Bank carrying?

This is a discussion on Bank carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's now legal in NC unless the bank has signs posted prohibiting firearms. My doesn't ban firearms. If they ever do, I'll find a new ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Bank carrying?

It's now legal in NC unless the bank has signs posted prohibiting firearms. My doesn't ban firearms. If they ever do, I'll find a new bank.

2. Remove Ads

If I go into a bank, which is rare, I am armed.
    "Life is tough; it's tougher when you're stupid."

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I always carry in the bank, but then I tend to carry a lot so its just a matter of the normal course of business for me.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

I lock mine in the car safe or use the drive thru here in NE.

Anyplace in NE that is listed in the following statute does not need to post signs.

(Note of interest...The listing below states establishment having a license issued under the Nebraska Liquor Control Act that derives over one-half of its total income from the sale of alcoholic liquor is currently being reviewed/changed. I mean really...how the heck am I suppose to know if half or more of their income is from liquor? And what if it is one month but not the next?

69-2441. Permitholder; locations; restrictions; posting of prohibition; consumption of alcohol; prohibited.
    (1)(a) A permitholder may carry a concealed handgun anywhere in Nebraska, except any: Police, sheriff, or Nebraska State Patrol station or office; detention facility, prison, or jail; courtroom or building which contains a courtroom; polling place during a bona fide election; meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or other political subdivision; meeting of the Legislature or a committee of the Legislature; financial institution; professional or semiprofessional athletic event; building, grounds, vehicle, or sponsored activity or athletic event of any public, private, denominational, or parochial elementary, vocational, or secondary school, a private postsecondary career school as defined in section 85-1603, a community college, or a public or private college, junior college, or university; place of worship; hospital, emergency room, or trauma center; political rally or fundraiser; establishment having a license issued under the Nebraska Liquor Control Act that derives over one-half of its total income from the sale of alcoholic liquor; place where the possession or carrying of a firearm is prohibited by state or federal law; a place or premises where the person, persons, entity, or entities in control of the property or employer in control of the property has prohibited permitholders from carrying concealed handguns into or onto the place or premises; or into or onto any other place or premises where handguns are prohibited by state law.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckman2591 View Post
    So who carries into the bank while doing business with the bank? Is it legal in your state? Some dimwit banker claims its illegal in Ohio
    If the dimwit banker told you not to carry in his bank, it is now illegal for you to do so.
    ericb327 likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    In Ca unless you can find a Federal prohibition its perfectly legal. DR

Quote Originally Posted by Glhadiator View Post
    (Note of interest...The listing below states establishment having a license issued under the Nebraska Liquor Control Act that derives over one-half of its total income from the sale of alcoholic liquor is currently being reviewed/changed. I mean really...how the heck am I suppose to know if half or more of their income is from liquor? And what if it is one month but not the next?
    Interesting. The same prohibition is in Texas but the restaurant/bar must post a sign saying it is a 51% establishment.

I wear my hat and sunglasses and my pistol into my bank. They know me by my first name.
    Arborigine likes this.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Quote Originally Posted by buckman2591 View Post
    So who carries into the bank while doing business with the bank? Is it legal in your state? Some dimwit banker claims its illegal in Ohio
    Yes, we do , if they aren't posted.

Yes, it's legal.

No, there is no federal law banning it. It's not federal property... although some thing due to the FDIC insurance it makes it 'special' somehow and get confused by it. You would have to check Ohio law to see if they are excluded under the statutes.

Some places (which leaves me scratching my head) make it illegal to carry in churches, restaurants, etc. as well...... and Kansas doesn't.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    I wear my hat and sunglasses and my pistol into my bank. They know me by my first name.
    Same here. Small town. Schools and banks are Ok in california. Don't tell our "representatives" in the city.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by odysseus View Post
    A national bank is a terrm used in U.S. banking to refer to :an ordinary private bank operating within a specific regulatory structure, which may or may not operate nationally, under the supervision of the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency. (from Wikipedia) If you rob such a bank, the FBI comes after you, unlike robbing your local liquor store. Employees who work for such banks, at least the ones I worked for, were required to be fingerprinted for federal records.
    As long as the bank is private property the state and business set the rules depending on state law. In order for the Feds to restrict carry the Feds would have to OWN the property, AND the employees would have to be federal employees, AND it would have to be posted against carry. Most people see FDIC and think the feds have some sort of control or ownership. Which is incorrect. And here is the federal code on firearms in federal buildings.

18 U.S.C. 930 : US Code - Section 930: Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Not illegal in Indiana. I carry everywhere I can... only places Indiana prohibits:

Schools/School Property/Property being used for school functions
    Buildings with a courtroom in them
    Hospitals with Psych Wards

Everywhere else is open to legal carry.

Its legal and I carry in banks here in VA. Gun Buster signs carry no force of law except for trespassing if asked to leave and you refuse, and they won't see it and ask me to leave since its concealed. I carry everywhere legal except in my office due to corp policy.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by tpcarc View Post
    Not illegal in Indiana. I carry everywhere I can... only places Indiana prohibits:

Schools/School Property/Property being used for school functions
    Buildings with a courtroom in them
    Hospitals with Psych Wards

Everywhere else is open to legal carry.
    OK, this got my attention! Does this mean (in bold, see above) that they admit that it is the Psycho we need to be afraid of, that the gun in and of itself is not the danger?

Or, that someone might want to go into the Psych ward and clean house?

Because it can't be that they don't want the Psychos to think they can carry a gun in the Psych ward. That would be like a billboard advertisement for blind people.

Are there signs posted that say: ATTENTION, this hospital has a Psych ward, please disarm yourself.

Sorry, I know its off topic. Just couldn't resist.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

Can someone here provide a little clarity on NC law and bank carry....please? I know I cannot carry concealed in my Credit Union as it is posted. However, I am under the impression that I could carry openly if I so chose.
    To add more confusion to the mix, my CU is posted "No CONCEALABLE Weapons" with the pic of a revolver in a circle and a line across. So, if the state law does in fact permit open carry, would I still be in violation due to the sign wording of "concealable"?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links