Bank carrying? - Page 7

Bank carrying?

This is a discussion on Bank carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by donp326 ...besides if I am ever "made" and ask to leave, I'll close my 30 year old account and then leave. I'd ...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Bank carrying?

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by donp326 View Post
    ...besides if I am ever "made" and ask to leave, I'll close my 30 year old account and then leave.
    I'd seriously consider closing that account and telling them why.

Although, it could be that they know you carry and just ignore it. (Hmmm. Mixed feelings.)

In my state, it is not illegal, to violate a posted premises unless it is a location governed by federal law.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    If the bank is posted it's illegal.

If not, there is nothing in the ORC that specifically makes banks a prohibited area, you can read it yourself. And you should have a copy of the AG's handbook that lists prohibited places.

Although there are some banks that post all their branches around here, but there are many that do not.
    I would have to disagree with that statement. If the bank is posted, but there is no state law against carrying in a bank, then its NOT illegal, but it may be "against store policy" (or bank policy)

The 2 are VERY different things. A store may ask you to leave if you violate their policy, even though you aren't breaking any state laws. If you don't leave quietly, you could be arrested for trespassing, disorderly conduct, etc. But if you politely leave, you wouldn't be arrested by the police because you simply violated a store policy. So again, violating a store policy is not the same as breaking a law (committing an illegal act)

The only "no weapons allowed" signs I have ever seen in my entire state were in the front windows of 2 hospitals.

Quote Originally Posted by romansten9 View Post
    I would have to disagree with that statement. If the bank is posted, but there is no state law against carrying in a bank, then its NOT illegal, but it may be "against store policy" (or bank policy)

The 2 are VERY different things. A store may ask you to leave if you violate their policy, even though you aren't breaking any state laws. If you don't leave quietly, you could be arrested for trespassing, disorderly conduct, etc. But if you politely leave, you wouldn't be arrested by the police because you simply violated a store policy. So again, violating a store policy is not the same as breaking a law (committing an illegal act)
    The OP is in Ohio, and is asking about a bank in Ohio. And I was referencing the Ohio Revised Code, and Ohio Attorney General's CHL handbook. Laws vary from state to state. In Ohio, signs carry the force of the law. So you are both violating policy, and breaking the law in Ohio, its the same thing.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I work for a small Midwestern four state financial institution that has a no carry with immediate termination policy, so I have no comment on that other than to say I adhere to the policy. The facilities in my area are all posted at every public entrance. However, there is an eating establishment that says it is illegal to carry a gun in their restaurant because they serve alcoholic beverages. The door is not posted, just this sign high on the wall above the checkout counter. Oklahoma law states, that you cannot carry in an establishment who's primary business is the selling of alcoholic beverages. So, in my opinion, this sign is NOT legal and I carry in there all the time. Concealed of course. What do you think?

i carry concealed in my bank in Mo. it's only a crime if you are asked to leave and you don't

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    No way! In CA?
    California is possibly the least restrictive state as far as where you can carry a concealed firearm with a permit. You can carry in K-12 schools, universities, bars, liquor stores, banks, churches, almost anywhere. Signs do not have the force of law.

Here in Colorado not only do I carry in my bank I OPEN CARRY and have never even gotten a second look, including a sheriffs deputy that was in the bank one day.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Here in Colorado not only do I carry in my bank I OPEN CARRY and have never even gotten a second look, including a sheriffs deputy that was in the bank one day.
    I love Colorado and your avatar. In Georgia, you can carry in a financial institution as long as the financial institution allows it.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    The OP is in Ohio, and is asking about a bank in Ohio. And I was referencing the Ohio Revised Code, and Ohio Attorney General's CHL handbook. Laws vary from state to state. In Ohio, signs carry the force of the law. So you are both violating policy, and breaking the law in Ohio, its the same thing.
    Ok. that makes sense now. Thanks for clarifying that. In that case, I'm really glad I don't live in Ohio! Pretty scary when any non elected person can post a sign and it becomes law for everyone else. (So I didn't notice the business that says no customers can wear red t-shirts and now I'm arrested!)

Don't ask, don't tell.

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Great topic! From what I've read in the Virginia statutes, there's no mention of not being allowed to carry in banks or in financial institutions. Since receiving my CCW last month, I have not entered a bank so I have not had a chance to see if a notice is posted or not.

Any thoughts from the State of Virginia on this topic?
    Operation Joint Endeavor, Bosnia and Herzegovina, US Army, 1st Armored Div (1995-96)
    SFOR, Stabilization Force, Bosnia and Herzegovina, US Army, 1st Armored Div (1997-98)
    Operation Iraqi Freedom, Iraq, US Army, 3rd Infantry Div (2007-08)
    Operation Enduring Freedom, Horn of Africa, US Army (2010)

Here in FL you car carry into a bank and I do it almost everyday. It's always IWB so no one can see it so it really doesn't matter to me.
    Sig Sauer P229 SCT, Sig Sauer P938, Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 17 Gen 3, Remington 870, Grandpa's Old Single Shot 12 Gauge

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar

Bank carrying?

In Tennessee, if there is no anti-gun zone sign then it's fair game to carry.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Sponsored Links