Bank carrying?

This is a discussion on Bank carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So who carries into the bank while doing business with the bank? Is it legal in your state? Some dimwit banker claims its illegal in ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Bank carrying?

Bank carrying?

So who carries into the bank while doing business with the bank? Is it legal in your state? Some dimwit banker claims its illegal in Ohio

2. Remove Ads

Here in Montana it's illegal to carry in a financial institution such as a bank or credit union, so I do most of my banking at the drive through window.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It's not in FL. The notice on the entry is no hats, hoodies up, sunglasses, and something else I can't remember, but no "No Guns" signs.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Here in North Carolina, up until this past December concealed carry was not allowed in financial institutions. New laws now allow it unless gun buster sign is posted. Gun buster signs carry the weight of the law here.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by iguanadon View Post
    Here in North Carolina, up until this past December concealed carry was not allowed in financial institutions. New laws now allow it unless gun buster sign is posted. Gun buster signs carry the weight of the law here.
    The more I hear about my former home state of NC, the more it sounds as if you can carry a firearm any where but every where.
    Survival likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The more I hear about my former home state of NC, the more it sounds as if you can carry a firearm any where but every where.
    The two that drive me nuts (even as a new CCP holder)

1) no carry in restaurants that SERVE alcohol, even if you don't consume. Legislature is trying to change this to be in line with 44 other states.
    2) no carry anywhere that charges admission... ie. movie theaters, etc.
    OldVet likes this.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

Perfectly legal here in TX, unless I'd 30.06 posted. I carry at my bank every time I go, which is not too often.

You're good in GA. As for Ohio:

2923.126 [Effective Until 1/1/2014] Duties of licensed individual.

(B) A valid license issued under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun in any manner prohibited under division (B) of section 2923.12 of the Revised Code or in any manner prohibited under section 2923.16 of the Revised Code. A valid license does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun into any of the following places: (1) A police station, sheriff’s office, or state highway patrol station, premises controlled by the bureau of criminal identification and investigation, a state correctional institution, jail, workhouse, or other detention facility, an airport passenger terminal, or an institution that is maintained, operated, managed, and governed pursuant to division (A) of section 5119.02 of the Revised Code or division (A)(1) of section 5123.03 of the Revised Code;
    (2) A school safety zone if the licensee’s carrying the concealed handgun is in violation of section 2923.122 of the Revised Code;
    (3) A courthouse or another building or structure in which a courtroom is located, in violation of section 2923.123 of the Revised Code;
    (4) Any premises or open air arena for which a D permit has been issued under Chapter 4303. of the Revised Code if the licensee’s carrying the concealed handgun is in violation of section 2923.121 of the Revised Code;
    (5) Any premises owned or leased by any public or private college, university, or other institution of higher education, unless the handgun is in a locked motor vehicle or the licensee is in the immediate process of placing the handgun in a locked motor vehicle;
    (6) Any church, synagogue, mosque, or other place of worship, unless the church, synagogue, mosque, or other place of worship posts or permits otherwise;
    (7) A child day-care center, a type A family day-care home, a type B family day-care home, or a type C family day-care home, except that this division does not prohibit a licensee who resides in a type A family day-care home, a type B family day-care home, or a type C family day-care home from carrying a concealed handgun at any time in any part of the home that is not dedicated or used for day-care purposes, or from carrying a concealed handgun in a part of the home that is dedicated or used for day-care purposes at any time during which no children, other than children of that licensee, are in the home;
    (8) An aircraft that is in, or intended for operation in, foreign air transportation, interstate air transportation, intrastate air transportation, or the transportation of mail by aircraft;
    (9) Any building that is a government facility of this state or a political subdivision of this state and that is not a building that is used primarily as a shelter, restroom, parking facility for motor vehicles, or rest facility and is not a courthouse or other building or structure in which a courtroom is located that is subject to division (B)(3) of this section;
    (10) A place in which federal law prohibits the carrying of handguns.

No mention of Banks, Credit Unions or the like. And don't let them tell you that FDIC Insured makes them a federal installation.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

I do, although I don't find the need to go to the bank very often. Practically everything I need to do can be done online, unless I need to withdraw cash, and even that can be done for free at the ATM at the local drug store. Actually, my bank is a Credit Union. I've moved to new states twice, so the nearest branch is a day and a half drive. Luckily, they are members of the credit union consortium so I am able to use a different CU's local branch for those times I do need to conduct business in person. That CU serves the local armed forces and luckily this particular branch is not on base, so I can legally carry on premises.
    PatAz likes this.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

Distinguished Member
    Yeah... print this out and ask that banker to highlight the text that prohibits you from carrying in his bank. Tell him you'll buy him lunch if he's successful :)

Lawriter - ORC - Chapter 2923: CONSPIRACY, ATTEMPT, AND COMPLICITY; WEAPONS CONTROL; CORRUPT ACTIVITY
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    It's not in FL. The notice on the entry is no hats, hoodies up, sunglasses, and something else I can't remember, but no "No Guns" signs.
    It is perfectly legal to do so in Florida, regardless of any signs.

I have worked for banks. My impression was it is a federal law that prohibits carrying in a national bank. No?

Hays

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckman2591 View Post
    So who carries into the bank while doing business with the bank? Is it legal in your state? Some dimwit banker claims its illegal in Ohio
    Not illegal in OH but signs have force of law. I carried open at the PNC in West Chester OH. I won't step foot in the bank without my gun.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

my bank isn't posted. as far as i understand it is legal in WI.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by odysseus View Post
    I have worked for banks. My impression was it is a federal law that prohibits carrying in a national bank. No?

Hays
    I think we need a definition of a "national bank". "Federal Reserve"?

That would put any armed guards delivering money in a bind.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links