Bank carrying? - Page 6

Bank carrying?

This is a discussion on Bank carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OldVet I suppose that would vary from state to state. Here in FL, if asked to leave and you refuse, while carrying, ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Bank carrying?

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I suppose that would vary from state to state. Here in FL, if asked to leave and you refuse, while carrying, that becomes "felony" trespassing in lieu of misdemeanor tresspassing.
    It could, but does not automatically become felony trespassing. If you are asked to leave and do not, and that would be very stupid, in most cases you will be cited with a trespass warrant for that property meaning if you return again you can be arrested. Of course this all depends on the trespassers actions and other factors, but very, very, few people are arrested on the first trespass period. Sadly, this leads to a lot of violent crimes especially in cases of domestic abuse cases (although most of these will be arrested, but for domestic violence not trespassing) because the trespasser is likely to ignore the warning and return later.

NOTE:I AM NOT SUGGESTING THAT ANYONE SHOULD EVER IGNORE A REQUEST TO LEAVE PRIVATE PROPERTY. THAT WOULD BE FOOLISH AN COULD LAND YOU IN A HEAP OF TROUBLE. PROPERTY OWNERS HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO ASK YOU TO LEAVE AND THAT RIGHT SHOULD BE RESPECTED.

All I am saying is just being asked to leave for any reason does not automatically mean you will be arrested or charged with felony trespass or even misdemeanor trespass. The act of legal carry and trespass does not always, or even often, equal felony trespass with a firearm and most cases are reduced to misdemeanor trespass. The crime issue in this case is trespassing as that is the law being broken. If you are legally carrying you are not necessarily guilty of trespassing with a firearm. If you are carrying in a location that is legal under 790, trespass is the only crime you are guilty of. There is no law against carrying in a bank and being asked to leave is the issue, not that you are carrying. On the other hand illegal carry and trespass will almost always end in felony charges. This is subject to the responding officers discretion and if cited or arrested the DA's decision to file charges.

HERE IS THE THING, CONCEALED IS CONCEALED AND IF SOMEONE ASK YOU TO LEAVE BECAUSE YOU ARE CARRYING YOU ARE NOT DOING IT CORRECTLY. IN OVER 20 YEARS OF CARRYING I HAVE NEVER BEEN "MADE" OR ASKED TO LEAVE ANY PROPERTY.
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

Quote Originally Posted by buckman2591 View Post
    So who carries into the bank while doing business with the bank? Is it legal in your state? Some dimwit banker claims its illegal in Ohio
    Not legal in my state so I don't. Would if I could, though.

No spell-check with Tapatalk, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Badbullgator View Post
    HERE IS THE THING, CONCEALED IS CONCEALED AND IF SOMEONE ASK YOU TO LEAVE BECAUSE YOU ARE CARRYING YOU ARE NOT DOING IT CORRECTLY. IN OVER 20 YEARS OF CARRYING I HAVE NEVER BEEN "MADE" OR ASKED TO LEAVE ANY PROPERTY.
    Sounds like you are saying that if you carry concealed, no one will ever know, posted property or not. Almost sounds like "famous last words". But, that's your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by odysseus View Post
    Sounds like you are saying that if you carry concealed, no one will ever know, posted property or not. Almost sounds like "famous last words". But, that's your decision.
    Well... if you conceal well then there's no reason anyone would know barring extreme circumstances. If you get into a defensive shoot, have a medical problem that requires an ambulance or end up subject to some kind of LE response you might be discovered, but those are things I would call 'extreme circumstances'.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    All the time. Legal and small credit union . . . president is a gun owner, hunter and someone I've known for >20 yrs.
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckman2591 View Post
    So who carries into the bank while doing business with the bank? Is it legal in your state? Some dimwit banker claims its illegal in Ohio
    I have in New York State, it's legal. I make sure my gun is WELL-concealed, don't want to deposit my check and have a SWAT Team greeting me on the way out.

Quote Originally Posted by odysseus View Post
    Please do not use a quote from me out of context. GUN BUSTER SIGNS IN FLORIDA CARRY NO WEIGHT. Therefore in FLORIDA yes that is what I am saying. No famous last words, I do not carry where it is illegal for me to do so, however, anyplace with a sign that is not off limits by law (which I have posted above for Florida) is fair game and perfectly legal for me to carry.
    To say concealed is concealed at a school, jail, sporting event, post office or any other place is illegal and completely out of the contex in which my reply was written.

Interesting you choose to only use a portion of my post, leaving out

NOTE:I AM NOT SUGGESTING THAT ANYONE SHOULD EVER IGNORE A REQUEST TO LEAVE PRIVATE PROPERTY. THAT WOULD BE FOOLISH AN COULD LAND YOU IN A HEAP OF TROUBLE. PROPERTY OWNERS HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO ASK YOU TO LEAVE AND THAT RIGHT SHOULD BE RESPECTED.

Again, in Florida and I am speaking ONLY of Florida to address the person I responded too, signs mean nothing. If a property owner wants you to leave they may ask you to do so for any reason, a gun, you ugly mug, the color of your hair..... If you do not honor the request to leave you MAY be sited with trespass. Unless you are being really stupid you will not automatically be charged with trespassing with a firearm.

Please save the trolling for a fishing forum

Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    I've never seen anything about WI law that says it's illegal, Fausty. I carry my concealed gun to the bank in Brown Deer all the time. My bank isn't posted, either. I conceal well so nobody even knows I have it.
    brown deer eh? i lived in port for the last three years. just moved back up to oshkosh. ozaukee county is one of the nicest places in this state barring the wonderful north woods.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Please do not use a quote from me out of context. GUN BUSTER SIGNS IN FLORIDA CARRY NO WEIGHT. Therefore in FLORIDA yes that is what I am saying. No famous last words, I do not carry where it is illegal for me to do so, however, anyplace with a sign that is not off limits by law (which I have posted above for Florida) is fair game and perfectly legal for me to carry.
    To say concealed is concealed at a school, jail, sporting event, post office or any other place is illegal and completely out of the contex in which my reply was written.

Interesting you choose to only use a portion of my post, leaving out

Again, in Florida and I am speaking ONLY of Florida to address the person I responded too, signs mean nothing. If a property owner wants you to leave they may ask you to do so for any reason, a gun, you ugly mug, the color of your hair..... If you do not honor the request to leave you MAY be sited with trespass. Unless you are being really stupid you will not automatically be charged with trespassing with a firearm.

Please save the trolling for a fishing forum
    Sorry I hurt your feelings. Didn't think ... still don't think that I quoted you out of context. As I said, it's your decision gator, up to you, I tend to want to respect the wishes of business owners that I patronize ... friends homes, too, unless I'm given a pretty good reason not to.
    Ogre likes this.

In my town the bank has a no firearms sign at every door. I feel this is more for their legal protection in case of an armed robbery where someone gets shot. Not for me as a law abiding CCW carrier, besides if I am ever "made" and ask to leave, I'll close my 30 year old account and then leave.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

Have done it a lot. Going to do it today in fact.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I work at a Colorado bank and carry every damn day.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

TW - I am sure those signs work to keep bank robbers wearing hoodies, hats and sunglasses out.
    Probably don't keep them out,but if you walk in like that I'm pretty sure the silent alarm is getting pushed before you ever reach the counter
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Probably don't keep them out,but if you walk in like that I'm pretty sure the silent alarm is getting pushed before you ever reach the counter
    Kind of doubt that, I am betting the popo wouldn't be to happy responding to a false alarm. There is no law that says you can't wear sunglasses and a hat or hoodie in a bank so pushing a silent alarm would be like using the police for private security.
    911 what's you emergency?
    There is a man in a hoodie in he bank.....
    Sir, this line is for emergencies only.

Kind of doubt that, I am betting the popo wouldn't be to happy responding to a false alarm. There is no law that says you can't wear sunglasses and a hat or hoodie in a bank so pushing a silent alarm would be like using the police for private security.
    911 what's you emergency?
    There is a man in a hoodie in he bank.....
    Sir, this line is for emergencies only.
    "Yeah, but he's being all... patient and stuff. We're not used to that around here. He's not even swearing!"
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Links