations are spots I assiduously avoid, but it doesn't include banks.

The obvious question for anti-gunners and political hacks who would claim that such places are preferable as criminal-empowerment zones: what is it about such a location that makes it truly unjustifiable for upstanding citizens to be capable of effectively defending their own lives against violent criminals?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Gforty View Post
    Which bank does the "dimwit" work for?
    His branch may be posted.
    I've carried in Huntington, PNC and Key banks with zero problems (all three are not posted).
    He works for Huntington with my fiancée and he claims its illegal. I said its not posted, and just because you're federally insured doesn't mean you are a federal/government run entity
    CIBMike likes this.

He works for Huntington with my fiancée and he claims its illegal. I said its not posted, and just because you're federally insured doesn't mean you are a federal/government run entity
    "Never argue with idiots, they will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience." M. Twain
    Badey and JDE101 like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    I think we need a definition of a "national bank". "Federal Reserve"?
    Federal reserve is a private institution. Not a national bank.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Probably was referring to a National chartered bank as opposed to a State chartered. Most of this has been eliminated lately due to the purchasing/absorption of most State chartered by the MEGA banks. The National charter applied to the "banking rules" as they dealt with the Fed.

I wouldn't walk into a bank or a pharmacy these days without a gun. (or a gas station for that matter)
    bigmacque and CIBMike like this.
    NRA Life Member

Carry in banks in Ohio are fine. I live in Ky. and I won't go in a bank without carrying. My feeling is conceal it and don't worry about it.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Perfectly legal in VA, I both CC and OC in banks around here. Never been a problem.
    Yep, I CC inside as well. Most of the time I go through drive through, but when I do go in, it's no different than most other places. I don't bank with banks that don't allow it.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    I think we need a definition of a "national bank". "Federal Reserve"?

That would put any armed guards delivering money in a bind.
    I've worked for several financial institutions where gun carrying was not allowed, obviously (at least to me) that did not include security staff that were issued sidearms. Carrying a gun (for an employee) in such an institution would get you immediate termination. Whether you would be prosecuted or not, I guess, would depend on the state laws, if there isn't a federal prohibition.

A national bank is a terrm used in U.S. banking to refer to :an ordinary private bank operating within a specific regulatory structure, which may or may not operate nationally, under the supervision of the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency. (from Wikipedia) If you rob such a bank, the FBI comes after you, unlike robbing your local liquor store. Employees who work for such banks, at least the ones I worked for, were required to be fingerprinted for federal records.

I have always been led to believe that customers may not bring concealed weapons into the bank, but that could have been just the bank I worked for's policy or state law (I don't live in those states anymore, so don't know). In Texas, a pet store can prohibit customers from carrying so clearly banks can, but some banks may allow it, I don't know of any and have never done it.

I just remember a case several years ago in Birmingham, AL where a bank robber committed armed robbery during business hours and was stopped or helped to stop by a customer carrying concealed. The talk around the water cooler was what would happen to the good guy. We all believed that carrying was illegal for customers for some reason. Don't know how it turned out for him, I doubt he was prosecuted.

I would just call 2 or 3 managers at the bank and ask them if it were an issue. Now, I just leave it in the car the same as I do when going into the Post Office. I always try to respect the wishes of the owners of anyplace I go.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links